Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:41 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

I think rents would be similar to the Portland area. A bit more expensive than Biddeford though. The thing to be careful of though is neighborhoods. If you're not considering the dorms (and for your first two years of college, you really should), the prices will be cheaper in the tougher neighborhoods. I'd post here if you're apartment hunting and come across what you feel is a good deal, as it may be somewhere where you don't want to live.

Westfield has some nice apartment complexes with good access to the school and highways... check there. Even Westfield has a cool downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 06:53 PM

176 posts, read 598,271 times
Something that I'm trying to figure out is that I'm planning on either going to college in Syracuse or Westfield. I hope to be in or close to a decent sized city, so both of the colleges work out. I'm just wondering which one would have more to do. I think as a whole I like Syracuse more, but I'm not sure yet.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Unless the decision is financial, Syracuse is hands down the better school. I have a friend who is attendng grad school there and described it as the, "hellish frozen tundra from my nightmares" but she is a Literature student with a background in acting so that response is laced with dramatics. I've only been to 'Cuse once but I liked it. In fact, it had a lot in common with Worcester or Springfield. Westfield may be closer and more affordable, but Syracuse is by FAR the better school. If your decision is based on things to do, I'd say the amount of entertainment is similar enough in both places. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with Syracuse. As I mentioned, it's a great school but you have the added value of it being a major athletic an research school which is nice to be a part of.

Did you ever consider school in Providence? It's similarly sized to both Springfield and Syracuse an offers a lot more to do than both as well as plenty of choices for schools (JWU, PC, Brown, URI- Prov. Campus, etc.).

Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
Cool Amherst

I meant Amherst sorry

I thought Holyoke had a campus there?

-jeff--

Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
Cool Go Orange

My mother graduated from Syracuse and now is working as a teacher for over 30 years
in metro Boston

Syracuse is a great area of NY in the finger lakes
:-)

Hope you like snow tho :-)

--Jeff--
Winchester, MA

Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 PM

176 posts, read 598,271 times
I have thought about Providence. I love Providence. But my search has only just begun so I haven't looked at colleges in depth there yet.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 46,863 times
wetfield ok not much to hould be affordable .
Norhtampton pricy to live good restuarants .
Springfield affordable but can be rough pending on the Area some pots In Spfld ok ..
Chicopee more quite Affordable within range convenient too..

Old 05-07-2009, 04:18 PM

40 posts, read 166,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforahome View Post
Hey all, I'm considering attending Westfield State University, and was wondering what there is to do in the surrounding area. Espieically Springfield, since I love cities. I've heard some horror stories from people on here, and others say its not too bad. I went once awhile ago, but I don't remember it. Is there much to do downtown? Is it even safe to do stuff downtown?

Thanks!

Well, congrats on your acceptance to Westfield State. It happens to be a small school, but a really good education. If your entering as a freshman than you will fall in love with the area in no time. I'm actually entering my freshman year in the fall at UMass, but I have a lot fo friends that are currently attending or will be attending Westfield State.

There is plenty of stuff to do in the region. Almost every city here has a major shopping corridor. Chicopee (Memorial Drive), West Springfield (Riverdale Road), Westfield, Holyoke (Holyoke Mall), Amherst downtown, Northampton (downtown/ King Street), Springfield (Boston Road and somewhat downtown), Enfield, CT (major shopping area).

Springfield is the only city type area we have to be claimed a city with skyscrapers, etc..... It's not as important as everyone claims it to be. Shopping in dowtown Springfield is limited. However, there is some stuff to do down there. As for safety, it's a yes and a no. At times, it's relatively safe, but it still is a very unsafe area to be. However the crime you hear about is mostly gang and drug related.

But, there is still a lot of good things about downtown Springfield. The skyline is still nice. The downtown area has a lot of potential, but the bad publicity has made it even worse. From a planning perspective, downtown Springfield is on the riverfront (CT River), its not like a Chicago or Boston type city. I think thats one of the reasons why it has potential is the fact that its small yet dense.

If you like urban areas be sure to stop by in neighboring Holyoke and Chicopee. Chicopee is one of the more successfull cities in terms of community etc.... Not a typical old- factory town. Most of the mills have been torn down, but there's still a lot of potential. At night Chicopee is one of the safest areas to be. Rarely do you ever hear about a crime in Chicopee no matter what time of day.

Holyoke is basically a city within a city. You have the downtown and than the suburbs. The suburbs are the more idealistic places to be (liek Holyoke Mall). But, from a viewpoint downtown Holyoke is very attractive. Yeah, it may not be the most beautifull places to be in, but the view is amazing. The architecture is terrific. The city hall was actually saved in the 70's from being torn down. It's one of the most architecturaly known municipal governments home. The crime rate has significantly dropped. The reason why Holyoke has a bad publicity is because the are is mostly abandon. Most of the mills are either in disrepair or are barely being upkeeped. I actually find it safer to shop in downtown Holyoke than Springfield. To get the most out of the visit go during the day. Another interesting fact of Holyoke was that it was actually the leading manufacturing center in the region and nation. It was the first planned industrial city; featuring three large canals, an impressive dam, (and yet not presently, in the past it was the home of more millionaires than anywhere in the nation.) One of the leading maufacturer's wife claimed that "there is only three destinations in the world: NYC, Paris, and Hoyloke." Holyoke has so much potential. Be sure to stop in and get a tour of the Wistariahurst Museum (home of the Skinners, also the wife said the quote above.) Here's the website: www.wistariahurst.org/

Another area of imporatance would be Northampton. It's not an urban area liek Springfield, but it does have street lined buildings with sidewalks. Non-stop activity from w/e time. Always something to do. Entertainment, shopping, dinning, etc....

Westfield State is basically right near downtown Westfield. There's been a lot of activity in terms of revitalization. Actually, right across the campus is Stanley Park. That's one of the greatest parks in the area. There's a duck pond, gardens, fields, etc...

If you are an outdoors type of person liek me, you will never be bored. We have a lot of state parks and local/regional parks. There's plenty of bike trails. Hiking is not limited. The seven sisters (a group of mountains) offers endless fun. Mt. Tom in Holyoke is probably one of the most important mountains here in the valley. The views are breath taking. Mt. Holyoke (Skinner Mountain) has a summit house on-top of the peak. It offers another great view of anywhere. Both Mt. Holyoke and Mt. Tom have amazing views. You can see UMass and all the way down to Hartford, CT.

In Agawam, you have Sic Flags New England. Amazing in terms of amusement park. There's also plenty of museums and other local attractions.

The best bet to know more abotu the area would be getting yourself a guide. Search Pioneer Valley Tourism, I actually think it would be under as Greater Springfield Visitors Bureau.

Overall, there is so MUCH to do here, that even that magazine doesn't cover everything. No matter if your here as a college student or family oriented. I've lived here my whole life and I find that you gotta live here to know where everything is. That still is barely enough, everyday I always find out something new or a hidden place to visit.

Well, hopefully I provided some light on the region. If anymore questions ask away. Good Luck at WSC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts