Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:06 PM

15 posts, read 87,816 times

Advertisements

Furniture - IKEA is famous for the flat boxes. Typical furniture stores will not have you build. Furniture bought at discount stores (Target, Kohl and the like) will need assembly.

Broadband - Comcast is the dominant player in the area. Monthly cost is $50. You may find some less expensive DSL, but you'll notice a difference in speed.

Vet - Sorry. The only animal I have is a wife and she goes to human M.D.s.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 12:08 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimplet View Post
Thanks for all your feedback everyone, you've all been very helpful

Funnily enough, I am looking at getting a Ford Hybrid once we relocate to USA. I had a Ford Maverick a year ago which I had to sell due to its massive mpg. It broke my heart to replace it with a considerably smaller C-Max!! Ford no longer makes SUV's in the UK, so I can only get the hybrid once we move.

I meant to ask about furniture too. Is it all flatpack (like IKEA) in the states?? Here we can't even get something as simple as a lawnmower without literally building it

And how much does a vet consultation cost in the Salem area?

Finally broadband costs, if anyone can help. Again, around the Salem area. I imagine there is broadband available everywhere.
Now I know why Bill Gates is so bloody rich...Vista costs £200 here( that would be $100) God knows why, Vista is Vista,no
You'll have lots of options in terms of furniture here. Most furniture stores do not sell the stuff that ikea sells. it's real furniture that doesn't require a screwdriver. of course it is MUCH MORE expensive than ikea. My sofa cost me $1400.00 which isn't considered to be extremely expensive. The sofa I WANTED when I was looking cost $3200.00. to get an idea of the furniture stores here check out: www.jordans.com, www.bernphyl.com, www.circlefurniture.com, www.cabothouse.com and for cheap stuff www.mybobs.com.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:02 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,175 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your feedback everyone, you've all been very helpful

Funnily enough, I am looking at getting a Ford Hybrid once we relocate to USA. I had a Ford Maverick a year ago which I had to sell due to its massive mpg. It broke my heart to replace it with a considerably smaller C-Max!! Ford no longer makes SUV's in the UK, so I can only get the hybrid once we move.

I meant to ask about furniture too. Is it all flatpack (like IKEA) in the states?? Here we can't even get something as simple as a lawnmower without literally building it

And how much does a vet consultation cost in the Salem area?

Finally broadband costs, if anyone can help. Again, around the Salem area. I imagine there is broadband available everywhere.
Now I know why Bill Gates is so bloody rich...Vista costs £200 here( that would be $100) God knows why, Vista is Vista,no
Good for you- save the world too with a hybrid...

Furniture:
Jordan's: superior selection, but can be pricey. There is a large showroom in Reading (about 20 minutes from Salem). They have a new program called the 'Whole She-bang' which is essentially all the furntiure for an entire room. Prices are quite competitive at around $1500-$2000
Bernie & Phyls: good selection- not as much as Jordan's, but good. Slightly better deals if they have what you are looking for.
Bob's: the cheapest, but not the best selection or quality. Sometimes good for smaller items.

We also have an Ikea, but it is an hour drive from Salem.

Broadband- Comcast at about $47/month, but if you package it up with home phone and cable TV, you might get a better deal.

Vets- there is an excellent Vet hospital here in Salem right near a new dog-park: http://www.creaturehealth.com

A regular check-up for a cat is around $100 if you include shots and other tests.

BTW, if you are interested in Salem, I actually have my condo for sale/rent:

http://web.mac.com/deyano/iWeb/12%20Dearborn/home.html

Old 03-16-2007, 03:08 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,485,715 times
Furniture has very high profit margins. If you are buying more than 1-2 pieces of furniture, it is cheaper to buy them in N. Carolina even with shipping cost included.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:54 AM

23 posts, read 95,477 times
Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Will spend tonight surfing through all the links you've given me.
NY'er, I wish I could pack my bags right now and buy/rent your condo, but it will take at least another year for me to find sponsorship to nurse in the states, not to mention doggy and cat passports, and writing entrance exams etc. I've already decided that Boston is where I want to work, and Salem or Marblehead is where we're looking to move to. When it comes to moving, I'll be well prepared thanks to this excellent forum and all the info on the internet, webcams and so on :-)

Old 03-16-2007, 01:19 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,175 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Will spend tonight surfing through all the links you've given me.
NY'er, I wish I could pack my bags right now and buy/rent your condo, but it will take at least another year for me to find sponsorship to nurse in the states, not to mention doggy and cat passports, and writing entrance exams etc. I've already decided that Boston is where I want to work, and Salem or Marblehead is where we're looking to move to. When it comes to moving, I'll be well prepared thanks to this excellent forum and all the info on the internet, webcams and so on :-)
Best of luck with it all!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:48 PM

967 posts, read 4,785,303 times
Re: hybrids, the PRIUS gets far better gas mileage than the Ford version & has received positive safety ratings. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts