Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer5 View Post
That is my major point when I say a city of no class, and it really does sadden me. I need to try some of these places you were talking about (the new ones, I am a regular at Candleworks and Freestones)... how were they? Have you been to Cafe Balena?
I hear you about the "class" issue. I would even go as far as to say that your 60% (having no class) estimate may be a little low. This past weekend while out with friends downtown we were quite surprised that with the new additions, there were a lot of options for people doing a little bar hop. Furthermore, they were desirable options (with the exception of the national club)... not dangerous or tough options. The thing we noticed is that the nicer and newer venues are operated, owned, and frequented by those who live, or used to live, outside of the city. It seems that there is a real lack of class amongst many who live in the city (certainly not all though). Anyway, I think that will slowly change with progress. I do hope that that change doesn't push out the groups and cultures that make New Bedford a diverse place (i.e. the Portuguese).

Dining out is a hobby of mine (self-proclaimed "foodie"), and I've found that New Bedford has a nice little niche. It's no Providence or Boston, but good eats aren't hard to come by. I love Freestones, I really do. Candleworks is good, but I've felt that it's gone downhill a bit in more recent years. Cafe Balena is nice. It's a small place (maybe 10-15 tables tops) and was BYOB so you could save a few bucks that way and still enjoy your favorite beverage. I think they have their liquor license now (as of November) so I doubt it's still BYOB. The food is quite good; mostly Northern Italian, but selections from other regions too. The atmosphere is wonderful especially when there's a singing waiter or waitress on duty. I would strongly recommend it. The Waterfront Grille serves up fresh and fantastic seafood (check their menu: WaterFront Grille ). For Portuguese, you can't go wrong with Antonio's and I like Adega in the South End. I still haven't been to Cafe Funchal and I'm looking to check out Brick, the new brick-oven pizzeria on Union and Destination Soups, also on Union. I would definetly suggest checking those places out. If you like craft beer and micro-brews, the Pour Farm and the Rose Alley Ale House are nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,299,411 times
Quote:
When I came to New Bedford, I knew nothing about this city, and immediately just considered it to be another Brockton, and Fall River, but I couldnt have been more wrong!

I have an office in the city now, and rent is cheap, but I am in a building that has such history to it, on cobblestone roads and lantern lights, at night this place looks like london!
New Bedford - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marc72/sets/72157602496768846/ - broken link)

Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,189 times
Quote:
I was eating soft shell crab, and listening to them butcher the english language and get all the facts wrong on every scale and level while trying to tear me down. I did say where my roots were, right? I finally got so sick of hearing it, I ripped into them, and when one guy went to lunge at me, I kicked the stool out from under him before he could, and grabbed him by the.... well, lets just say, 3 fingers on ones throat with a little pressure, he makes sure his friends dont do anything to escalate the situation. I walked out of there safely, and with the bartenders phone number... she really like how I handled the situation.
Let us know when you finish the novel.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:13 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,189 times
Quote:
In my message, did I say "Invented the Internet"? NO and neither did Al Gore in that interview... that was Republican SPIN... He did however, head the committee that CREATED the internet for the Military, !
Really? You mean it wasn't the DARPA grant to Leonard Kleinrock? It was really some kind of legislation from Al Gore? Really?

Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 PM

20 posts, read 48,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
Excuse me "created"

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet" Gore said when asked to cite accomplishments that separate him from another Democratic presidential hopeful, former Sen. Bill Bradley of New Jersey, during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN on March 9, 1999.

Again I stand by my statement. If you agree with Al Gore, you'll love Mass.
So, I never said "as VP he Crated..." nor "He Created" He said "took the initiative to Create the Internet" and if you look at the Internet, you will see it was first used as a military tool, and the real creators site AL GORE as the real reason it was pushed to public and mainstream use... so, again, I really like making people like you eat this... Do you hav anything to wash it down with?

"Gore was one of the "Atari Democrats" (this is where Steve Jobs and Steve Wos. started their careers...) who were given this name due to their "passion for technological issues, from biomedical research and genetic engineering to the environmental impact of the "greenhouse effect." On March 19, 1979 he became the first member of Congress to appear on C-SPAN. During this time, Gore co-chaired the Congressional Clearinghouse on the Future, along with Newt Gingrich. In addition, he has been described as having been a "genuine nerd, with a geek reputation running back to his days as a futurist Atari Democrat in the House. Before computers were comprehensible, let alone sexy, the poker-faced Gore struggled to explain artificial intelligence and fiber-optic networks to sleepy colleagues." Internet pioneers Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn have also noted that, "as far back as the 1970s, Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high speed telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected official to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a broader impact than just improving the conduct of science and scholarship [...] the Internet, as we know it today, was not deployed until 1983. When the Internet was still in the early stages of its deployment, Congressman Gore provided intellectual leadership by helping create the vision of the potential benefits of high speed computing and communication. As an example, he sponsored hearings on how advanced technologies might be put to use in areas like coordinating the response of government agencies to natural disasters and other crises."

OH, BTW, he is also on the Board of Apple Inc. for the same reasons...

So, with THAT MUCH involvement in getting the internet to YOU, I would attribute him to be just as instrumental in the CREATION of the internet as the guys who wrote the code...

After all, Steve Jobs is the "creator of Apple" but Steve Wos. wrote every line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Really? You mean it wasn't the DARPA grant to Leonard Kleinrock? It was really some kind of legislation from Al Gore? Really?
No, I miss spoke here, he was instrumental in getting it from the military to you...

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-15-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Default LOL I can be long winded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Let us know when you finish the novel.
I was just trying to point out similarities with some radicals I have come across as well, turning from words to violence when they get beaten with words. I have never started a physical fight over politics, although have gotten into a couple when the opposition was proven to be either wrong, or ignorant. I am not suggesting that Conservatives are ignorant either, I respect their positions, but not radicals, on either side quite frankly... This is MA blog though, and I do want to move off the straight political stump, unless it applies to the topic at hand.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:36 PM

Default I am new on this site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I hear you about the "class" issue. .
so sorry for not shortening the quoted responses...
As for Cafe Balena, I have been there many times and love it. Candleworks is now owned by the Head Chef, and since his control, it has turned around for the better I believe. The previous owner had some personal problems, and let it go down hill, but the new owner had all the wing-backs refinished, and added a very desirable lunch menu, both in price and portion... so much you forget it is a "better" restaurant when you pop in for dinner after being there for lunch several times in a row...lol
"do you have reservations" as your standing there in jeans, without one saying to yourself "wasnt I just here like 5 times without?" I think that was one of the best things he could have done though, it makes for a fantastic meeting spot for business lunch's, and you dont drop a lot to entertain a potential client etc...

I am NOT so fond of Providence though... some of the restaurants are nice, and Fed. Hill has come around a lot in recent years, but besides that... NAH!

Boston, thats home to me, and I can go from Victoria's Cafe in the North end to Top of the Hub, to even Fridays on newbury St. for all I care, I just love it! Living there, I dont think you can appreciate it, I didnt, but now I really enjoy my leisure time I get in Bean Town!

I stopped into the the waterfront grille yesterday on my way home, just to see it there, as I had no idea it was. I plan on going soon to try it out!

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:52 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
This might be a good forum for discussions of the history of the internet: //www.city-data.com/forum/internet/

As far as the food/restaurants in a specific area, I'd start another thread on that.

The subject of THIS thread is: "New Residents: Now that you've moved to Mass, do you have any regrets? " Let's stay on topic, please.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
This might be a good forum for discussions of the history of the internet: //www.city-data.com/forum/internet/

As far as the food/restaurants in a specific area, I'd start another thread on that.

The subject of THIS thread is: "New Residents: Now that you've moved to Mass, do you have any regrets? " Let's stay on topic, please.
Thanks... we can all get carried away sometimes, and this is a good thread so it would be good to keep the discussion going.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:33 PM

184 posts, read 658,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
See, nowhere is perfect, but you just described somewhere that I'd genuinely like to live. Nowhere is perfect, but of all the states in the US, Mass is probably the best match for me. I like scenery, Irish pubs, history and I like to be surrounded by people who for the most part, aren't as ignorant as they are in other places.

My wife and I were considering Salem actually. Is that a good place to live (we'd probably work in Boston & commute via train, since I hate driving anyway).

I know taxes are going to be higher there (a trade-off, as far as I'm concerned), but what's the average electric bill for say, a 1 bedroom apartment? Here in FL, I pay anywhere between $80 and $130 a month,, because I need to have the A/C on pretty much 24/7.
Kudos to you and the folks above you who support Mass. & its liberal, non-violent traditions! (Sorry, holden125, to hear about your brawl, but nice work laying out that moron!). I had wondered whether to put a Dem party sticker on my car, as there are crazed anti-Dems even here in Mass., and the stories above prove me right! It's idiotic.

Re: the Irish pubs, it reminds me of something Craig Ferguson said about doing a show in Boston. His L.A. friends said, "Boston? You don't want to go there...they're all drunk...and surly!" His response was, "That's right...just like my family!" (Back in Scotland) Heh-heh. It's so cool that a foreigner "gets" the New England, standoffishness, while other Americans just trash it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts