Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:31 AM

46 posts, read 409,413 times

Advertisements

I've discovered that there are 2 French immersion programs for public school children in the Boston Area. One in Milton, the other in Holliston. Does anyone know anything about them or the school system in those towns? I really have heard next to nothing about Milton or Holliston. My husband is French and we are moving from NJ (see earlier thread ... nj to cambridge area). We have used both a once weekly class and a private tutor with the kids but immersion is obviously the best. I know there is a private french school in Cambridge but it comes with a hefty price tag (times three!). Thanks for any help or insight you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 08:52 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,804,851 times
Milton is the birthplace of George H.W. Bush and is where our current governor (Deval Patrick) resides. There's also a lot of Irish living there. That's all I know, sorry.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 16,404 times
Hi,
I realize that you posted your request for information a long time ago. We are in EXACTLY the same situation as you and do not want to private school prices. Did you finally come up with anything?
Thanks,
Moving to Boston from Montreal, Canada

Old 07-24-2007, 03:28 PM

57 posts, read 379,140 times
milton is a very rich town in most poarts unless you live on the border with boston i.e. mattapan which is certainly not a place where you want to venture out.
I lived not far from there in hyde park and witnessed a shooting, my car was stolen and turned up there.

Milton does back up to the blue hills area which is nice but like I said expensive.the place gets closed down there at dark now though sadly because gays moderator cut Offensive
milton does have the most irish heritage in massachusetts
milton is in a good location
it's a dry town I believe which means no beer wine etc to be sold there

not too sure what you need to know more about it

any questions feel free to ask

Last edited by manc; 07-24-2007 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: offensive/homophobic

Old 07-26-2007, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 19,692 times
I grew up in Holliston. It was a nice town to grow up in and has a good school system. It can make for a tough commute sometimes if you work out of town because there are no major routes really that go out of town. Its either Rt 16 or 126. I wasn't in the french immersion program. The kids who were in the program were essentially in a different school from us through all of elementary and middle. In high school all those kids spoke fluent french. I never realized that more towns didn't offer the program.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:44 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,218 times
I live in Sherborn, the next town over from Holliston. Holliston is a nice town that seems to have a lot of community activities. The schools are considered good. However, you might want to check into whether there is space available in the French immersion program before settling here. My sister-in-law lives in town and I recall her saying something about there being a waiting list to get in, but I may be wrong.

Best of luck!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 18,887 times
Default French immersion in Milton

The French immersion program in Milton is almost 20 years old. You can only enter it in first grade. first and second grade are taught 100% in French then English is introduced in third grade. By 5th grade the ratio is 30% French 70% English.
My six children have gone/are going through the program and i am a teacher in the program so i would be very happy to answer additional questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymoves View Post
I've discovered that there are 2 French immersion programs for public school children in the Boston Area. One in Milton, the other in Holliston. Does anyone know anything about them or the school system in those towns? I really have heard next to nothing about Milton or Holliston. My husband is French and we are moving from NJ (see earlier thread ... nj to cambridge area). We have used both a once weekly class and a private tutor with the kids but immersion is obviously the best. I know there is a private french school in Cambridge but it comes with a hefty price tag (times three!). Thanks for any help or insight you can offer.

Last edited by Zoumai; 07-30-2007 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 12,047 times
Default French Immersion

Not sure if you are stilling looking at French programs. My child is in the French program in Holliston. The program begins in K and goes through 6th grade. Getting into the program varies year by year. Some years there is a lottery, however, there has not been a lottery for some years. The class size is about 20 (2 sections). It is a tight community and very supportive. Kids end up being fluent by high school and graduate at the top of their class. Additionally, the schools are rated as some of the best in the state.

Holliston is a wonderful community that offers a variety of programs for kids including Montessori and traditional--you have a choice among the three programs.

The commute is tough to Boston but many take the train from Framingham or Ashland--we feel that the small, tight community is worth the trade off. There are tons of activities for kids and families alike--you really cannot go wrong.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,289 times
The French school in Arlington is fantastic. But I believe there is a waitlist. All three of my neighbors' children attend it and they are very happy there. The 9-year-old now speaks fluent French.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 14,371 times
Zoumai, you mentionned you are a teacher in the French immersion program in Milton. Can you answer some questions for me? We are thinking of moving to Milton, and the French immersion opportunity is one of the main reasons we've got our eye on Milton.
1) Does it seem like the program will be around for a while? (Another 10 years or so?) The many budget and program cuts in so many school districts is what makes me ask.
2) Is there a lottery to be accepted into the French immersion program? If so, is it really competitive or is there a good chance that most who want to participate can?
3) And, as an insider, what's your impression of the French immersion program and of the Milton School District in general?
Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts