U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:35 PM

2,348 posts, read 2,681,457 times

Advertisements

As has been mentioned, the Picknelly's own half of Springfield (the other half is owned by MassMutual. So as long as they hold an ounce of power, Springfield will probaly never see commuter rail service. This is also partly why the New Haven-Springfield line stalled. The money is there, I believe. But Peter Pan was afraid it would lose its regional transportion monopoly. Of course it would, trains, are far better to travel by-more direct, more efficent, and convenient. Maybe Peter Pan should diversify into a transportation company, like railroads did at the turn on the 20th century.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,188,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Well New York State is vast compared to Massachusetts.
Shouldn't the wealth of Boston at least trickle to the Springfield area? Springfield and Boston have always been the two centers of population for the Commonwealth, and for 390 years they have always been at odds. I don't want to rely on historic precedent, but I will. Shay's Rebellion, The creation of Quabbin Resevoir and the diversion of funds to offset the cost of the Big Dig, are a few examples. Why should the state incur the cost of that, it's entirely located within the city of Boston.

Springfield is a city on the scale of Hartford and Providence and yet lags far far behind them in terms of economic activity. This is a state run by people from inner Boston. The Speaker of the House, the President of the Senate?

What does it say when the majority of people in eastern Mass couldn't point to Springfield on a map?
Springfield is in a terrible state (no pun intended). Isn't it still in receivership? And the politics....hmmnnn. And the concentrated poverty, welfare, and social problems. It was once a magnificent city, now ignored. A rail system so that residents could commute to Boston is needed, but then those folks will be taking Boston jobs. There are a LOT of super educated people in the Five College area of Western Mass. A lot of academia, and small college towns that resist business.A rail system would bring WMass into the 21st C.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Springfield is in a terrible state (no pun intended). Isn't it still in receivership? And the politics....hmmnnn. And the concentrated poverty, welfare, and social problems. It was once a magnificent city, now ignored. A rail system so that residents could commute to Boston is needed, but then those folks will be taking Boston jobs. There are a LOT of super educated people in the Five College area of Western Mass. A lot of academia, and small college towns that resist business.A rail system would bring WMass into the 21st C.
No it's not in recievership anymore...they managed to get outta that mess.

It was once on of the most important cities in the nation...a walk aroud downtown would show you that.

I wholehearteddy believe a cohesive state will rival some of the largest metros in the country.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:31 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,852,217 times
With the NE Corridor closed due to the flooding of trackage in Rhode Island, Amtrak has rerouted NE Regional service thru Springfield-Worcester. Don't know how many extra trains are added. Wonder if there is any extra usage between Springfield and Boston?

Old 04-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
With the NE Corridor closed due to the flooding of trackage in Rhode Island, Amtrak has rerouted NE Regional service thru Springfield-Worcester. Don't know how many extra trains are added. Wonder if there is any extra usage between Springfield and Boston?
I believe that will be the future train service. The governor proposed that some trains between NYC and Boston will follow that route. So it'll be interesting to find out how it worked.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:14 PM

12,380 posts, read 25,824,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I believe that will be the future train service. The governor proposed that some trains between NYC and Boston will follow that route. So it'll be interesting to find out how it worked.
That's because the Northeast Corridor is at capacity. So Western Mass and the I-91 Corridor should see an Electrified Corridor before 2025 at the most. Also I-90 & I-91 are reaching capacity so a Rail line would make sense. All in All Western Mass will one day have the same amount as Rail as Eastern Mass. Does Springfield have any plans for a Light Rail or Streetcar line?

Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 PM

6 posts, read 22,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
we have Amtrak service with daily runs to Boston.the station is located right on Lyman street. I am really hoping that if this crazy gas tax passes that MR Patrick will follow through on his word to bring commuter rail to this region.we have been ignored for far to long.

about 5 years ago i took amtrak service from boston to springfield, the station was not really a station no office or seating i saw.. i didnt even think i was in springfield, lol..

once i got off the train took some stairs down to the street and walk over to main street, then i knew i had arrived

plus i had to go theough new-haven CT, and then back to sprinfield, something weird like that.

i wish there was service from either north or south station on commuter rail, i might consider moving back

Old 04-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That's because the Northeast Corridor is at capacity. So Western Mass and the I-91 Corridor should see an Electrified Corridor before 2025 at the most. Also I-90 & I-91 are reaching capacity so a Rail line would make sense. All in All Western Mass will one day have the same amount as Rail as Eastern Mass. Does Springfield have any plans for a Light Rail or Streetcar line?
No. is the short answer. I mean I haven't heard anything of it. We have a fantastic bus system, the PVTA. I believe it's one of the largest and most comprehensive in the region-it serves all urban and suburban communities. About 500,000 people, it connects with routes: Northampton-Amherst-Chicopee-Holyoke-Springfield-Easthampton-Westfield.

The urbanized area of Springfield is about 580,000 people. So, it's not too large, Hartford is about 800,000 people, Providence is about 1,000,000 and of course Boston is 4,500,000.

Springfield Metro (MSA) is only 690,000 people. When combined with Hartford the CSA (which doens't exist, but should) is about 2,100,000 people.

Now with all that, Springfield through the 1950's had an amazing street car system. And my grandparents remember it fondly. Every week they would take the street car from Holyoke (where they grew up) across the river to Chicopee down to Springfield about 10 mins away to go shopping or take in a play or movie. Total cost of a trip was 5cents.

Massachusetts Interurbans and Streetcars

Here's the list of street car systems that served Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts