Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 06:21 AM

6 posts, read 37,300 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be working in Natick, and am currently looking for apartments. I've seen two listings - one is in Brookline, and the other is in Dedham.
Commute-wise, are either of the two good options? I have a car, but would prefer not to have to get on the freeway (route 9 is ok with me).

There's also a 1-bedroom in Woburn Center that I am looking at - although it looks like that might be a bit out of the way.

Also, I am a single female living alone, so security/safety is a priority.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 AM

8 posts, read 26,416 times
I would say Brookline is your best option, route 9 nearby and close enough to Newton and Boston area. Good luck with your search!!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,332,907 times
I worked in Framingham w/a guy who lived in Brookline, I think.

He liked the reverse commute, but he did use the Mass Pike, not route 9.

I don't know about Route 9 coming in from Boston, but I will tell you that for a period of time i commuted from Worcester to Framingham and then Worcester to Natick. Obviously this is not the direction you will be coming from, but Route 9 was a pain in the ass whenever I had to be on it. It's just annoying w/all the lights.

Is there any reason you don't want to use the Pike?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:38 AM

6 posts, read 37,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I worked in Framingham w/a guy who lived in Brookline, I think.
Is there any reason you don't want to use the Pike?
I'm just not a big fan of freeways - I don't like driving too fast

But Brookline does sound pretty nice - close to everything.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:45 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,332,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishingwell2008 View Post
I'm just not a big fan of freeways - I don't like driving too fast

But Brookline does sound pretty nice - close to everything.

I know what you mean.

Believe me when I changed jobs from Framingham to Natick, the extra 7 miles on the Pike was unbelievable. I was also working an hour later.

When I'd get on the Pike in Natick at 5:30, it was like that hour and that 7 miles turned people into maniacs. Everyone was driving like 80 mph, then all of a sudden they'd be breaking and going down to 30 mph within seconds. I did that commute during the last two trimesters of my pregnancy and let me tell you, it was so stressful. You'd be cruising along and BAM! everyone was freaking out and breaking and practically coming to a screeching halt. It was so annoying. I would have never imagined there would be such a difference from the 4:30 Framingham commute and the 5:30 Natick commute.

So I hear you about the highway. It all depends on how everyone is behaving.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 AM

8 posts, read 26,416 times
Mommytotwo is rigth in some point, route 9 could be annoying but I think the commute is terrible everywhere. I work in Boston but I live in the North shore area. I take commuter rail and I love it. I don't like the stress to drive back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts