U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 11,790 times

Advertisements

Any and all information on these towns would be awesome! Thanks :-)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 02:32 PM

8,597 posts, read 13,194,576 times
Until you receive some replies, you can plug in the town name under "search this forum". That should give you a starting point.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:15 PM

5,806 posts, read 14,724,290 times
Natick: very suburban feel; nice downtown area, clean and attractive, but most businesses there close by 7:00PM; local economy is heavily centered around malls; local arts center that features various participatory activities for residents as well as musical acts often involving some moderately big names from the past ('70's, '80's); commuter rail service; town has a variety of neighborhoods, ranging from post-WWII suburban subdivision (ranch houses, etc.) to well-kept modest Victorians to more open, with larger yards and some open space, in south Natick; pleasant solidly middle class suburban town which seems to be generally friendly.

Wayland: a woodsy suburb--too much residential land to be an exurb, but has a fair amount of open space, some woods and fields, winding roads, good-sized yards in many parts of town; overall a very affluent town, with neighborhoods ranging from well-kept modest Victorians to a few blue-collar enclaves to affluent suburban to wealthy; town center is just a string of businesses along a highway, though there is the beginning of trying to construct more of a true downtown area; in a section called Cochituate, on the south side, there is a commercial district that is a bit more like a small-town downtown, with some local small stores; close to mall shopping in the adjacent towns of Natick and Framingham; overall one of the more upscale communities in the vicinity, but has some more down-to-earth feel in some parts of town.

Southborough: don't know much detail on how the town is laid out, but overall feel is woodsy, with a fair amount of open space, and an affluent feel; similar in general to Wayland, but farther from Boston, though Southborough has commuter rail service (1-1.25 hours to Boston) while Wayland does not.

Hopkinton: another woodsy kind of town; currently in transition from being a very friendly traditional small town to becoming a suburb--a mix of longtime local residents, small local businesses, and new housing development, with a lot of growth in recent years as the town has been discovered by yuppies moving to the 'burbs.

Ashland: another town that has seen a lot of growth in recent years due to an influx of yuppies; friendly town, more suburban and less woodsy in appearance than Hopkinton, but similar otherwise; there have been some water quality issues in the past due to a hazardous waste site--I hear varying stories about whether this has been cleaned up; commuter rail service; other than any remaining water issues, a nice clean solidly middle-class suburban town.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 AM

6 posts, read 24,857 times
I live in Southborough. It's a mix of older neighborhoods and new developments. Very family-friendly with a good school district. Not much of a downtown. There's an active open space preservation community, so we have some nice land set aside. The commuter rail goes to both Boston and Worcester. Southborough also has easy access to both I-90 and I-495.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-16-2008 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: discussing mod actions

Old 12-16-2008, 04:51 PM

505 posts, read 1,295,293 times
OK, I admit I don't really know much about these towns, and everything I say may not be 100% correct, but here are my thoughts:

For Natick, the image that comes to mind is that the town is a bit more wealthy than the others, but I could be wrong. The Natick Mall is nice but very upscale (which is why business has been suffering there lately). Like someone said before me, Natick is a solid middle-class town and it is close to Boston.

I have been to Ashland a few times, and each time the town comes off as a friendly and family-oriented place. I absolutely love the John Stone Public House in the center of Ashland. The food is delicious and the building is so historic. Commuter rail service is readily available in Ashland as well, and the entire center of town is pretty.

As for the others, I can't really say much. I don't know if anything I said will help you (I doubt very much it will, actually), but I just wanted to state my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts