Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 PM

26 posts, read 124,235 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving from Monterey Ca to Mass. He got a really good job offer in Peabody. Rockport looks very nice. I myself have never been back east. I'm a california girl. So, any comments or ideas would be appreciated. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:05 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
The North Shore is a lovely area - lots to do outdoors (biking, hiking, parks, etc), beautiful rocky shores, nice quaint shops, good restaurants, a few fun bars, and historic places. There are even people who scuba in Gloucester. I like to bike in the area and check out all the pretty little antiques and gardens. My favorite areas of the North Shore are Rockport, Manchester-by-the-Sea, and Marblehead.

But I have to warn you, the water here is pretty freezing!

ps. I have some PDFs with lots of info on that area. If you want to PM me with your email I'd be glad to forward them along. For some reason I can't figure out how to do attachments here.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:24 PM

26 posts, read 124,235 times
Thank you! Email is luvupug1@juno.com. Where do YOU live?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:13 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
Lippo,
Rockport will be a very pleasant tradeoff for leaving Monterey.
The ocean water temp is actually comparable, the difference being no cute CA sea otters and no kelp. Oh, and no Great White Sharks either.
A few more differences are that it will be more affordable, fewer golfing options, and the weather here is the same at the coast as it is inland.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:17 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
I've never been to Monterey, but Rockport is awesome. The commute to Peabody would take less than half an hour.

Here are some things about Rockport to know. There doesn't seem to be any municipal water/sewer system, given the number of septic-service trucks I've seen when I go there. A few years ago the laws concerning septic tanks were made stricter, and many people got caught having to pay big money to bring theirs into compliance. For cooking and heating, similarly I've noticed a lot of propane containers attached to houses, leading me to believe there's no natural-gas pipeline into the town either.
Aside from a small IGA and a couple of convenience stores, you have to do necessity shopping in neighboring Gloucester. That's the downside of living in a "historic" community - the commercial zoning or lack thereof. Seafood restaurants (which for the most part are closing for the winter as we speak), art galleries, book stores, and boutiques are nice for tourists to have but don't go far in day-to-day life.
Rockport's public schools are OK. With the town's physical setting being what it is, and the strong presence of art and music societies, a lot of worthwhile non-classroom education is there for the taking. The absence of cinemas, much in the way of outdoor recreation areas (aside from the beaches), and so on makes for packs of kids waiting for something to happen during the evenings. They tend to hang at Dock Square - a hub for visitors - or outside the Rockport Market and the nearby pizza parlor but don't appear to be "up to no good," just bored. Better that than hours parked in front of computer games or Facebook, I s'pose. I think a Rockport-raised child would go on to positive things.
Much the same can be said for these other coastal towns close by Peabody: Marblehead, Swampscott, and Ipswich. Dollars would play a part in your decision-making, of course; Marblehead is by far the most affluent of the four communities, with Swampscott not far behind and Ipswich and Rockport being unquestionably the cheapest. Peabody itself shouldn't be ruled out entirely. It has some nice older neighborhoods along with its most affluent corner (West Peabody) but definitely doesn't have the appeal of a seaside village that the other places can boast of. The big plus of that city is that work would be a hop skip and jump away, and so would a big shopping mall and megasupermarkets. Peabody and Danvers are, in fact, the locus of retail for the entire North Shore.
So, if art and music appreciation play a major part in your lives, and the charm of an 18th- or 19th-century home outweighs the aggravations of bottled gas and no town water, Rockport would be the place to move.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:00 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
Lippo - I'd recommend removing your email address from the public forum because it can be suceptible to spamming. I hope you got the info sent ok.

To answer your question, I live in Sherborn, which is a lovely small town west of Boston but much of my family is in the North Shore and that's how I've gotten to know the area so well over the years. We got married in Gloucester. There's something special about that area I'm drawn to.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:11 PM

20 posts, read 43,471 times
My family has lived in Gloucester since I was born, and I'm currently living here to take care of my grandparents. It's a good town(neighbor to Rockport). I'm not sure what your specifically looking for as far as info is concerned.

Night life depends on your age. It's not the greatest for a guy in his lower 20s like myself, but there is things to do.

Lots of outdoorsy kind of things you can do in the area. Hiking, fishing, boating - all the fun stuff.

If you still have questions, get a bit more specific and I can try to answer them for you.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:25 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley86 View Post
Night life depends on your age.
Good point. I mentioned the idle youth of Rockport in my last post, but it can get pretty boring for grown-ups at times too - if those grown-ups are into nights out that don't involve recitals or art shows. Only in recent years has the town not been completely "dry." The only revision to the "blue laws," though, is that restaurants can serve beer and wine *with meals*. Full liquor licenses are still unheard of, ditto for bars and package stores. Gotta go to "Glosta" for all that.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 AM

196 posts, read 992,522 times
Rockport is an awesome town....especially in the Summer
as someone said you want nightlife excitement though...it is not the town for you

but if you want a clean, beautiful, seaside town with low crime and amazing seaside views...Rockport is the place

I try to go up there every summer

it is only an hour away from Bosotn by commuter train

Old 11-21-2008, 12:01 AM

169 posts, read 1,084,147 times
Hi Lippo,

I dont know anything about Rockport..........Just wanted to say hello From one Monterey girl to another!!
I live in Las vegas now.......but I try to get back to Monterey at least 3 times a year to see the family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts