Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:05 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Quincy, for the price comparison. I suspect Taos petrol is higher than when I left as it has been rising as I drive East. Interesting to note, however, in Oklahoma, and now in Missouri, petrol (gas) is about 20c less per gallon. Yesterday I believe 87 was about 2.34 p/g.

Western Massachusetts was always a little higher on some items, but I suspect food is cheaper than in the northern portion of NM as it has to come up miles of mountain range. But I may be way off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 10:39 AM

79 posts, read 396,143 times
Default Cost of living:

Mass is the fifth or sixth highest state for cost of living.
There's ways you can save though. Drive an old junker, and keep your house square footage requirements down to a minimum. If yer in a more rural area, you won't have to pay water and sewer bills cuz you'll have a well and septic tank. It's only about a hundered bucks to pump it every three or four years. Get a pellet stove and build or buy a house that faces south. If you live in the hills, you probably won't need central air. Just a whole house fan. Power here is expensive.
The tax rates in the hilltowns vary widely.
One thing about Mass. though, food is tax free. Non prepared food that is. Books and clothing too.
Good luck to you and yours!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:09 AM

13 posts, read 61,952 times
Thanks for $$ saving tips Noodle. Makes total sense.

Have not heard of Sandisfield, I will check it out. thanks

Old 03-14-2007, 06:20 AM

15 posts, read 132,352 times
On many websites for realtors in Berkshire County, there will be a link for "search more listings" which allows anyone to search all MLS listings in all Berkshire County towns -- the MLS site was recently upgraded so that when you find a property, if you click on "view map" and then click on the picture of the house in the next screen, you get the actual address of the property and most properties also have an accompanying aerial view map which is very helpful -- especially to see what is around the property that's for sale -- e.g., a train track running through the rear of the property. We use Barnbrook Realty's website for this all the time.... If you're looking for property in the Berkshires, I would definitley use this search option, and again, Sandisfield seems to be an affordable town -- you may also find something in your price range in New Marlboro and Egrement which are closer to the NY state border -- Sandisfield is closer to CT border -- in fact, it's on the CT border, as is New Marlboro. All of these twosn are near Great Barrington and Lee which have the culture, etc you're looking for... Go to berkshireweb.com and there's a good map of the Berkshires there. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2007, 10:06 PM

19 posts, read 97,882 times
As I mentioned in another string, plenty of great neighborhoods in Springfield. For 150 you can pick up either a ranch in 16 acres (quiet suburban area) or a larger victorian in some of the other neighborhoods. Some of the neighborhoods are spotty, but many are great investments.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:06 AM

15 posts, read 69,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
Mass is the fifth or sixth highest state for cost of living.
There's ways you can save though. Drive an old junker, and keep your house square footage requirements down to a minimum. If yer in a more rural area, you won't have to pay water and sewer bills cuz you'll have a well and septic tank. It's only about a hundered bucks to pump it every three or four years. Get a pellet stove and build or buy a house that faces south. If you live in the hills, you probably won't need central air. Just a whole house fan. Power here is expensive.
)
I am sorry but I have to disagree with some of this. Buy and old junker? We have very stringent car inspection laws here. If your car does not pass safety and emmissions you will have to get a new one or sink tons of money into getting it fixed. Sure you save on excise tax but beware of the state inspection!
I have septic and well water. Sure there are no monthly bills but pumping septic is more like $300 every 3 yrs, and you better hope the tank doesn't leak or your out about $15G for repairs that you HAVE to do. And well water requires electricity to run the pump-runs up electric bill and when you lose power you lose water. We had to replace our well pump a few years ago because it just got old, as they do- I think that cost about $1200. Another time at another house the pump was struck by lightening-home owners insurance helped with that after the big deductable.

A pellet stove? yeah, they are nice but pellets are not cheap either and the stoves are about $4000. It takes a while to break even. We have done the wood stove thing-have to clean the chimney 2-3 times a year at $200 a time or you get a chimney fire.

No, you won't need air conitioning-that I have to agree with.

New Englanders are independent and think we are saving all of this money with our wood stoves and duck taping things back togethor and back to the land lifestyle. I guess I am just saying to beware. It just will cost money to live here, as it does anywhere.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:46 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Prudence, are you talking about West Springfield? I can't recall from my working years in the City any good looking neighbourhoods that didn't literally move rapidly into a very poor, unattended community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudence View Post
As I mentioned in another string, plenty of great neighborhoods in Springfield. For 150 you can pick up either a ranch in 16 acres (quiet suburban area) or a larger victorian in some of the other neighborhoods. Some of the neighborhoods are spotty, but many are great investments.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:43 AM

79 posts, read 396,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
I am sorry but I have to disagree with some of this. Buy and old junker? We have very stringent car inspection laws here. If your car does not pass safety and emmissions you will have to get a new one or sink tons of money into getting it fixed. Sure you save on excise tax but beware of the state inspection!
I have septic and well water. Sure there are no monthly bills but pumping septic is more like $300 every 3 yrs, and you better hope the tank doesn't leak or your out about $15G for repairs that you HAVE to do. And well water requires electricity to run the pump-runs up electric bill and when you lose power you lose water. We had to replace our well pump a few years ago because it just got old, as they do- I think that cost about $1200. Another time at another house the pump was struck by lightening-home owners insurance helped with that after the big deductable.

A pellet stove? yeah, they are nice but pellets are not cheap either and the stoves are about $4000. It takes a while to break even. We have done the wood stove thing-have to clean the chimney 2-3 times a year at $200 a time or you get a chimney fire.

No, you won't need air conitioning-that I have to agree with.

New Englanders are independent and think we are saving all of this money with our wood stoves and duck taping things back togethor and back to the land lifestyle. I guess I am just saying to beware. It just will cost money to live here, as it does anywhere.

Well, when I say "old junker" what I really meant is a vehicle that is older that you don't get killed on excise tax (don't you love that one?) and you don't have to bother with collision insurance. I find if you get friendly with someone in the car inspection business, you can get any car through. That's the way it works in Mass. Cronyism is the law of the land
On the septic issue, I'm only going on what I paid last fall for two tanks ( I have two tanks), it was $125 a piece.
I hear you on the repair costs. But the way I figure, even if you had to replace the well pump, it would never add up to 20 years worth of water and sewer bills.
On the pellet stove, mine was only 1600 bucks and I put it in myself. I buy the pellets in Vermont in bulk and it is a better deal than oil let me tell you.
My point is here, that if you put some effort in, and you are careful, you can streamline your fixed costs, and do alright here in Mass. I'm in no way advocating living here. I'm outa here as soon as my daughter graduates high school. I'm headed for an area with a lower cost of living and I'll never look back.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
I'm in no way advocating living here. I'm outa here as soon as my daughter graduates high school. I'm headed for an area with a lower cost of living and I'll never look back.
I moved to NY state where I have lots of work, but property taxes are OUTRAGEOUS! I think I would rather pay equity in a house in MA than an additional mortgage payment monthly to pay NY property taxes. Hence this is why I choose to relocate to Western MA to live. I don't think it is all that bad in MASS. So where is the cost of living better with some culture, space and employment?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwgans View Post
On many websites for realtors in Berkshire County, there will be a link for "search more listings" which allows anyone to search all MLS listings in all Berkshire County towns -- the MLS site was recently upgraded so that when you find a property, if you click on "view map" and then click on the picture of the house in the next screen, you get the actual address of the property and most properties also have an accompanying aerial view map which is very helpful -- especially to see what is around the property that's for sale -- e.g., a train track running through the rear of the property. We use Barnbrook Realty's website for this all the time.... If you're looking for property in the Berkshires, I would definitley use this search option, and again, Sandisfield seems to be an affordable town -- you may also find something in your price range in New Marlboro and Egrement which are closer to the NY state border -- Sandisfield is closer to CT border -- in fact, it's on the CT border, as is New Marlboro. All of these twosn are near Great Barrington and Lee which have the culture, etc you're looking for... Go to berkshireweb.com and there's a good map of the Berkshires there. Good luck!
Thanks for all the great info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts