Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 12,886 times

Advertisements

Please tell me the best way to get to Belmont Center from Acton by 8 am? I have read that taking the 2East should be avoided early in the am. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 11:00 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,016,529 times
I think that Route 2 eastbound should be alright to travel. I feel that it only gets cloggy entering the Cambridge Fresh Pond area with the traffic lights and rotaries. Study the map and get acquainted with getting to Belmont Center via the early Route 2 exits. That way, if the traffic ever backs up sooner, just jump off Route 2 earlier. For instance, if you take the Arlington Heights exit, but stay along that frontage road that parallels Route 2, you can avoid highway traffic and still get quickly and easily to Pleasant St. and on into Belmont.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,264,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
For instance, if you take the Arlington Heights exit, but stay along that frontage road that parallels Route 2, you can avoid highway traffic and still get quickly and easily to Pleasant St. and on into Belmont.
Just to tweak this particular example: if you get off at Arlington Hghts (Park Av), you can turn right on Park Av, take Prospect St (2nd turnoff) at the rotary, and bear right onto Clifton St for a quick and direct route to Belmont Center. In fact, I'd do it this way even without traffic. Going to Pleasant St. sort of requires going slightly past just to double back and it's usually more likely to back up than Prospect and Clifton Sts.

From the Winter St exit, you head into Belmont and go left on Concord Av. Also straight to Belmont Center.

It's a bit of a hassle since the ramp puts you in the wrong direction and you have to turn around, but the Spring St exit in Waltham has you at the western end of Concord Av. I've never really had to do it inbound at rush hour, but generally Concord Av. in this stretch (which runs parallel to Rt. 2) is not heavily trafficked. Could be an alternative if 2 really is backed up.

For getting from Acton to the general Belmont vicinity, it's Route 2 all the way. It's not worth it to get into 128 to the Pike or Route 3.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 AM

18,612 posts, read 33,184,922 times
Rt. 2 east is basically the only way to go. I work in Belmont, right off Winter Street. If I ever have to be in at 8a (rare) I leave at 6:30a and go to breakfast at Andros Diner. If you leave at a "normal" time to get to Belmont at 8a, you will be backed up on 2 east with everyone else.
You shouldn't have to get to Fresh Pond to go to Belmont, but the suggestion to get off at Winter Street is a very good one.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:18 PM

Took the 2 all the way getting off at Pleasant to Blanchard. The 2 was a breeze except when you get into Concord but afterwards smooth. More backed up on Blanchard to Grove and still got there in 25 minutes. Did I just get lucky with the 2 or not? Left at 7:15.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 AM

18,612 posts, read 33,184,922 times
The Purple Line commuter train runs from South Acton to Waverly Square in Belmont, and the schedule is very good for M-F business hour commuting.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:19 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,264,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The Purple Line commuter train runs from South Acton to Waverly Square in Belmont, and the schedule is very good for M-F business hour commuting.
The train goes to Belmont Center as well. If you have to go to Grove St you can take the 75 bus from Belmont Center, or the 73 runs from Waverley down Belmont St and stops at Grove and Belmont.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 PM

The commute turned out to be really easy to Belmont in the Am and on the way home on the 2 until you get near Concord. Takes about 21 minutes in the am and 30 coming home at 5:30. Even so, I'm looking for something closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts