Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 AM

23 posts, read 118,205 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I need some guidance from you bright folks.
I've found a fantastic location for my bakery in Springfield, MA. After reading all the anti-springfield posts however I'm growing a bit concerned. We are only on paper at this point so no commitement has been made to any space.
I'd be relocation to Springfield from Manhattan and I'm wondering how it compares to NYC.
My family owns property in Northampton and in Middlefield but my travels to Springfield have been to the Big E and nothing more.
Am I completely off my rocker here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 12:10 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
I am not a big Springfield fan..

To be quite honest with you I worked in a "nice" area of Springfield and we still had cars get stolen out of the parking lot, a few people I knew got mugged in broad daylight and depending on the area of Springfield I simply would not go there by myself day or night and i have been to a lot of parts of NYC alone..It certainly does not compare in any way to Manhatten.

If you have the opportunity to open up in Chicopee on Memorial Drive or in Northampton I think it would be a better idea. I think even South Hadely or Hadley/Amherst might be better. If you have only seen the Big E (which is actually not in Springfield, it is in West Springfield which is a bit nicer) you should not blindly open up a business in Springfield. Longmeadow is nice, Southwick and Agwam too. Springfield is just ick IMHO. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:05 PM

54 posts, read 372,322 times
Default Springfield

I am saddened by the state of Springfield these days. I always like the city better than, say, Worcester, but as of now, I don't feel especially good about either one of them.

I took a drive around the inner city a couple of weeks ago (it has been awhile), and it was worse than I remember it. People just walking in the middle of the street in various locations, oblivious to others around them. Really, the look was that of no sense of self-worth. I wouldn't have thought much more of it, had I not seen it several times that day. I used to feel fairly comfortable out there, but now, that feeling is gone.

Just on the population front alone, there is no good way to compare Springfield to NYC, though to bring problems up to Springfield from NYC (crime, drugs, etc) is not too difficult, and has known to happen. Those with the idea that living as a gangster is the only way to be accepted, etc.

Having said that - why do these people feel that way? Is it because businesses have left them behind? Is it because of all the political and financial problems the city still has to face, cleaning up the mess of past administrations?

Do know that there are some difficult issues to deal with there, and you should be aware of them.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 7,842 times
Have you given Hinsdale a look. There is a very nice store,Good Size,,that closed in Dec.2007. I beleive it will be a good and safe location for what you are looking for. It is about 10-15 drive from Middlefield. I appoligize for not being able to come up with the name of this store. Please e-mail @ [EMAIL="bpjanik@hotmail.com"]bpjanik@hotmail.com[/EMAIL],,,,,,

Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 19,791 times
Default Welcome

I'm a 25 year old male.
I was born and raised in springfield and I'm still here. probably will be here forever.

dont listen to these people on here. theyre all sheltered little cowards.

you will be fine. especially coming from manhattan..

people on here drive thru springfield for 5 minutes. see some dark skin and baggy clothes. then run home to the suburbs and talk all this **** on the internet about how springfield is a war zone.

if u were good in New York, u will be fine in springfield. if anything, you'll be more relaxed.

where are u thinking of opening your bakery? if u dont mind me asking.

I personally would like to see a new business like that open up here. and would look forward to trying it.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 19,791 times
[I took a drive around the inner city a couple of weeks ago (it has been awhile), and it was worse than I remember it. People just walking in the middle of the street in various locations, oblivious to others around them. Really, the look was that of no sense of self-worth. I wouldn't have thought much more of it, had I not seen it several times that day. I used to feel fairly comfortable out there, but now, that feeling is gone.

Just on the population front alone, there is no good way to compare Springfield to NYC, though to bring problems up to Springfield from NYC (crime, drugs, etc) is not too difficult, and has known to happen. Those with the idea that living as a gangster is the only way to be accepted, etc.

Having said that - why do these people feel that way? Is it because businesses have left them behind? Is it because of all the political and financial problems the city still has to face, cleaning up the mess of past administrations?

Do know that there are some difficult issues to deal with there, and you should be aware of them.[/quote]

thats just what this country does to minorities. its not just springfield. not just worcester. go to any city with a population over 50,000. and go to the Hood. its the same everywhere.
its just a way of life to us now. if ur not a G, then ur not a man.
we dont grow up even thinking its a possibility for us to be a doctor or lawyer or anything close to that. we see how **** works out here, and so thats the path we choose from early on.
stay in the streets, build a rep. make your name known. and become respected so nobody will **** with you.
the ones that can do that the best, can get rich right here on the block.
otherwise u just end up either on some kind of assistence. or u get a little bull**** job and keep yourself cooped up in the house. and look over your shoulder all day if your not strong enough to show people they cant mess with you.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 7,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCokeGal View Post
Hi all!
I need some guidance from you bright folks.
I've found a fantastic location for my bakery in Springfield, MA. After reading all the anti-springfield posts however I'm growing a bit concerned. We are only on paper at this point so no commitement has been made to any space.
I'd be relocation to Springfield from Manhattan and I'm wondering how it compares to NYC.
My family owns property in Northampton and in Middlefield but my travels to Springfield have been to the Big E and nothing more.
Am I completely off my rocker here?
Springfield is not bad. again it's not good, but it ain't NYC thats for sure, I lived here all my life except for 10 years I lived in Miami Beach, did I miss it, NO, not at all,Is there crime, of course there is just like every other city in America,If it wasn't for my moms health I'ed leave here yesterday and no looking back, but thats me,Your starting a bakery, thats cool everyone loves a good bakery, but stay away from north end,south end and the McNight area,other then that you'll be fine

Old 06-03-2008, 09:54 AM

166 posts, read 705,213 times
It depends on what type of bakery you plan on having. If its one where you want to sell things on site and want lots of foot traffic and community support, then I would say that your only option in Springfield would be downtown where you will get a lot of business from workers on their lunch breaks.

If your bakery is only a place to bake and everything will be sold off-site, then anywhere in Springfield will do and you could probably find a good deal on a building/land for your business.

There is a pretty famous Italian bakery in Springfield, La Fiorentina. You might want to get in contact with them for some advice.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 AM

21 posts, read 86,307 times
I don't even live in Springfield, but my entire family does and I can honestly say that Springfield is not NEARLY as bad as what everyone makes it out to be. Sure it's seen better days, but I can think of New England cities that are much worse (Hartford, CT-Bridgeport, CT-Providence, RI-Worcester, MA-Fitchburg, MA)

You will be fine in Springfield, and hopefully you will grow to love it just as I have. The city is rich in culture (especially Italian and Portuguese), and is home to the 9th largest fair in the United States (the Big E) over the river in West Springfield. Welcome to Springfield, I'm sure you'll love it!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:39 PM

166 posts, read 705,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geotennis777 View Post
I don't even live in Springfield, but my entire family does and I can honestly say that Springfield is not NEARLY as bad as what everyone makes it out to be. Sure it's seen better days, but I can think of New England cities that are much worse (Hartford, CT-Bridgeport, CT-Providence, RI-Worcester, MA-Fitchburg, MA)

You will be fine in Springfield, and hopefully you will grow to love it just as I have. The city is rich in culture (especially Italian and Portuguese), and is home to the 9th largest fair in the United States (the Big E) over the river in West Springfield. Welcome to Springfield, I'm sure you'll love it!
You think Providence is worse??? You have to be joking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts