Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 05:04 PM

8 posts, read 20,725 times

Advertisements

There is a job opportunity in Ayer, Mass and I am wondering what areas would be ideal for our family of 5. We have 2 kids in elementary, we are an active family who spend a great deal of time outside, running, swimming, etc. It's important to find an area that is affordable, good schools, friendly, safe and has a lot to offer for families. I am willing to commute 30 - 60 mins. The position pays in the low $50k range. I have noticed the real estate is much more expensive vs Iowa. Is this Salary Low for Mass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 05:49 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_mnoel View Post
There is a job opportunity in Ayer, Mass and I am wondering what areas would be ideal for our family of 5. We have 2 kids in elementary, we are an active family who spend a great deal of time outside, running, swimming, etc. It's important to find an area that is affordable, good schools, friendly, safe and has a lot to offer for families. I am willing to commute 30 - 60 mins.
The area out by Ayer is pretty and it's got a lot of open space compared to the part of Massachusetts closer to Boston. Affordable is relative. For example, the town of Groton, right next to Ayer, is a very nice town with good schools, etc., and there are large homes with large yards available for $350K or so. Compared to the towns nearest Boston, that is very affordable and many people are sad that it's a bit too far to commute to Boston from there every day. It may not seem affordable to you, though. Still, you are fortunate in that a job opportunity in Ayer gives you a better chance of finding affordable housing with a reasonable commute than would something in Boston.

Harvard, also next to Ayer, has great schools but may be more pricy. Same for Acton, Boxboro, and Stow (though again, still deals for those of us right near the city). Check out Littleton and Westford, which are well-liked towns that might have some more affordable options. The towns heading south along 495 might also include some good options. Sad to say, since I think we need to revive our older small and mid-sized cities, but steer clear of Fitchburg.

To keep it under 300K, if it's possible, you may want to look farther west but I can't really speak to any school districts that far from home.

Quote:
The position pays in the low $50k range. I have noticed the real estate is much more expensive vs Iowa. Is this Salary Low for Mass?
Yes and no. It is true that closer to Boston there are many towns where most households earn more, and many people who earn more (sometimes much more) individually. Some towns have average household incomes well over $100,000. And then there's Weston, which seems to be head and shoulders above all other towns around here in household income.

But the median household income in all of Massachusetts was $62K in 2007, according to the census.
ERS/USDA Data - MA Unemployment and Median Household Income

That means half the state is below that point, some families are below it even with two earners. Throughout the area there are plenty of people who get by on income in that range, particularly as you get farther from Boston, but they may not feel as rich as they would elsewhere. Many families have had no choice but to turn to two earners, and others have just been forced to spend a higher percentage of their income on housing.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM

8 posts, read 20,725 times
Thanks for the info. I checked out a few real estate sites for home sales in and around Ayer and Wow it's hard to believe the housing is sooo expensive..$300 plus for a old home with 2,000 or less SQ Footage.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:43 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
t_mnoel, the price of housing is ALWAYS a shock for folks considering a move here from other areas of the country (unless you're coming from California, and then they appear "reasonable") I've worked with more than one family who has ultimately decided that the job wasn't worth the change in lifestyle that their family would have to get used to. I experienced this myself when relocating BACK to New England after a several year stay in the midwest. We gagged at the huge increase in prices, but this area is home to us... so we sold the 5 year old model home with the 3 car side entry garage, the 4 bedrooms with walk-in closets, the 2 story foyer, the incredible landscaping... and bought the 45 year old house with an original septic system, original kitchen and lead paint. Oh yeah, and we paid 50K more for it than our house in Missouri sold for

Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I checked out a few real estate sites for home sales in and around Ayer and Wow it's hard to believe the housing is sooo expensive..$300 plus for a old home with 2,000 or less SQ Footage.
I don't know what houses go for where you live now, but here in Belmont you'd be hard pressed to find anything with 2,000 square feet for under $700K. Which is why I still rent. All in all, it's turned out cheaper for me so far. For the last couple of years I've been splitting time between here and New York City, which is just another planet in terms of housing costs. They have 2 bedroom apartments going for well over a million, with no outdoor or parking space at all, and you pay over $2,000 a month for condo maintenance fees on top of that. So, if I could stand the commute, I'd be looking out in Ayer for a bargain. All in the eye of the beholder...

Old 03-17-2009, 02:07 PM

65 posts, read 233,953 times
Quote:
There is a job opportunity in Ayer, Mass and I am wondering what areas would be ideal for our family of 5. We have 2 kids in elementary, we are an active family who spend a great deal of time outside, running, swimming, etc. It's important to find an area that is affordable, good schools, friendly, safe and has a lot to offer for families. I am willing to commute 30 - 60 mins. The position pays in the low $50k range. I have noticed the real estate is much more expensive vs Iowa. Is this Salary Low for Mass?
You would do better to look either North or West of Ayer. Anything East of Ayer is going to get pricey. Try Townsend and Pepperell which meet your criteria and prices are lower.

You are lucky that right now prices have hit an all time (hopefully!) low and you can probably pick up a decent home out that way for less than $300,000 and likely even less than $200,000. (and I second the suggestion to stay clear of Fitchburg...)

Last edited by Concepts; 03-17-2009 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: added on

Old 03-17-2009, 02:13 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
LIttleton, all the way. Very family friendly, small town environment, good schools, lots of conservation land for hiking. Older houses are very affordable. No subdivisions (the town is too small for that) and a five-mile drive, at most, to Ayer. I absolutely ask that you consider Littleton for every reason.
(I do live here, no kids. Love the lakes, conservation land and my one-person house with dogs.
Littleton started the "Appleman Triathalon" which has become quite a big deal. It's a mini-triathalong- I think that's half-mile swim in the local lake (Long Lake, my preferred neighborhood), three-mile run, ten-mile bike. It's been going for about five years and is getting very good press. I think the Rotary Club started it.
Houses here are holding their value (not a boom/bust) because it's a desirable town without being in the snooty range (or very expensive range). Check realtor. com if you want to be convinced.
Best wishes on your move.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times
I AM A SINGLE MOTHER OF 4 AN I AM AFRICAN AMERICAN I WANT TO MOvE TO PEABODY MA. is that a good place for us to move to

Old 09-12-2010, 09:54 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono24kids View Post
I AM A SINGLE MOTHER OF 4 AN I AM AFRICAN AMERICAN I WANT TO MOvE TO PEABODY MA. is that a good place for us to move to
Peobody should be fine, but some of surrounding towns are nicer. Any reason for Peabody in particular?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts