Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM

35 posts, read 114,908 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm ready to get out of texas and would like a complete change of scenery. I've been researching most of new england and one of my interests is in the boston area. My criteria is a semi-rural area within 30ish miles of a good sized city. I'd like an area that is liberal friendly, with a somewhat diverse community. I'm a single female in my mid 30's who is open-minded and gay friendly. I love the outdoors but like to have a fun urban area nearby. I don't mind the cold, but can't stand the heat. I'm open to buying, up to 250k, prefferably with a few acres to roam. any suggestions. Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 AM

18,606 posts, read 33,173,132 times
I'm afraid my only suggestion is to change your expectations or your budget, at least as it applies anywhere near Boston or even halfway across the state.
As for areas far from Boston, I don't know about any "good-sized cities" where you can get a few acres for $250K, never mind diverse, etc. I'm open to hearing that I'm wrong, but I just don't think it exists. By the way, what is your work situation? That makes all the difference regarding place.
Any other opinions?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 AM

35 posts, read 114,908 times
My work situation is not an issue as I work from home. I'm more flexible on the distance from and size of the city as well as the area of new england. I don't want to live in rural maine, but other areas like NH, Conn. or even New York might be doable. I just hit on Boston because I like the colonial history, cultural activity and it's proximity to the ocean. thanks.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:05 AM

12,564 posts, read 21,726,252 times
^I'm going to have to agree. 250K might get you a Condo in a suburb or a home in one of the "gateway cities" (Brockton, Lowell, Lawrence, Haverhill, MAYBE Lynn) within 30 miles of Boston.... all of those are more urban. If you DO find a home within that price range and within 30mi of Boston, it won't have much property at all (.5 acre probably-tops).

I do think you will have to adjust the budget a bit. I would suggest checking the Providence area as it's a little bit cheaper. It's a smaller city (176,000 city 1.6 Million Metro), but still big enough and it's not too far from Boston. you would have better luck finding something within 30mi of the city. For example, I just saw in the paper a home in Rehoboth, MA for $270,000 with 1500sq ft on 1.75 acres. Rehoboth is pretty rural, but its 15-20 minutes drive out of Downtown Providence.

I wouldn't say give up on Boston at all, but you'll have to look REAL hard. keep in mind that a home listed at even $320,000 may be able to be negotiated down given the current economic climate. I think the Boston area is a great choice, but it's very expensive for homes. GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-11-2008, 01:30 PM

379 posts, read 1,413,826 times
In New England there is no diversity in semi rural areas, (not in my experience) You might be able to stretch 250K out in Haverhill or maybe Amesbury...or maybe a rare deal in Danvers or out that way...there are actually Horses out that way but it's not the stix. Maybe an urban Vermont area would be a better deal.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:48 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,497,540 times
You sound perfect for the Pioneer Valley (Amherst, Northampton, etc.) Of course you will want to live in one of the rural towns surrounding those towns, but you might really enjoy it there. Not close to the beach, but gay friendly, lots of culture from the bazillions of universities there, sophisticated people who enjoy the country.

For some reason there isn't an equivalent rural area closer to Boston. It's either suburban or really local and conservative. The place you'd want to look at in Boston is Jamaica Plain, but that's a city.

Rhode Island, I don't know, I hear everyone is related to each other there. (Sorry.)

Old 11-11-2008, 05:33 PM

12,564 posts, read 21,726,252 times
Quote:
Rhode Island, I don't know, I hear everyone is related to each other there. (Sorry.)
Really? besides the fact that this is just a dumb statement, I'm confused because I've never heard anyone say that about RI before. In fact, I've heard people make (ignorant) statements like that many times about Western MA and the Pioneer Valley plenty, but never about the whole of RI.

That being said, the pioneer valley is pretty and a good suggestion. Northampton and Amherst are beautiful and VERY liberal. Springfield and Hartford aren't too far away and Worcester is close enough as well. You're within 2 hours to Boston and it's not a killer drive down to New York City.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 PM

284 posts, read 1,162,794 times
I'd say the Pioneer Valley is a good fit. Farther east, closer to Boston, it will be less rural. Have you considered Burlington, VT? Very liberal, lower cost of living, great scenery!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,497,540 times
Yeah, well, about RI, I said sorry in advance, just repeating what a friend had told me who lived there. Would hate for someone to feel marginalized. Which NEVER happens in New England!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:58 AM

9,206 posts, read 14,763,261 times
RI is small but we are nestled very close to MA and CT and the feel of the state is quintessential New England. We have over a million people only some of whom are closely related!!! Providence RI is a sophisticated, colorful, attractive city which attracts tourism. It has several good websites you can look at- especially look at Richard Benjamin's photos.
I just checked our housing website
and put in up to 275K and over 25,000 sq ft of land- came up with some possibilities- check in Foster, Glocester, Exeter, Hopkinton, Wyoming.... you could also put in the lost square footage and no town to see the whole state.

I see my post has been edited too bad- because the link is for the free Rhode Island Living MLS for the entire state- it is not a specific real estate website and I think it would have really helped the OP

Last edited by Hollytree; 11-12-2008 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: No links to specific real estate sites, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts