Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 12,898 times

Advertisements

My husband, son, and I are about to move to Boston area with his new job. We're moving from Denver, CO and have been overwhelmed by the number of communities surrounding Boston.

His job is in Concord, MA. We are in our mid-30s, and have a 1 yr. old son. We've typically lived in suburban, single family homes. We're looking for a community with good schools, low crime, and relative short commute (< 30min) (Who isn't, huh?), and like to be close to church (catholic), restaurants and shops. We've generally preferred newer homes (bigger rooms/closets, updated features, appliances, etc.) Our price range for a house would be in the low $600s. We've heard good things so far about Hopkinton, and Acton, but really don't know much about either.

We would appreciate any help about a potential community to live.

--MovingToMA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 AM

967 posts, read 4,769,817 times
Hopkinton has what you're looking for except the commute is about 45 minutes. You can certainly find a newer house like you're looking for in that price range there.

Sudbury is also an excellent option - very close by, terrific schools, a few good restaurants, great community activities, but home prices are higher. You'd likely find an older home in your price range.

Crime is very low in both areas.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:44 AM

6 posts, read 30,237 times
what about living in concord? concord is a great little, safe town. has a nice downtown with some shops, a few restaurants/cafe/deli. nice kid parks in the area. acton is also nice. my sister lives there now. small downtown area. very close to concord, maybe 10 min.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:52 PM

18,603 posts, read 33,168,447 times
You should be able to find something in Concord in your price range. But yes, Acton would be delightful and an easy drive. One of the best communities around, anywhere. No reason to look into Hopkinton or further afield. Also, Concord/Acton are low on McMansion-style development compared to Hopkinton. I don't think Concord's history and ambience can be beat. You might get a bit less house in Concord versus Acton, but it's one of the best places on the planet to live, and I imagine for family life. Acton is a close second. (Disclaimer- I live one town over from Acton, don't have kids, and find my town a lovely small town rural-ish town for family life, very kid-centered, one Catholic church. I imagine there's more than one in Acton, and likely more than one in Concord, but these aren't heavy-duty Catholic areas like the urban suburbs in closer to town).
Best wishes. You should be able to find a wonderful place to live.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:13 PM

967 posts, read 4,769,817 times
I agree with BrightDogLover that Concord has everything you're looking for. You can find a home there in your price range, just not a newer home for that price. It's a lovely community though with lots to offer in terms of schools, community activities, historic sites, attractive walkable downtown, terrific bike path, easy access to Boston, etc.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:24 PM

142 posts, read 356,744 times
I agree that Acton and Concord would both be excellent choices and I would also add Westford. All three towns have excellent school systems and meet all your other criteria.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:19 PM

5 posts, read 52,274 times
I grew up in Acton..haven't lived there for quite a few years now. It was a great town.. good schools and great history. I used to like Acton Center a lot with its older homes and library. I don't know if the town offices are still there or not, but that was nice. Concord has wonderful history.. I call that area my Magical History Tour whenever we go back.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:20 PM

24 posts, read 128,641 times
Red face Areas near Concord

Hello. There are so many choices because the greater Metro Boston area is quite large. Concord is a nice area with many nice surrounding towns. I'd research Belmont, Arlington, Lexington, Winchester, and Bedford. My personal favorite is Arlington, since I lived there for many years. There are some really nice areas around the West Medford/Arlington/Winchester line. You won't have to worry about finding a Catholic church out here. Every town around the Boston area has at least one Catholic church, even towns that are historically heavily Protestant. I love my parish (St. Raphael's in West Medford). It's a very family-friendly parish with a good Catholic grammar school. This area is closer to Boston but still has a nice neighborhood feel (on the Arlington line).

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:02 PM

15 posts, read 105,017 times
Bolton is a small town with very low crime (if any at all) and it has one of the best Elementary schools. Most of the homes are large and on big lots. It is a nice town and is close to stores, malls etc.. Concord in less than 30 min. away. It is worth a look.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 22,710 times
Welcome to Mass. -- you're going to love the Concord area. I'd like to suggest Wayland, where I live (we're also in our 30s), and Lincoln -- both beautiful wooded towns with large lots, excellent schools, and a very short drive to Concord (10 mins. from my house). The natural beauty in this area is astounding; the Sudbury River runs through both towns and there are loads of walking trails. Wayland has two Catholic churches and Lincoln has one tiny church.

Finding a new house in the low $600s is pretty hard around here; if that's a firm requirement, you'll have to turn your gaze west to Hopkinton or other distant suburbs. Basically the closer you get to Boston and Cambridge, the more expensive everything is. In Wayland or Lincoln, you can get a nice house with a very nice lot in your price range; it just won't be new.

None of these towns are rich with restaurants, but that's what Cambridge is for! Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts