U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 17,301 times

Advertisements

Hello. My boyfriend and I are in out late twenties and planning on moving to the cape to work seasonally this year. We are both very skilled servers, myself with 8 years fine dining experience. We live in Florida so we naturally want to leave during the summer months and we have heard that the Cape is bustling.........but will it be worthwhile to pay the extrordinary living costs???? Should we try Newport instead??? We dont want to live in employee housing with a bunch of college kids. Where is the busiest area with fine dining opportunities????? PLEASE help
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM

10,965 posts, read 19,440,367 times
Hmmm... This is tough. I think both Newport and Cape Cod are going to be expensive. In Cape Cod the best bet for affordable living AND fine dining in one place is probably Hyannis. There are sections of this town that aren't exactly tourist friendly (home to plenty of suburban box stores, etc) and they will be a bit cheaper. In fact, if you don't mind living away from the beach, you may be able to find something reasonable. Other towns to look at in terms of restaurants are Chatham and Provincetown.... they'll likely cost a bit more though.

All that being said, if I were in your boat, I'd pick Newport (I'm assuming you mean Newport RI?). Newport has a BUNCH of fine-dining restaurants in a small area. You'll probably have a litte more luck with finding someplace affordable to rent seasonally (check Jamestown, Portsmouth and Middletown for rentals too as they're close enough to Newport to commute if you can find cheaper rent).

Another reason I say Newport over Cape Cod is that there's more for you to do. Newport is very fun in and of itself, but it's also close to Bristol, Providence and about 1.5 hours from Boston if you really want to escape the tourism thing for a day (or night) or so. I know a bunch of 20 somethings who live and work in Newport during the summer and it's a great community.

It's likely not going to be cheap in either place, but if you want the escape from Florida, it's likely going to be worth it (assuming you both find a job). Both places will have a good number of opportunities, but as a 20 something myself (23) I much prefer Newport as it's a bit more exciting.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:28 AM

746 posts, read 3,381,064 times
The people who work at the restaurants and retail stores in resort communities usually can't afford to live there. As a result, many operators have bought houses and cram them with foreign workers who will live in such cramped conditions.

There are plenty of jobs that average $10 an hour but a studio apartment will often cost $1,000+ a month and often more - if you can even find one.

I lived in Provincetown for many years and finally had to move when the building that had my apartment was sold and the rent doubled. Even as the owner of the retail store, I couldn't afford to live there.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 17,301 times
Thank You everyone. I think after doing more research that Newport sounds a little easier to do. Is there an influx of jobs during the summer for servers in newport. Do you think it will be tough finding a good job if we commit to june- october?????

Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 AM

10,965 posts, read 19,440,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere34114 View Post
Thank You everyone. I think after doing more research that Newport sounds a little easier to do. Is there an influx of jobs during the summer for servers in newport. Do you think it will be tough finding a good job if we commit to june- october?????
I think that's a good choice. I would start looking at craigslist and calling/ emailing ASAP. There are many seasonal restaurants and many that are open year round hire additional help for the summer. I think you'd be in a good situation if you committed for those months (they MAY not need you through October, but it couldn't hurt to be available).

Normally, I'd say it wouldn't be tough but given this economy and the vast numbers of people out of work, there may be a bit more competition. Like I said, Now would be a good time to start getting in contact with places (use a site like Yelp.com or Opentable.com to find a list of Newport Restaurants and call or email whether they say they're hiring or not).

Hiring may involve you coming up here for interviews before the summer, so be prepared. A good resume and references will help.

There's a restaurant called "The Landing" that's higher end cuisine during lunch and dinner (about $30-40 per person not including drinks) and is open as a bar until 1am and I have two friends who work there seasonally (both Grad Students) and love it. They enjoy the crowd (at night and during the day) and their coworkers. I know they hire a bunch of people for seasonal employment. There are bunch of other places in Newport that have the same type of atmosphere and hire lots of seasonal servers, but that's a name you can start your search with if you want. their website: http://www.thelandingrestaurantnewport.com/

For more specific information or questions about particular restaurants, you can post in Rhode Island forum or direct message me and I'll answer your question if I can.

good luck!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:30 PM

20 posts, read 59,773 times
I live on Cape Cod and have worked many summers in the service industry. The last few summers have shown a marked decrease in tourism and sadly there are not very many fine dining establishments. The ones that are here often have staff that live here year round and come back every year. I would go with Newport, especially given your ages- the Cape kind of sucks for young people.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,220 times
does anyone know about jobs on nantucket as a fine dining server?

Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 PM

9 posts, read 13,669 times
newport is your best bet....you can make more money,,and housing choices are better outside of the city

Old 03-07-2009, 07:48 AM

639 posts, read 3,408,968 times
I think before you give up on Cape Cod you should check with the Irish Village in West Yarmouth first. They have bus loads of people that stop in for breakfast and/or dinner quite alot and it's always busy in their dining room; usually they have the same wait staff year in and year out from Ireland, but lately in the last few years we're seeing a lot of our own Americans working there from all around the country. Check there first before you head to Newport. You could hopefully find a place to live thru them or they will at least get you hooked up with where to live near the Village or even in Hyannis within a good driving range, which is where you'd be hanging out at night any way at your age!

Cape Cod Irish Village :: Welcome! :: The Best of Ireland on Cape Cod

It's located at 512 Main Street in West Yarmouth 02673....

Good luck!

YES Newport is definitely a good idea AND so isn't Providence these days. SO much going on there with their Water Fire show they put on every so many weekends. It's quite a place, tons of restaurants and good ones through the city; not to mention Federal Hill where all the wonderful Italian restaurants are located, it's a lot like the North End! I finally checked it out this past summer and LOVED it there. We stayed at the Marriott Renaissance Hotel and it was GREAT there because it was within walking distance to the Providence Place Mall, we thought it was fantastic there for the day and that night checking out their water fire show was awesome, TONS of people in the summer months because of this event they do. So that might be an idea too if Cape Cod or Newport didn't work out. This way you'd have the best of both worlds, you could always go to Newport & the Cape on your days off, IF you get time off that is! I remember working 6 days a week when I waitressed, it was non-stop & on my day off I just wanted to hang at the beach all day!

Have a great time this summer, hopefully you find just the right spot!
Just my two cents again

Last edited by CityGirl52; 03-07-2009 at 07:56 AM..

Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 PM

1,740 posts, read 3,262,809 times
I would say Cape Cod would be great for you. Hyannis has the most hustle and bustle on the Cape but you may prefer to live on the Lower or Outer Cape since these sections get a lot of tourists as well and you get more of a Cape Cod feel down there. Hyannis is more commercial. However, if your priority is to make as much money as you can then Hyannis is the best place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts