Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 PM

10 posts, read 26,858 times

Advertisements

hey thanks to everyone who responded, you all gave some valuable info. i really appreciate all the input. thanks again. i'll be traveling to ma in the next few weeks to look around. i'm sure i'll have more questions then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 04:22 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
Wattersn, you're lucky to have Irfox as an expert on your neck of the woods--an expert and super helpful poster.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:23 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
I'll second lrfox, which is generally a good policy. Freetown and Lakeville are nice towns, affordable compared to areas closer to Boston or along the coast (i.e. Hingham to Duxbury), and are in the center of the territory, more or less. They also have pretty good access to a number of roads crossing the area. 495, 140 to New Bedford, 24 to Fall River and Boston/128 (though avoid in the rush), US 44, etc. Neighboring Bridgewater may also be worth a look.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:51 AM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
If the ocean isn't a priority check out Easton and Sharon. There some other nice towns as well that are West.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
If the ocean isn't a priority check out Easton and Sharon. There some other nice towns as well that are West.
Her budget is $350,000, so Sharon is pretty much off the table. I was originally going to suggest to the OP the town of Mansfield, which seems ideally located given her husband's territory. Good access to 95 to both Dedham and Providence, and also 495 for the the cape and southeastern Ma.
No ocean, but the schools would be better there than Plymouth, though. And there is the train to Boston and Providence, plus plenty of local shopping options. It's probably worth checking out, you never know you could pick up a bargain in this real estate market.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Wattersn, you're lucky to have Irfox as an expert on your neck of the woods--an expert and super helpful poster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I'll second lrfox, which is generally a good policy. Freetown and Lakeville are nice towns, affordable compared to areas closer to Boston or along the coast (i.e. Hingham to Duxbury), and are in the center of the territory, more or less. They also have pretty good access to a number of roads crossing the area. 495, 140 to New Bedford, 24 to Fall River and Boston/128 (though avoid in the rush), US 44, etc. Neighboring Bridgewater may also be worth a look.
Thanks, guys! It's nice to hear some positive feedback.

Just about everyone on in this thread has posted some valuable information; all of it worth taking into account in making your decision. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:38 AM

270 posts, read 1,360,762 times
Check out Walpole, it is right between Boston and Providence, has good access to the west and east. There could be more shopping of course, but you will find enough small and big retail around. The area has a lot of open space, parks, woods and all the neighboring towns are nice.
Yes I know the schools: somebody once scolded me in the forum that I am doing towns a disfavor by saying this but I stand by my analysis :-) Walpole is not top ranked but definitely in the first 30% of the state. Norfolk county is the second highest ranked public school county in the nation (no 1 is in CA). So I'd say even the not so high schools here are just fine. We have two children and I am very happy with the schools in town.
Now housing might be a little bit higher then your budget but it is coming down somewhat and you might find something. Also there are plenty of new, newer and older houses and condos here.
I will not skip this, Walpole has a prison and that bothered me at first but now I don't even think about it. It just got downgraded into a medium security facility (from max) and there is never any "interaction" (luckily).
There are other towns around here that I like as well: Franklin, Mansfield, Wrentham, Foxboro....
Good Luck

PS: Walpole has a train into Boston Southstation

Last edited by haberstroh; 03-10-2009 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: adding something

Old 03-10-2009, 04:17 PM

64 posts, read 125,490 times
I live in Fairhaven Ma. I lived in MA all my life and had never heard of it until I met my husband, who is from here. I love this little town. It's coastal. I have the harbor literally a block from my house. House prices are weird right now, some are still ridiculously priced but there are many for under 200K. Has a small town feel that I love.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:49 PM

10 posts, read 26,858 times
Default thanks again

hey everyone - really a big thank you for all your input this is the first time i've ever visited this kind of website and i am really impressed! i feel welcomed to ma already! keep the suggestions coming!!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 10,396 times
Default Look at Norton

My husband and I moved to Norton, MA 20 years ago and have never regretted it. We currently have a child in the high school, one in the middle school, and one in elementary. If you research homes for sale you will be pleasantly surprised by what is available in your price range. Norton still has a small-town feel, and is actually a college town (Wheaton College) so you can take in a good baseball, rugby, or basketball game during the academic year.

Of course the fiscal woes are present, but the schools have remained stable. Test scores average somewhere in the high-middle of the state, and honors and achievement courses are plentily availble for the college-bound. Very good town and high school sports programs. Our family is very involved with the Boy Scouts (son will earn his Eagle badge this year), and Norton is one of the few towns around to still have parades honoring Memorial Day and Veterans Day, and to support scouting activities.

Providence is only a twenty-minute drive - we frequently visit the Roger Williams Park Zoo there. Dedham is thirty minutes. Upper Cape Cod is forty minutes. There are commuter rail stations in two neighboring towns.

I am biased, of course, but please take a look at Norton, MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts