U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 AM

18 posts, read 136,962 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been looking for the best place to move to this spring, and Norwood seems to be a good match. Our son will start kindergarten in the fall, and we'll need to be on the south side of Boston, near the T, within about 1/2 hour's commute.

I drove through the area last week, and the downtown looked alive with people walking.

Some things we're interested in are the library, restaurants, schools, places to walk, places for little kids' activities...

Would love to hear about Norwood from an insider's point of view.

Thanks!

Robin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 11:27 AM

44 posts, read 158,274 times
It's a good spot to be in for suburban living close to Boston - I'd plan on more like 45 min. than 30, for traffic & train delays, but it's close enough & the trains/buses make it easy if you don't feel like driving in/out.

Downtown on Washington St is easy to park/walk/shop in, and Rte 1 has many other businesses too. There's certainly less open space than there used to be- lots of overbuilding and commercialization, but what else is new.

Let's see - very good library, lots of activities with well-organized sports leagues, traditionally there is fantastic commitment to music education; schools these days seem to be slightly above average overall within MA.
You've got a civic center for recreation, town events, a hospital in town with med-flight capability, recently renovated fire/police stations, lots of churches, many different types of housing and a spread of income-levels.
More diverse than it used to be, but still very homogeneous and largely Irish or Italian Catholic. It's a town similar to Dedham or Canton, not as nice as Westwood or Medfield, more active and less rural than Walpole or Franklin.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:47 AM

Default Thanks, Charliekeet!

Thanks for this, Charliekeet. This is what I wanted to hear, and confirms that Norwood is right for us.

I saw a little bit of Westwood, which seems more expensive a town than Norwood (probably out of our league for housing). Walpole looks nice, but as you mentioned, not as active as Norwood. I haven't seen Medfield yet, and will also look there.

Can't wait to arrive!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,531,727 times
We lived there from 89 - 95 when our kids were little. There were not a lot of young families in the town. Walpole has more young families as does Medfield. I have friends/relatives in both of those towns and they really like them.. Medfield has a better school system...

Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,773,878 times
Out of the towns named in this thread, I'd rank Medfield and Westwood as tops for the schools. I think Medfield might be a tad cheaper than Westwood since it's a bit further out. It's the smallest of the towns as well. I'm not sure I'd describe Walpole as "rural". Schools are probably on a par with Norwood. Dedham and Canton schools are so-so.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:15 PM

79 posts, read 224,763 times
I think Norwood has it all. The schools are improving, too.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:39 AM

Default Norwood seems right for us

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts on Norwood & other areas. Norwood actually seems great for us, just the right size, etc. (I've been looking at their local online newspaper every day lately).

I also like that it's near some beautiful, more rural areas such as along Rt. 1A through Wrentham. Can't wait to explore!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:19 PM

368 posts, read 1,324,986 times
We are moving to that general area shortly after the first of the year, and ruled out Norwood specifially because of it's LOWER school rankings (in comparison to nearby communities). Most every neighboring town around Norwood ranked higher. If this link works, it shows Norwood in comparison to its neighbors.

Select a City Near Norwood

That said, I don't live in the area yet. I only had online research to go by, and the fact that schools ranked realllllly high on my decision matrix.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:20 PM

270 posts, read 1,297,807 times
Default Don"t drive yourself crazy over the test results

We moved here in 2007 and schools were very important to me. Of course I wanted to live in the "best ranked " school system (Wincester, Newton, Lexington etc.) but could not afford housing there. So we looked at towns further out and choose a house in Walpole. At first I was very concerned about the rankings and that Walpole was not in the top 10 but only in the top 30%. I analyzed the rankings up and down but I also looked at the schools, spoke to the parents, the PAC, went to a game in town, spoke with the principal etc. I am very happy with our decision to buy here and so far I am very pleased with the schools. What I am trying to say is don't worry about the exact ranking, rather go and speak to some parents. From what I know about Norwood is that there seems to be a lot of children and activities, and they have a nicer downtown then we do ;-). Also keep in mind that Norfolk county is one of the highest school ranked counties in the whole USA. So keep things in perspective, do your research and trust you feelings. I am convinced that your children will get a fine education in Norwood, or Walpole.

Last edited by haberstroh; 12-11-2008 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-12-2008, 10:24 AM

Default Norwood & area schools

Hi,

Good schools are important to us, and I appreciate your input on this! Walpole is still a possibility as well.

I've been reading about a new high school for Norwood, which sounds promising. (our son's only turning 5 now).

Any advice on Kindergartens in the area would be appreciated, and elementary school.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts