U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 06:55 PM

14 posts, read 109,033 times

Advertisements

i have been working for FEMA in Texas for the past 6 months. now we have been laid off and my daughter has found a job in Massachusetts. should i apply for unemployment before i leave Texas or wait til we move up to massachusetts? We literally have no home as i have been staying in hotels while working for FEMA for about a year and a half, but the last place we lived was in Florida. I also worked in DC for part of last year. its very confusing as the rules are supposedly different for former Federal workers??? i am panicked about finding a new job, although i have a computer degree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 07:00 PM

4,979 posts, read 9,126,113 times
Sounds like government workers are experiencing what the rest of us are...

Old 03-08-2009, 07:11 PM

224 posts, read 738,640 times
Have you tried talking to the unemployment office in Texas?

Old 03-09-2009, 03:39 AM

639 posts, read 3,411,506 times
January 2009 they changed the law in Massachusetts with unemployment benefits. You have to work in the state to collect it here. I don't know whether it's a federal law or just a state law though. I just know that in Massachusetts in order to collect UI benefits you have to work in the state.

Here's something from there website:

I worked in another state. How do I file for Unemployment Insurance benefits?

If you worked solely in another State you will need to file your claim against that State. Some states allow you to file your claim by phone or Internet, while others require you to visit an office in person

As far as looking for another job is concerned like the one you had with FEMA? If I were you? I'd keep putting applications in on the USAJOBS.gov site. That's what the rest of us are doing and keep plugging away with it, honestly? It's tough times everywhere. That's all we can do. The economy is SO bad now all over the country and from what I'm hearing it's all over the world. It's pretty scary for SO many of us these days. We never lived like this before, we're kind of spoiled in a way from being sheltered all these years from this stuff!

Once you get situated in the state of Massachusetts if this is where you're going to be living near or with your daughter? Then start narrowing it down to a city that you'll be living near and put applications in on the above government website. There's no jobs anywhere else that jumps out at me these days BUT with the government unfortunately! Unless you wanted to take a job in retail or in the restaurant business, even those are hard to come by these days, they're either laying off or cutting down.

Think positive, hopefully this will turn around for you & all of us! I think the first thing you should do is get out of the state of Texas as soon as you can with your daughter, thankfully she found a job up here already! Where she has the job already, head up here with her and start looking for something up here may be? I would think the closer you are to a major city, like Boston, Lowell, Framingham or Worcester? That you'd find something in your field or close to your field?? I know that the closer you are to a city, even if it's a smaller one than the city of Boston; which by the way, is the capital of the state any way, then the better off you'll be, I would think for finding employment.

I just put in two applications last week on that website and right now I'm keeping my fingers crossed too, so we'll see what happens when they close & they have to pick, they're probably inundated with applicants! I have to think positive though, that's all I can do too!

Just my two cents...again! Good luck with it all!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 PM

14 posts, read 109,033 times
thanks everyone. the texas unemployment people dont seem sure because its a federal claim and thats paid out of a different fund, federal government fund. so i am not sure if its the same as if you worked for any old employer in the state. since we are headed to mass. i will see what is there.
i will continue to try and think positive though, if for no other reason than optimists live longer!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:47 PM

368 posts, read 1,326,128 times
Thats not entirely true. You have to file in the state you worked in, IF YOU ONLY WORKED IN ONE STATE. If you worked in multiple states you can apply in any state.

That said - Apply in MASS. Texas unemployment is 392 a week. Mass unemployment is over $600 a week from an article I read in the paper. Once you apply, you collect the amount from that state no matter where you live. You won't get extra when you move to Mass.

RE: Your layoff from FEMA - did your appointment expire or were you RIF'd? It makes a big difference. What is your vet status? What authority were you employed under at FEMA? What does your 50 and 52 say?

I'm a fed employee who knows the system for hiring fairly well....

edit to add: also not sure about the 'get out of TX ASAP' comment. Texas economy is holding up MUCH better than the NE right now. Quite honestly - your JOB prospects are probably much better down south. The real estate market is still fairly firm, large employers polled plan on holding steady or hiring this year. I heard DeLio say that he expected Mass to feel the effects of the recession for up to 3 years in Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts