U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:14 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,938,835 times

Advertisements

The proposed project is not going to be run under the MBTA( thank god),but a joint effort with CT. There are already plans in place and right of way issues being worked out with Amtrak. If we here in Wmass didn't have to rely on the bureaucratic nightmare that is capitol hill , our region might actually make some headway with reviving our sorely neglected cities and towns.It is the attitudes that are displayed on this and other boards as well as in the "real" world that make me mad.COME ON PEOPLE THERE IS MORE TO THIS STATE THAN THE BOSTON AREA. The earth sun and moon does not revolve around boston.

enough ranting but i just gt annoyed.

oh and the federal funding will be there,just when is the question
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 PM

3,605 posts, read 4,987,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
The proposed project is not going to be run under the MBTA( thank god),but a joint effort with CT. There are already plans in place and right of way issues being worked out with Amtrak. If we here in Wmass didn't have to rely on the bureaucratic nightmare that is capitol hill , our region might actually make some headway with reviving our sorely neglected cities and towns.It is the attitudes that are displayed on this and other boards as well as in the "real" world that make me mad.COME ON PEOPLE THERE IS MORE TO THIS STATE THAN THE BOSTON AREA. The earth sun and moon does not revolve around boston.

enough ranting but i just gt annoyed.

oh and the federal funding will be there,just when is the question
Would you ever propose that Hampden, Hampshire, Berkshire, and Franklin Counties become part of Connecticut instead?

I sincerely think that there are deeper reasons for Beacon Hill politicians to favor Eastern Mass over Western Mass, not the least of which is that we simply have more people over here. True enough, the Springfield Area is neglected to some extent but simply said, there just aren't enough people over there to convince Beacon Hill that the area needs more attention. I would surely not want the PVTA to suffer service cuts either but there needs to be a true interest in investing in that area for real change to happen.

I personally like visiting Western MA but I would prefer not to live there because the area isn't as diverse as I want it to be, it gets hit harder by intense heat and thunderstorms in the summer, its pollen count is higher in the spring, and there is no seashore. I think people who do research on moving to MA find out the same things. I would prefer not to live in Albany, NY for the same reasons either.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:01 AM

no i would not propose that the 4 counties of western mass be a part of CT.that is just nonsense.I often wonder why the people of this state seem to think that western mass is some foreign entity attatched to bostons ass. The fact that there is more people in the eastern half of the state is one good reason why more money should be spent elsewhere,more people more revenue for the cities and towns in which the people live. and just some food for thought,western mass has more people residing in it than some states total populations.for instance the state of wyoming has just a little over 500,000 residents, north dakota has roughly 650,000 residents.so by your method of politics the federal government should just ignore them because there are not that many people living there.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:38 AM

4,763 posts, read 6,274,688 times
It seems like the short answer is 2019-2020 (New Haven–Hartford–Springfield Commuter Rail Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), at least for a link between Springfield and Hartford. Beyond that, though, it's not entirely clear how much demand there will be for extending this line further in to the Pioneer Valley.

Quote:
no i would not propose that the 4 counties of western mass be a part of CT.that is just nonsense.I often wonder why the people of this state seem to think that western mass is some foreign entity attatched to bostons ass. The fact that there is more people in the eastern half of the state is one good reason why more money should be spent elsewhere,more people more revenue for the cities and towns in which the people live. and just some food for thought,western mass has more people residing in it than some states total populations.for instance the state of wyoming has just a little over 500,000 residents, north dakota has roughly 650,000 residents.so by your method of politics the federal government should just ignore them because there are not that many people living there.
I don't think anyone is saying that we should ignore Western Mass., just that it might not be a big enough population to support commuter rail in today's transportation environement. Last I checked, there aren't any plans to have commuter rail in North or South Dakota, either, so the logic isn't entirely flawed. If you look at the list of metropoliation areas with commuter rail service (Commuter rail in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) you'll see that only large MSAs or small MSAs near gigantic CMSAs (with the exception of Albuquerque) have commuter rail service. I think there is a critical mass of density and of centralized commuting patterns necessary for commuter rail to be successfull. I'd guess that, just based on the relative sizes alone (Boston MSA = 4.5M, Springfield MSA = 680k, taken from Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) that the Pioneer Valley just isn't big enough. Perhaps with a changing tranpsortation climate that critical mass will become smaller than what is present in Western Mass. (the Pioneer Valley, at least) and perhaps at that time the question can be revisited. I think now is probably the time to start gathering support, though.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:18 PM

The commuter rail project i am talking about is a joint venture with CT.in the Springfield and Hartford area there is roughly 2.2 million residents. a lot of people including myself either live in Springfield and work in Hartford or vice versa. the area is also called the education corrider due to it's high concentration of colleges and universities. In my opinion and the opinion of many others there is a demand and a need for an alternative form of transportation other than cars and the utterly unreliable bus services of both areas.

but i should probably shut off my computer and hide under a table now, i might get caught up in one of those severe thunderstorms we get all the way out here in springfield,and the high pollen count is making it hard to see anything more than 2 feet away. Also the sweat that is pouring off of me from this sahara like heat we get out here is making it increasingly difficult to type. i wish i still lived in brookline where the weather is just perfect(you know the low pollen count,very light thunderstorms,very little heat,as compared to the intense heat we get all the way over here in western mass. also don't forget the 80-90 inches of snow we get every winter because you know being 80 miles from boston,the weather patterns are almost like that of the upper michigan penninsula,also don't forget the lake effect snow we get from lake erie,it's just brutal.)

sorry couldn't help my self.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 PM

746 posts, read 3,401,062 times
Um, there is the Massachusetts Democratic Party gathering in Springfield this weekend with thousands of delegates attending from all over the state. So I guess they are not that Boston centric. I participated in the State Platform Hearings that were held in most city and towns, and I can vouch for the fact that we in North Adams spent more time on transportation - primarily rail - than any other topic. It is in the party platform, though like you I would like to see more attention paid to it.

In our little city we have identified the many people who are concerned about mass transportation in general, and would support any form of increased services that are going to be well used, including the corridor between Springfield and Hartford, which you are excited about because it would directly benefit you.

But e pluribis unum and all that, you won't get far in the political process the way you are going about it. You are working with other voters and organizations in Springfield, right? You are active supporting politicians who support this idea, right? You are talking to your friends and neighbors in an organized strategy to raise awareness and support, right?

I just hope you are not simply posting these items to forums like this in the hope that this will somehow help. It won't. You need collaborative, coordinated efforts that occur over a long period to affect public policy.

Good luck. We'll be supporting the general idea of increased transportation in the northwest corner of the state, too.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:09 PM

i know that a post on this forum has little or no merit what so ever,and i am active in my community about this and other issues as well.i have attended meetings with out state reps and senators and also have done a lot of grunt work,door to door with petitions,handing out flyers talking to friends neighbors and pretty much anyone who will listen. i think i use these boards more as a tool to feel out the general interest of certain topics and try to get a feel for how people will rspond.
and yes i do sometimes get a little testy and respond to things not like i normally would,but it is the internet.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:13 PM

68 posts, read 176,416 times
Quote:
i know that a post on this forum has little or no merit what so ever,and i am active in my community about this and other issues as well.i have attended meetings with out state reps and senators and also have done a lot of grunt work,door to door with petitions,handing out flyers talking to friends neighbors and pretty much anyone who will listen. i think i use these boards more as a tool to feel out the general interest of certain topics and try to get a feel for how people will rspond.
and yes i do sometimes get a little testy and respond to things not like i normally would,but it is the internet.

Been a lurker here on this board for awhile - I am SO glad you are active in your community!! I want to tell you - I live in the Boston area - and look forward to reading your posts! (I love Western Mass, too!)

I do have a connection with the Western Mass area - lived in Turners Falls for a few years, until I was ten years old. (That was a LONG time ago - I'm a grandma, now...) Having left Massachusetts for a couple of years, I came back realizing I love all of this state, and intend to live here the rest of my life. I've considered moving back there a few times, and if there was actually some decent public transportation, it would make it all the more feasible...

Western Mass is ignored - no doubt about it in my mind. But after this last national election, I believe that through grassroots efforts, anything can change. Keep working on the grassroots level - and don't forget broken promises. I remember the promises Deval Patrick made (that he wouldn't forget Central and Western Mass) during his campaign, which he hasn't kept. Never forget the power of the vote!

Old 03-21-2010, 06:15 PM

34 posts, read 167,758 times
You guys are ignored. I live near Boston, and there are so many towns I've never heard of. However, once you get a train, the rents will skyrocket. When the commuter rail went through Brockton, the landlords jacked up the rent on all those ugly, falling down 3 deckers. People who work in Boston could ride the train home, like Bridgewater, etc. The rents were cheaper there, because people wanted to live closer to the Boston area where they worked. Once the train showed up, tons of people moved for cheaper rent, and that went sky high. It's so hard to get the right balance. You need more stores and things to do, but once you get 1 Mickey D's, all of a sudden, people are ripping out forests to add strip malls. It sucks the way things are either way over or under developed.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:29 AM

2,416 posts, read 4,463,413 times
Who says Western Mass is ignored? It's easy to feel neglected and dissed and blah blah blah but where's the evidence? Where's the analysis? western mass writes as though this is common knowledge, whereas it is a contention so far without any basis in evidence. Has the state not invested in Western Mass in proportion to its population? Show us the numbers, please. The west has had its share of influential politicians, including David Bartley (Speaker of the House) and Gov. Swift. Gov Patrick has a second home in Mt Washington. That's not evidence of anything, either, but haven't they brought home their share of bacon over the years? If you're blaming state government for the relatively weaker economy in Western Mass and greater Springfield in particular, I would argue that local economies are mostly beyond the power of state government to influence. New York hasn't had any more luck reviving its vast upstate territories despite the prosperity of the NYC area. The Boston area has done well over the past 30-40 years because of its concentrated advantages--among them educational institutions, health care industry, finance, and venture capital. State govt has done its part to invest in infrastructure, like the MBTA expansions, Big Dig, harbor cleanup; but those aren't the engine of the economy, they've just helped to secure it.

I would agree that Western MA is off the radar of many Eastern Mass residents but that doesn't mean it's ignored in the State House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts