U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 12,024 times

Advertisements

I grew up in North Adams, and have been thinking of relocating back with my family. I have not been there in at least 10-12 years and would like some input as to the current state of the City compared to how it was in the mid 90's. Any positive as well as negative thoughts/concerns are welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:34 AM

543 posts, read 642,467 times
You won't find many good things said about North Adams in these forums, but I like the town. No lines at stores, restaurants or the RMV. It really hasn't changed much since the 90's, or 70's for that matter. Some people think thats a good thing. If you can make a living there,it really is a better way to live.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
You won't find many good things said about North Adams in these forums, but I like the town. No lines at stores, restaurants or the RMV. It really hasn't changed much since the 90's, or 70's for that matter. Some people think thats a good thing. If you can make a living there,it really is a better way to live.
Thanks for your input. From what I have read the downtown arae seems to be doing beeter then it was when I was a kid there.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM

11,294 posts, read 19,854,454 times
I'm younger, so I dont know what it was like in the 80s, but the downtown seems to be in pretty good shape. According to most, Massachusetts MoCA has had a considerable impact on the vitality of downtown North Adams.

Maybe it hasn't changed much in a while, but I don't think its gotten any worse.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 AM

When I was younger, around the time that I left the Town was starting to have a major crack/crug problem. Thats one thing that is holding me back, is it still an issue there? I know every town/city has this problem but from what I remember it was really bad in North Adams in the mid-90's Around 97-98 or so

Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 PM

746 posts, read 3,397,261 times
There are drugs in the northern Berkshires, just like everywhere else, and there are a few sections of the city I would likely avoid. But North Adams has started to change for the better, I am one of the many new residents who bought a house here. It is still tops for the outdoors, the Steeplecats play during the summer, and the arts and cultural scene has exploded with year round activity - it isn't just Tanglewood in the summer now.

The local daily paper - The Transcript - is on its last legs and you can get more up to date info on iBerkshires.com - The Berkshires online guide to events, news and Berkshire County community information. , ,or Berkshire Fine Arts plus there are a handful of savvy bloggers in the area now. Just don't take anything posted in the Transcript or Eagle's [domain blocked due to spam] sections seriously. There are a lot of naysayers bashing the area.

The best suggestion is to come back and look for yourself, and then decide.

The housing prices are very affordable. But the job market is iffy, with more specialty jobs (healthcare, education, the trades) than factory or shift work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts