Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 AM

11 posts, read 52,869 times

Advertisements

Hello Team,

My wife accepted a job in Lawrence Hospital. I am not familiar with north of Boston region and need help. We also have a 2yr old. Here is what I am looking for:

I would like to find a town that has solid school districts. A town that maybe has a small downtown to walk in, perhaps has or is close to some parks and other recreational activities, cafes, restaurants and other things to do. We both have cars, however I am trying to avoid the life where I can't do anything without my car. Something that also has relatively educated and open minded people.

I would like to find a place that is a decent drive to Lawrence hospital (under 20 minutes) and an easy drive into Boston (for the weekends). I am moving from NYC so I am used to the traffic issue and can deal with it when need be (though I would prefer not to).

So far I've found the following towns of interest north of Boston and I would LOVE to hear what you think about them...

North Reading - close to Boston, seems to have very good schools. What else is there? How is it like?

Andover and North Andover - slightly further away from Boston, but again, good schools... What else is there? How is it like?

Boxford - I am not sure about this one. It seems to be a bit far to both Lawrence Hospital and Boston. Looking at google maps it just seems like massive suburban sprawl (meaning lots of estate houses connected by roads - no downtown or anything).

Any other towns I should look at? Your feedback on anything above would be greatly appreciated. I will rent before I buy so I will get to experience a bit of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 AM

967 posts, read 4,785,828 times
Andover is pretty with strong schools & an easy commute to Lawrence. There is some stuff you can walk to downtown, including a good bookstore. I wouldn't say it's the most vibrant downtown but it does have coffee shop, bookstore, stores, etc. you can walk to. I don't think you'd have any shortage of recreational activities there.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:57 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times
When we moved up here eight years ago, my SIL tried to convince us to move to Newburyport. I don't know how close it is to Lawrence, I just know it's supposedly a really cute seaside village with good schools.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:52 PM

142 posts, read 358,290 times
Andover is your answer; it has excellent public schools; a nice little downtown (or uptown as locals call it) with restaurants and shops , excellent public library and even has a wonderful museum at Phillips Academy - the Addison, http://www.addisongallery.org/

Andover is next door to Lawrence and also touches Route 93; giving you a quick and direct ride to Boston for your weekend getaways.

I lived in Andover years ago and highly recommend it.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:09 AM

11 posts, read 52,869 times
Thank you all very much for your feedback. Does anyone have any experience with Boxford? What is that town like? Is it a community or just suburban mansion sprawl? Thanks again for your time and feedback!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:14 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Boxford is a beautiful but very rural-like community, horse country and all. Not McMansions, older big houses, lots of money. Of course, that's not all it is, there are more modest homes with people who lived there a long time, but it is primarily rural. I agree with others who think Andover is perfect for you. North Reading is fine, too, but Andover is perfect on counts, if you can afford it.
The northern seaside towns are lovely and expensive, but mainly they are a lousy drive to Lawrence. I think you've pinned down the couple of perfect areas. Best wishes.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,712 times
Why not check out Lowell. I lived in NYC with my parents 20 yrs ago, and I know there's always things to do. The downtown Lowell has parks and other recreational activities, cafes, restaurants, and so on. Once the kid turns to 4 or 5 you can move to solid school districts.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Boxford, as has been said, is very rural and it's also politically one of the most conservative parts of the state. It's pretty but there's not much to do. I'd stick with Andover.

Do you mean Lawrence Hospital in Medford or Lawrence General in Lawrence? Andover to Medford is a pretty direct shot down 93 in the morning. There's traffic but I think it's worse closer to the city. You can also learn the back ways around the Fells if you don't like sitting on 93.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:42 PM

16 posts, read 74,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80smith View Post
Why not check out Lowell. I lived in NYC with my parents 20 yrs ago, and I know there's always things to do. The downtown Lowell has parks and other recreational activities, cafes, restaurants, and so on. Once the kid turns to 4 or 5 you can move to solid school districts.

I grew up in Lowell and there are not many educated open minded people there. But If you're looking for a high crime city then sure, move right in.

Andover is your best bet. Nice people, though a bit snobby for my taste. I'm more of a red-neck, but can appreciate a nice town like Andover. It's nice and safe. It has a small but nice downtown, but I can't afford it.

If your wife could handle a 30 minute commute, Winchester is right off 93, so it's 5 minutes from Boston, has a very Liberal type population, and is more city-like but still a top tier Town.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:13 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Boxford is a beautiful town but unless you're looking for total and complete change of life from NYC, I don't know if it's the town for you. What the people who live in Boxford have moved there for is to get away from it all and have their own quiet world. It's a lovely town, but is it right for you??

Boxford has 2-acre zoning, which means that homes often have wet land areas, conservation restrictions or protective convents. There is no public water or sewer in the town--are you prepared to deal with private well and septic/Title V requirements? There is no entertainment to speak of, shopping, etc will be out of town. In a pinch, there is a small grocery in next-door Georgetown, along with sandwich shops, and some businesses near the the town square. You would need a car to do just about ANYTHING if you're living in Boxford. Be prepared to drive the kids wherever they need to go.

I concur with Andover. Everything you need is in town, very good schools, easy to Lawrence and if you're not commuting to Boston and only going in for entertainment, etc on nights and weekends, it's a straight shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts