Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 03:31 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

(Disclaimer- I lived in and around Cambridge from 1974-1992, with a three failed moves out of state and out of country). I moved to Littleton in 1992, a former farming town with a lot of rural feel and modest houses, open land, but 30 miles only to Boston and one next to I-495. Because I'm not from Mass., or here, and don't have kids in schools, and work third shift, I don't know a lot outside of my little area.
This morning I was driving home from work and decided to look around surrounding towns, maybe find a pretty route home. I found myself leaving Rt. 2 (west) and driving through Boxborough and the town of Harvard. SHEER BEAUTY. So many big well-kept orchards, some stables, a lot of open land, and no McMansions in sight. Chevrons of birds arcing over the misty fields. I was struck by just how beautiful it is so close to cities and work. I just found out that at one point in its 300-year history, Littleton (currently some 7,000 people) was America's leading exporter of apples to Europe, and is still the center for Very Fine juices.
I really was struck by the beauty and rural feel and abundant orchards. You wouldn't see anything like that anywhere near south Jersey/Philly, where I grew up watching farm after farm get sold and become a subdivision named "Woodcrest on Pine Hill North Leas Riding" or some other absurd name for standard houses on a former potato farm. Yes, the houses were great for those mostly first-generation Americans who moved over from the city, and the European refugees who raised their post-war families. But I got so tired of seeing everything that existed before 1956 mowed down- existed before there was an America!
So I'm very grateful for northwest of Boston Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 06:44 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
It's really funny to read some of the posters, on the General Forum, from Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, etc. bragging about how their cities are adding a half million residents to their metro every decade. They don't seem to realize that what is happening is a bad thing.
My wife and I take the rural routes west of the city all the time. She is from Michigan and is in awe at the New England countryside.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:49 AM

27 posts, read 19,205 times
I never take the highway which I love. I think I am becoming more like my mom that way but it takes just about the same amount of time and if you get lost, at least it is still pretty.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:47 PM

419 posts, read 1,238,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
(Disclaimer- I lived in and around Cambridge from 1974-1992, with a three failed moves out of state and out of country). I moved to Littleton in 1992, a former farming town with a lot of rural feel and modest houses, open land, but 30 miles only to Boston and one next to I-495. Because I'm not from Mass., or here, and don't have kids in schools, and work third shift, I don't know a lot outside of my little area.
This morning I was driving home from work and decided to look around surrounding towns, maybe find a pretty route home. I found myself leaving Rt. 2 (west) and driving through Boxborough and the town of Harvard. SHEER BEAUTY. So many big well-kept orchards, some stables, a lot of open land, and no McMansions in sight. Chevrons of birds arcing over the misty fields. I was struck by just how beautiful it is so close to cities and work. I just found out that at one point in its 300-year history, Littleton (currently some 7,000 people) was America's leading exporter of apples to Europe, and is still the center for Very Fine juices.
I really was struck by the beauty and rural feel and abundant orchards. You wouldn't see anything like that anywhere near south Jersey/Philly, where I grew up watching farm after farm get sold and become a subdivision named "Woodcrest on Pine Hill North Leas Riding" or some other absurd name for standard houses on a former potato farm. Yes, the houses were great for those mostly first-generation Americans who moved over from the city, and the European refugees who raised their post-war families. But I got so tired of seeing everything that existed before 1956 mowed down- existed before there was an America!
So I'm very grateful for northwest of Boston Massachusetts.
Wow! I can't believe you have lived in Littleton for 16 years and had never been two towns over to the town of Harvard. I can see how your attempts to move out of the state and/or country, failed. LOL!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
Quote:
...This morning I was driving home from work and decided to look around surrounding towns, maybe find a pretty route home. I found myself leaving Rt. 2 (west) and driving through Boxborough and the town of Harvard. SHEER BEAUTY. So many big well-kept orchards, some stables, a lot of open land, and no McMansions in sight. Chevrons of birds arcing over the misty fields....I really was struck by the beauty and rural feel and abundant orchards....
Well, now that you've ventured to Harvard, come Spring take a day off and visit Fruitlands. Fruitlands Museum. The views from the restaurant terrace at the top of the hill are spectacular and the walking trails are wonderful.

You do live in a beautiful area of the state!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:37 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Hey, hold on. I've certainly been two towns over, been to Fruitlands, (in fact, had vague plans to marry there) had friends in Bolton. Looked at real estate on Bare Hill Pond 'sigh'. I don't remember seeing such expanses of orchards.
I know one poster was joking (maybe) but 1) move to Santa Fe- no work, tons of violence against women 2) move to Maine, job petered out and 3) Peace Corps/Haiti, mission ended after violence to volunteers.
(Before Mass., I lived in south Philadelphia, south Jersey and Pittsburgh-at its worst).
Just never wandered around to see what I could see. And after the night I had at work, I really needed to see something of beauty. I guess I was posting more for people who aren't from the area.
Like what one poster said about people loving their ever-expanding metro areas. Ya can have it. Feh.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
Oh, I'm sorry! I guess I read the " I don't know a lot outside of my little area" and made incorrect assumptions, and you know what they say about assumptions....

Anyway, I moved to Southeastern Massachusetts from Chicago in '72 and I was shocked to meet people who lived only 40 miles from Boston and Providence had never been there except to go to the airports.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:00 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
I really was struck by the beauty and rural feel and abundant orchards. You wouldn't see anything like that anywhere near south Jersey/Philly, where I grew up watching farm after farm get sold and become a subdivision named "Woodcrest on Pine Hill North Leas Riding" or some other absurd name for standard houses on a former potato farm.
Brightdog the northwest countryside of Philadlephia is arguably as nice as Boston's. Perhaps you never made it to Chester,Bucks Montgomery,Western Delaware Counties but it doesnt resemble the urban neighborhoods of Philadelphia or South jersey sprawl in anyway. They all have done a very well job preseving their historic treasures especially Chester County.

Tom Dot I recently got into a pretty heated discussion with Hou + Atlanta posters who were carrying on about how big + important they were, bragging about passing Boston and Philly metroes in growth,calling Philadelphia and Boston dying regions. I tryed cautioning them about the perils of unsustained regional growth but they dont get it.

Brightdog here is Valley Forge which is 10 miles west of Center City Philly.

Chester Springs Pa.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:32 PM

12,869 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Oh, I'm sorry! I guess I read the " I don't know a lot outside of my little area" and made incorrect assumptions, and you know what they say about assumptions....

Anyway, I moved to Southeastern Massachusetts from Chicago in '72 and I was shocked to meet people who lived only 40 miles from Boston and Providence had never been there except to go to the airports.
You're right. In fact, to many people in S.E. Mass, Boston is just as foreign as Seattle. They avoid it like the plague. I grew up there, but it still shocked me when friends would call a 40 minute drive from Assonet, MA to Newport RI a, "road trip." (no lie).

Old 12-02-2008, 02:20 PM

12 posts, read 72,125 times
I always opt for the more scenic way to head down to Home Depot in Shrewsbury by taking Route 70 around Wachusett Reservoir rather than the 495, the 5 min. longer it takes me is worth it to arrive destressed and happy. It's amazing to see the season's change and makes me feel very lucky to live here when driving thru historic Boylston with the pretty Victorian homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts