Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 PM

12 posts, read 70,016 times

Advertisements

My company will be transfering me to New England late '09 . One of the places that is at the top of the list is Worcester MA. It makes me a little nervous because I have read nothing good about the city. It's all about how ugly it is, the gangs, crime and just that is is simply not a happy place to live. Is it really that bad? Are there areas within a 30min commute that may be a little better where I can find a 1 bedroom apt under 950 a month?

One last thing is about the crime. I am from Milwaukee, a city with according to city data almost 600 thousand people, and more then 100 people are murdered each year. Then you look at a city like Worcester, that yes only has almost 200 thousand, yet 6 murders last year. Milwaukee doesnt seem to get a rep as a "dangerous" city, yet Worcester does? I just dont get it. Milwaukees crime index is 753, Worcesters is 413.

I know there will be bad parts of town, and I refuse to believe there are no good, where should a person stay away, and what parts are nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 07:28 AM

967 posts, read 4,770,589 times
There are actually some very pretty parts of Worcester that seem safe. The Salisbury St area is beautiful. There are certainly parts of the city that are rather gritty but there are a few that are nice (the Tatnuck area is one as well). You could also live in Holden or Shrewsbury, which are right next door to Worcester and are very nice. I'm sure you can find something in your price range.

Best of luck with your move!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 AM

191 posts, read 404,320 times
I have lived in Worcester for 22 years & I think it is a great place to live. Not much of a tourist destination, but we find plenty to do right in the city as far as entertainment venues, restaurants & other things. Come visit & see for yourself. Like any city there are nice nieghborhoods & not so nice neighborhoods.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:16 PM

91 posts, read 328,986 times
We have a reverse course. I grew up in Worcester, and currently, happily live in Milwaukee. The issue you are addressing is that Worcester is a very concentrated city. As such, those six murders are magnified. The 100 plus murders that occur in Milwaukee year in year out generally occur in the same part of town. As long as that continues and it doesn't seep out of the north side it won't be an issue to city hall or the power establishment.

That said, Worcester has an enormous inferiority complex,and as such it can't seem to get out of it's own way. If you compare to smaller cities that are of a similar distance to Boston such as Manchester and Providence it lacks. At the heart of it Worcester is really not a truly autonomous city, but rather a large Boston suburb. It's not horrible, but don't expect it to act like a true city. What makes the area tolerable to great is not Worcester in and of itself but rather it's sum of parts reflected in towns like Millbury, Sturbridge, Holden, Grafton, and say Shrewsbury.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 PM

27 posts, read 119,242 times
Default Worcester

Worcester is really not bad! It is actually one of the safest cities in New England....crime is not a significant problem in the city....of course some areas are better than others like any city. The city itself has gained more respect in recent years but always ives in the shadow of Boston.

Worcester is a former industrial town so there are some areas that one would consider gritty. However, these gritty areas have somewhat become the place for upscale restaurants/bars etc. A significant portion of the city is quite nice...attractive well-kept neighborhoods with character. The northern part of the city is considered the most desirable. It is residential in character and well established with many beautiful homes.

Downtown Worcester does not have much to offer and there always seems to be a "come-back" in the making. There are often many concerts within the city and a stunning new performing arts theatre (Hanover Theatre) has opened downtown. There is commuter rail service from Worcester to Boston and it is basically 1 hour city center to city center from Worcester to Boston....by train or car.

Worcester has experienced a renaissance of sorts in the last few years....biotech is big as is higher education with ten colleges within the city. Overall the economic base is diversified. If you are visiting the city, I would recommend taking a look at the Salisbury and Tatnuck Areas.

Immediate Worcester suburbs (desirable) to consider: Shrewsbury, Westborough, Southborough, Nortborough, Grafton, Holden, Boylston, Princeton and Paxton. If you are working right in Worcester you could technically live in a suburb closer to Boston (such as Natick/Framingham) and still do the commute. Note that the area between Boston and Worcester... commonly referred as Metrowest is quite expensive and includes numerous desirable communities.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:03 PM

184 posts, read 656,047 times
Half of my relatives live in Worcester, my Dad grew up there and I used to visit my favorite cousin there in the '60's. THEN, it was fun, to me, growing up in the hinterlands of Central MA. Yrs. later, though, it got uglier, there was less to do, the crime rate SOARED and gangs and drugs became a real problem.

Worcester DOES have its die hard supporters, who usually were born and raised there (most of my cousins for instance). But in the mid-90's, I taught high school there and it was so dangerous, with guns, stabbings, rival gangs, drugs, riots (yes, riots!) that I finally left.

There's a running joke, too, among young people (such as college age), that to have fun, they've either got to go to Boston, Springfield (I don't know WHAT they do there!) or the UMass/Amherst area! I was just talking about that with a friend of mine in this area (Amherst) who went to Clark U. He said it was a great school, but surrounded by a war zone!

If you really want to work there, try living outside the city, such as Paxton, Holden, the Brookfields, Princeton or Rutland. Don't go TOO far out, such as into the dead towns near Quabbin (such as Barre) unless you like living with very insular neighbors and nothing to do.

Also avoid places like Sturbridge, that USED to be quaint and convenient to the highways (the Pike, I-84, etc.); they're now incredibly crowded, overpriced and again, nothing to do. Kids there are still "hanging out at Friendly's in Southbridge", like they did 30 yrs. ago!

Too bad you can't live out in W.Mass and commute. If you MUST live in Worcester itself, I agree with the poster who mentioned the Salisbury and Tatnuck areas.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,980,251 times
Agree with Scarletfire. Was never a big fan of Worcester but just visited Assumption College with my daughter. I was pleasantly surprised at what a lovely area Salisbury St was.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 PM

14 posts, read 70,694 times
Default Worcester

My mother actually grew up in Worcester and we still have alot of family there. I also have a couple of friends in Worcester. Well, I can say their are nice parts and bad parts like any other city. Their are some great restaurants on Shrewsbury Street and a couple downtown. We also venture off to some of the bars as well. The public schools are not the best but the colleges are some of the best. I agree that Sailsbury Street area is good and also you might want to check out the lower side of Grafton Hill closer to Millbury. Good Luck!!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:24 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,326,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blehman View Post
We have a reverse course. I grew up in Worcester, and currently, happily live in Milwaukee. The issue you are addressing is that Worcester is a very concentrated city. As such, those six murders are magnified. The 100 plus murders that occur in Milwaukee year in year out generally occur in the same part of town. As long as that continues and it doesn't seep out of the north side it won't be an issue to city hall or the power establishment.

That said, Worcester has an enormous inferiority complex,and as such it can't seem to get out of it's own way. If you compare to smaller cities that are of a similar distance to Boston such as Manchester and Providence it lacks. At the heart of it Worcester is really not a truly autonomous city, but rather a large Boston suburb. It's not horrible, but don't expect it to act like a true city. What makes the area tolerable to great is not Worcester in and of itself but rather it's sum of parts reflected in towns like Millbury, Sturbridge, Holden, Grafton, and say Shrewsbury.
What exactly are they offering to the residents of Worcester? I lived in Worcester and frequented only Shrewsbury for say shopping and Dean park.

Holden I only went to because my SIL lives there, and for NO other purpose.

Grafton I went to the dentist there once.

Sturbridge I hit on the way back to Spfld to visit relatives.

I just don't get how they add to worcester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VlyRoadKid View Post
There's a running joke, too, among young people (such as college age), that to have fun, they've either got to go to Boston, Springfield (I don't know WHAT they do there!) or the UMass/Amherst area! I was just talking about that with a friend of mine in this area (Amherst) who went to Clark U. He said it was a great school, but surrounded by a war zone!
Yeah, the Clark U area is pretty bad. Wonder how many people go there to check the school out and freak at the thought of their little darlings on their own over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VlyRoadKid View Post
Also avoid places like Sturbridge, that USED to be quaint and convenient to the highways (the Pike, I-84, etc.); they're now incredibly crowded, overpriced and again, nothing to do. Kids there are still "hanging out at Friendly's in Southbridge", like they did 30 yrs. ago!
My cousin lived in Sturbridge for a time and hated it. Then again they ended up moving to Quincy and working in Boston so if that is what you are wanting Sturbridge isn't going to do it for you.

btw, I know what they were doing in Spfld, down town bars. Very dangerous but fun for young people who don't value their own lives. People were coming into springfield from all over the place.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 AM

12,592 posts, read 21,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
btw, I know what they were doing in Spfld, down town bars. Very dangerous but fun for young people who don't value their own lives. People were coming into springfield from all over the place.
Springfield Nightlife is unique. Your post made me laugh a little because I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's actually quite fun (a few hops and barley flavored waters deep), but not for the faint of heart. I do sort of miss nights on Worthington St. now that I'm splitting time between Portland ME and the Southcoast, but not all that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts