Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,964 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving to Mass in January of 2009 to accept a job in Watertown. I need an apartment nearby and am willing to have a roommate.
My predicament is that I'm unsure, right now, where the best place to locate a cheap apartment would be so that I have a place to go when I arrive. The apartment doesn't have to be in Watertown, I just have to be able to get to Watertown without a car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My range is, ideally, less than $500 a month. I know that's low but that's why I'm willing to share the apartment, if needed.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 09:26 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Watertown would be a good place to start in that hunt, as would be its neighbor to the west, Waltham. In both areas there's a wide-ranging selection of housing styles: old but well-kept duplexes, mid-20th-century apartment clusters, and recently constructed "townhomes." North Waltham is home to one megacomplex after another, but isn't as well served by public transportation as the rest of the city.

Bus route 70 originates in the western reaches of Waltham and runs right down Main St from there all the way to Watertown Square, thence to Cambridge by way of Arsenal St. Chances are you'll get to know its timetable by heart, lol. During the week they roll out every ten minutes or less during peak times. And if you wind up having a late night in Waltham (lots more entertainment options than in Watertown) and it's after about 1 AM, there's good taxi service. Ditto for Cambridge.

Even in today's real estate market, the only conceivable way you'll squeak by on $500 a month for rent would be to go in with two or more other people on a three-or-more-bedroom place. Definitely find out whether heat's included before you sign a lease, too.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:03 PM

79 posts, read 280,212 times
I definately agree with Goyguy! What part of Watertown will you be working? I might be able to give you more specific transportation/housing information.

If you will be close to the square then most bus route terminate there from many communities such as Newton, Cambridge, Waltham, Brighten. I would also check out Craig's list for apartments or use a realtor. I just helped my brother find a Studio in Watertown using Craig's list, within walking distance to the square, including heat and hot water and the rent was $1100/month.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,964 times
I definitely am willing to have roommates...looking to actually, so long as I get my own room, since in my experience roommates are a good connection and tool to meet people when you move to a new place. The only problem is I am not sure where to look. I will be working near the Perkins School for the Blind...that's the best landmark I can think of. Anyway, I'm not too worried about transit (I've done some research) but I will definitely check out Craigslist. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Old 11-06-2008, 06:19 PM

79 posts, read 280,212 times
I grew up right around the corner from Perkins. It's a nice area. When I was searching for my brother, Craigs list produced the most result. There is not a lot of apartments in the local newspaper. You could try the Boston Globe and the only other suggestion I have would be to use a realtor.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts