Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 08:48 AM

15,692 posts, read 20,198,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I've interviewed and hired hundreds of people over the years. Both UMass and UMass-Lowell have always triggered the caution flag. The SAT Math scores just aren't that high. Neither is on the list of schools where you know anyone who got admitted and graduated is smart enough to to the work at my company. You have to do extra screening to validate that they're bright enough to handle the work. The top employers won't bother. They have plenty of strong paper from new grads from the top schools.
That's funny. Quite the opposite experience here as we tend to bring on a lot of interns from U-lowell for an engineering internship/coop. We also interview plenty from the other top schools but some of my best interns going back 5-6 years have been Ulowell grads. My incoming coop is from Ulowell and beat out an MIT candidate for the position. I've seen quite capable work from the students there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 09:16 AM

23,087 posts, read 18,235,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's funny. Quite the opposite experience here as we tend to bring on a lot of interns from U-lowell for an engineering internship/coop. We also interview plenty from the other top schools but some of my best interns going back 5-6 years have been Ulowell grads. My incoming coop is from Ulowell and beat out an MIT candidate for the position. I've seen quite capable work from the students there.
As one enters the adult world, where the degree is from becomes of less and less importance. I mean these top companies don't necessarily want fresh grads from Xdiplomamill.com, but UMASS Lowell is perfectly solid.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:26 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,102,154 times
Quote:
GeoffD's comments suggest he's not coming from an ME perspective. I personally think Northeastern is producing some super competent MEs, but on this board you'll only ever read "MIT>all". My issue with most of the younger MIT MEs I've encountered is that they are prone to believing the hype and discount the knowledge/input of those who have actually gotten products to market/IPO. Intelligence without experience can only get one so far.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:35 PM

15,692 posts, read 20,198,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I personally think Northeastern is producing some super competent MEs, but on this board you'll only ever read "MIT>all".
I also agree with that assessment that NU is producing some great new talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
My issue with most of the younger MIT MEs I've encountered is that they are prone to believing the hype and discount the knowledge/input of those who have actually gotten products to market/IPO. Intelligence without experience can only get one so far.
My team had a meeting with an outside group that was looking to apply some of our processes to their application. I knew it was a highly educated group coming in, but I couldn't believe the number of times they name-dropped their prestigious universities as a way of justifying their data during the meeting.

Of course I know not everyone is like that, but it's little things that stick in your mind that you remember.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:32 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,102,154 times
Quote:
My team had a meeting with an outside group that was looking to apply some of our processes to their application. I knew it was a highly educated group coming in, but I couldn't believe the number of times they name-dropped their prestigious universities as a way of justifying their data during the meeting.

Of course I know not everyone is like that, but it's little things that stick in your mind that you remember.
I've worked with some super capable IVY league MEs/EEs, but I've also worked with some hilariously incompetent start-ups spun out IVY incubators by vaunted IVY VCs. My general takeaway is: due diligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts