Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:37 AM

2,201 posts, read 5,326,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
Raising my kids on the Cape has been wonderful. I have to disagree with a previous poster about Bourne, but that's a personal preference, as well. I think Sandwich is just too touristy, property taxes too high, virtually no services (trash pickup, for example), and I believe the schools are overrated. I also disagree with going to Hyannis. That place is a mess and entirely too overgrown. I have no idea what the Cape Cod Commission was thinking. Only the mid and lower Cape residents go there because it's their only option. We, on the Upper Cape, have Plymouth/Kingston. I'd rather drive to the Kingston Mall or the Walmart and other stores in Plymouth.
All that being said, I love VISITING Sandwich from that desolate town next door. LOL.

Hi Cathy,
You are definately a wonderful advocate for Bourne. You've dismissed Sandwich, Falmouth and Mashpee for being busy, touristy, expensive, having overrated schools, lack of services etc. I don't think anyone who has suggested to posters that they look into any of these towns has said anything untrue or disparaging about Bourne.

I am the only poster who said anything about Bourne here so maybe you are referring to my post about there being no "large chain supermarket" in Bourne. I apologize, I thought Grand Union had closed and no one had purchased the property and reopened. Excellent if that has happened!

I just have a few questions and comments about your comments on Sandwich:

What is it you find "overrated" about the schools? Every other real estate agent I spoke to on Cape Cod listed Nauset and Sandwich as the best school systems on the Cape. High MCAS scores, low drop out rates, numerous MIAA awards for sportsmanship (in my book more important than the state championships that can be boasted about), high rate of college attendance after graduation and an award winning freshman transition program are some of the things about Sandwich Schools that make them earn that reputation.

How is Sandwich "touristy" and from a previous post, congested? Certainly the downtown area with it's quaint shops, cafes and museums is a tourist magnet. But the town is 44 square miles and outside of the downtown, is a different world. The tourism industry is a wonderful draw and source of revenue for the town. Bourne seems to be trying to attract more tourism too. With the renewal of Cartland that has been very nicely refurbished, they are sure to have tourists on their way through to Falmouth stop off to spend some money. It would be nice for the town with it's motels etc. to see some revenue and become more than a "drive through" town.

High taxes- absolutely compared to Bourne they are high. But they are lower than what I paid previously and the services are exponentially better here.

You said there are virtually no services and cited trash pickup. True, no trash pickup. I paid $2 per thousand more in taxes in my previous residence AND paid $40 per month for trash pickup. In Sandwich, you can hire a private contractor for about $28 per month. You can also take it yourself to the well organized land fill. For anyone who is concerned with waiting in line, you can check the "Landfill Webcam" LOL and make sure it is a convenient time to go. What are the other services Sandwich is lacking?

You're right about shopping in Kingston/Plymouth. It's a quick trip over the Sagamore Bridge. I do have to say I'm glad I don't have to take the canal road over from Bourne during the summer. I got stuck in traffic on that canal road more than once- UGH. I avoid it at all costs July and August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,513,903 times
I lived on Cape Cod for 25+ years and HAD to move away. It has become a suburb of Boston with little culture, unless you want to consider the endless malls and strip malls.

It used to be a wonderful place to live, but no longer. The only reason I go back from time to time is to visit my kids and grandkids and every time I do I am grateful I moved away.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 PM

11 posts, read 52,078 times
I have lived in Sandwich for 10+ years now. It's not a bad place to live, but it has been going downhill the past few years. I agree with capecodcathy that there are also no services, very high property taxes and a not so great school system. I also lived in Bourne, and it was very nice, easier to get off cape in the summer, decent school system and lower property taxes.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:57 AM

74 posts, read 285,942 times
The Bourne Bridge was always definately an easier drive but with the flyover, I seem to use the Sagamore more frequently now. But I seem to need to go to Boston and other areas off of route 3 than off of 25 so that might be it too. Now if people would only learn to drive in ONE LANE on the bridge, I'd be a very happy camper.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:49 AM

33 posts, read 94,625 times
Hello,

I've lived in Sandwich now for 4 years. I've got a 3 and 4 1/2 year old. We love living here. It's a nice small town, beautiful, and right over the bridge. The nice thing with that is that you aren't stuck in traffic in summertime because you are 1-3 exits from the bridge. The schools have been good. As someone else mentioned, there are 2 grocery stores, the farmers market during the summer, another produce market, a few gas stations, the library is really good, a few churches, lots of family outings/affairs. I found it difficult to meet people initially, however that was probably as I didn't have any children in school yet. All the other parents of my child's preschool class have been friendly and wonderful. There are a few ponds and beaches in town too. There is a small movie theatre and arcade/bowling alley. I don't find that summer tourist season is too bad in Sandwich (I grew up in Carver/Plymouth where I found the tourist traffic much worse). However, I must say that I love Plymouth and we do plan to move back there someday as our families are still there.

I would not suggest Falmouth. Honestly, it is probably one of the few towns I would NOT live in on the Cape. It has the worst summer traffic - it is AWFUL. There are lots of things to do in that town, but not worth it to me. Hyannis has lots of shopping, malls, things to do and it's a quick 15 minute drive from Sandwich. And you can hop over the bridge quickly enough to go to Plymouth (it has grown substatially in the last few years in regards to shopping). Good luck with your search and move!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,990 times
I have been living on the cape for 13 long years. On the positive side - the beaches are beautiful, it's terrific from Oct - April when you can drive and walk without crowds. This area of MA has always been known as having more problems with drugs. Until fairly recently this was not an educated environment. I lived on Marthas Vineyard for a short time in the early 70's and college was not really considered by many of the young. Staying on the "island" was the top priority. There wasn't a 4 year college close by. There is lots of blue collar work - seasonal and the people here tend to like that. Many drink or drug during the winter months and the employment doesn't offer much and it can't really expect much. There is no professionalism - it's pretty petty and rough around the edges. Many small businesses run by mostly uneducated owners. They are very leary of anyone that might 'know' more than they do. If you have a professional background it will be difficult to find good employment. There is a certain attitude and pecking order that stifles creativity. It was culture shock for me when I moved here. To live on the cape and work off cape is probably a better environment. Many big fish in small, small pond! My daughter is a social worker for the state and the cape has always been known as the toughest area to work in as far as abuse, drugs and neglect of children. Probably less from the wash-ashores than the natives, but there is a definite dark undercurrent.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:38 PM

20 posts, read 65,810 times
I have lived on the cape for 8 years and my parents have been here for 12. I have raised my daughter, who will turn 8 in April here and I can not wait to move. I don't live in Sandwich, but very close by (our pediatrician is in Sandwich) and I have been very disappointed in the living experience my family has had. As a previous poster mentioned, the cape is a relatively uneducated place. That means that there is not an emphasis on education and therefore the school systems are "ok," which is frustrating when you take into consideration all the multi-million dollar real estate. We are planning a move closer to Boston this summer for many reasons, however education is one of the biggest. My husband and I are both highly educated and we have both commuted either to Boston or close to it in order to make a living, as there are no opportunities for work close to home. The cape is also incredibly homogenous culturally. Yes, there are Native Americans and the summer brings the Brazilian and Eastern European workers, but my daughters school is almost 100% white. Some people might appreciate that, but I hate it, as I try to teach her tolerance in a not very tolerant environment. My last complaint (other than traffic, the absurd road structure of routes 28 and 6 any time of year, and the complete lack of respect year round residents get in the summer months) would be that there is nothing to do here that is cultural, educational, or family oriented. There aren't even many restaurant choices and you quickly become accustomed to the "same old same old." We are constantly traveling to Boston or Providence for museums, theater, and sporting events.

The cape is a very isolating place. Having to drive over a bridge to get here is very symbolic in that hard core Codders, who don't hit the main land if they don't have to, are a different breed altogether. There are high rates of depression, alcoholism, and drug use, which is no surprise given the isolation and boredom. With the economy the way it is, I only foresee things getting worse. Plymouth is lovely, as is Cohasset. I would make an earnest attempt at seeing some towns off cape before you make the plunge.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:14 PM

140 posts, read 286,671 times
The Cape is beautiful but you do need more home security because the police, especially in Hyannis, Yarmouth, Falmouth and Chatham are dealing with an increase in crime rates, mostly related to drug traffic. Hyannis police are starting to get a grip on it and have improved conditions around the Sea Street area. Not sure what they can do about so many level threes inside a school buffer zone because the shelters are there and the Boston police keep putting them on a bus to come here. Taxes are a problem because Barnstable is poorly managed.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:23 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,041,405 times
I've been reading about the Sea Street crime in the paper, and it does seem to be picking up lately, but hopefully they get a handle on it.
I like Bourne as well but I'm having a hard time finding a rental. Most seem to be in Hyannis, Falmouth and Sandwich. I've mainly been looking on Craigs and the Cape Cod Times, maybe I'm missing something?
How is Bourne over the bridge, around the canal? That's were I'd like to be but not having any luck so far. Thats were I'm from and it was easy during the summer, no bridge to cross for school as I can remember, but it's been awhile. I will have a little boy just starting school so I would like it to be close and have an easy drive.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 AM

2,201 posts, read 5,326,882 times
Hi Twiggy,
There is a new school just built over the bridge that serves Bourne. I am not sure if it is just for Sagamore Beach and Buzzards Bay. Maybe CC Cathy will know more.

The increase in crime is not exclusive to the Cape. Car break ins and robberies of small stores seem to dominate every small town newspaper. It's a sad sign of the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts