Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,922 times

Advertisements

I'm resurrecting this thread because I have a somewhat relevant question....

We are new snowboarders interested in taking a trip so I appreciated all the suggestions in this thread!

1) I know it likely varies year to year but, generally, is there decent snow for skiing/snowboarding by late December?

2) Is access to any of these resorts tough without a 4WD vehicle?

3) Additional opinions on Mt Wachusett?

Last edited by dravogadro; 10-13-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 12:14 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Try Pats Peak in Henniker, NH as it is a good beginner ski area. Lots of ski and snowboard instructors there that really take the time to go over all the items necessary for newcomers to the slopes. Easy drive from Mass as well. Roads there are fine in winter

Old 10-13-2012, 08:19 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
In Mass there are some fairly beginner friendly places in the wetsern part of the state. Blandford ski area,Berkshire East,Jay Peak,Sugarloaf are all pretty decent mountains easily reached by any type of car.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:49 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post

We are new snowboarders interested in taking a trip so I appreciated all the suggestions in this thread!

1) I know it likely varies year to year but, generally, is there decent snow for skiing/snowboarding by late December?

Early in the season (and late in the season), I typically suggest Wildcat in NH or Sugarloaf in Maine (sugarloaf has already had snow). Both of those places see a little more snow earlier than most other places (there are places in VT that get good early snow too). Late December is usually mediocre unless you happen to go during/right after a big storm. If there isn't a big storm, the snow in late December is typically mostly man-made and there's not much of a base which means you typically have icy conditions by midday.

Neither Wildcat nor Sugarloaf is really a day trip. Sugarloaf is most definitely a weekend trip and Wildcat is at least an overnight.

are you asking for options in addition to Wachusett or optons for boarders on Wachusett? Personally, I rarely go to Wachusett. I think the crowds are often too big given the quality of terrain. I also don't find it challenging. However, if you're a novice boarder, it'll be more than enough. If you're looking for good day trips from the Boston area, I always enjoy Sunapee, Waterville Valley, or Loon.. Bretton Woods is a great place for novice skiers and boarders too. That's a weekend trip.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
I agree with Irfox, unless it's further north, and a very high elevation, December is a hit-or-miss. Two years ago we got buried on December vacation, a year ago North Conway didn't get first snow fall until December vacation.

North Conway is actually the most popular ski town north of Boston for families. It's 2.5 hours from Boston, which is not too bad, especially because the second half is very scenic. There are several mountains to choose from nearby. There is snowtubing on Cranmore, mountaincoasters on Cramore and Attitash. Childrens Museum. Macdonalds with a giant climbing structure. Lots of hotels and condos (with indoor waterparks and free breakfast). The Muddy Moose restaurant. North Conway scenic railroad. Walkable downtown with shops and restaurants. 6,000 feet tall Mt. Washington. Outlet shopping. Sleigh rides, ice skating. A perfectly scenic winter wonderland. But when school is out be prepared for crowds and traffic.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM

686 posts, read 1,138,239 times
Smugglers Notch in Vermont is consistently ranked as New England's best ski resort for families. A little further afield than the NH places but an all highway drive via 93 and 89.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM

44 posts, read 135,584 times
Cranmore is great for kids--plenty to do in North Conway, the mountain isnt too steep, and they have a fantastic ski school.

New Hampshire Skiing - NH Ski Resort - Cranmore Mountain Resort

Old 10-16-2012, 05:59 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post

1. Late December is typically not great for ski conditions. The ski areas would like you to believe that things are awesome, but it's usually hit or miss. That said, however, my family typically goes skiing over the New Year's weekend and we have a good time.

2. A 4WD vehicle is not necessary.

3. I'm not a big fan of Wachusett but that's because I live north of Boston and for the amount of time it takes me to drive to Wachusett, I could be at a ski area in NH. It's expensive too! For people in the Worcester area or in CT, Wachusett can be a decent alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts