Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2007, 10:35 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,160,257 times

Advertisements

I know I am asking questions that have been asked before, but my head is swimming with information and I need to review my choices with you guys. My son is very interested in going to Westford Academy and living in Westford without us ever visiting there except on the way to snowboard. How does Westford compare as a livable city to Acton or Reading. We are looking for convenience of shopping and commute to Boston along with affordability that Newton does not offer. Would like a town center to walk around and do basic shopping if possible and don't care for a snotty feel especially by the local kids. When I read what the kids have to say on Urbandictionary, it makes me want to home school! Thanks....we have four months to make up our minds and may not be able to visit first!

Last edited by puffle; 03-30-2007 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: grammatical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 10:55 AM

9,914 posts, read 15,477,259 times
Westford has a town website www.westford.com. It looks like they have forums so you could probably get some good information there. I know someone who used to work in Westford and she drove around the town a lot and said it was lovely. I got the impression that it was rather rural. I know they have a ski resort.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:22 PM

143 posts, read 483,483 times
Hi, Puffle. Steve again.

Westford is not considered very affordable. I think the average house price is still over $450k even after the market corrected itself.

It is a nice town and there was a lot to like about it. There is really no shopping in the town centre but there are strip malls along Rte 110, next to 495. Better yet is tax-free shopping only 6 miles away in Nashua, NH -- including a snowboard place if memory serves that was right on the DW Highway!

There's really no problem with kids from "outside" as the town is pretty much full of folks from everywhere anyway (the REAL locals call them "Blow-ins").

Westford is no longer really "rural" except by definition by folks who grew up in cities. The population has been over 20000 for some time. There are some things that are "different" about Westford - such as no town sewer - that may put some off. It is being developed at a fast rate FOR THE AREA and the growth is considered to be a problem rather than an opportunity due to a lot of the various regulations and such in the state.

If I was you, I would go to City-data's statistical pages and do work-ups of target towns to see how you match up against the demographics. Pay attention to the average income for each community. We were considered upper-middle-class by national standards but we were below the average in Westford and that meant that we were always struggling with affordability issues (such as property taxes - which are high).

I wish you the best of luck with choosing a new place! We have found (even though we were MA natives) that we are very happy with our decision to move to NC. I worry less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts