Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 02:08 PM

155 posts, read 818,430 times

Advertisements

Hello anyone know any info on Dedham, westwood area - looking to relocate - but heard it may too expensive - a bit snobbish in this area - looking in the south from Boston area - family area - NE life
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 02:27 PM

124 posts, read 901,547 times
I've never found any area particularly snobby, and I've lived many places in Mass. (And I've lived in them on the lower side of middle income...) The very wealthy areas will probably have pockets of snobbishness, as anywhere, but the area you're looking at won't be a problem.

Dedham and Westwood are actually quite different towns.

By Mass. standards, Dedham is not very expensive. Schools are ok, not great. It's safe. It isn't exactly a pretty or scenic place, though -- Route 1 crosses right through it (a very big, very commercial highway; and not with nice stores, but auto dealerships and that type of thing).

Westwood is a more residential, quiet, town, with more of a New England feel, but it does have a price tag attached -- still, it isn't among the most expensive in the state; I don't know if you're renting or buying, or what your price range is, but unless it's very low, Westwood is worth looking at.

Canton is a nice town in that same area, and is a family-oriented town as well. It is less commercial than Dedham, while still being relatively less expensive -- less than Westwood.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:56 PM

9,807 posts, read 15,391,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deem View Post
Hello anyone know any info on Dedham, westwood area - looking to relocate - but heard it may too expensive - a bit snobbish in this area - looking in the south from Boston area - family area - NE life
thanks
Westwood can be a bit snotty, not too bad, but still it is there. Dedham has everything from lovely older estates to crappy run down areas. Another place to consider is Walpole, which has some nice areas and is next to Westwood. Or, if you don't mind a little further away, Norfolk or Wrentham which are both very family oriented towns.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 PM

833 posts, read 454,375 times
Dedham is very differen, poor and rich areas, schools are very average.

Westwood is MUCH better. Another alternative is Canton.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 15,235 times

. . . And the Dedham schools will remain no more than average, because the town's oldest, most influential families always send their children to Dedham Country Day, 'til it's time to prep at Noble's or, perhaps, at Roxbury Latin (in nearby West Roxbury), . . . unless, of course, they, instead, then pack them off to boarding school.

In any event, as regards public education, Dedham's middle-class and underclass are strictly on their own.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 43,717 times
Default Arab Community?

Can anyone tell me if there is an Arabic community in Dedham and anything about it. Thanks

Old 08-23-2007, 09:45 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,723,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcool View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is an Arabic community in Dedham and anything about it. Thanks
If you're Arabic, you DON'T want to live in Dedham. Just trust me on this one ... I don't want to go into it on a public forum.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:10 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,051,690 times
It's amazing that two towns separated by just one roadway (128) can be so different.

Westwood: Quiet, clean, safe, good schools
Dedham: Not.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:08 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,353,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
It's amazing that two towns separated by just one roadway (128) can be so different.

Westwood: Quiet, clean, safe, good schools
Dedham: Not.
I lived in Dedham for two years near Dedham center. it was nothing to write home about, although I do recall some nice homes in the area. I used to visit friends in Westwood, which seemed like a much cleaner town. Gosh, suddenly it feels like so long ago. Time flies...

greenie

Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 AM

142 posts, read 657,255 times
Lived in the area for years. Not sure what you are looking for in particular, but the previous posts are accurate. Money typically rules on where you live. Dedham has homes that are very expensive down to some of the most affordable for a middle class suburb near Boston. A high percentage of people send their kids to private schools - about 15-20%. It has a higher percentage of commercial property, and a larger commercial tax base than a lot of the surrounding towns. A town similar to Dedham nearby is Norwood.

Westwood has one of the best school systems in the state, and is a great place to raise a family. But the median housing price is very high, and the town has passed tax overrides recently to help maintain high quality schools. Towns like Needham next door are similar in demographics to Westwood.

Some of the other towns nearby are desirable: Canton, Foxboro, etc. Sometimes you can get a better deal on housing costs in exchange for a longer commute to Boston.

If you are serious about setting roots in the area, keep a close eye on new development. Westwood is in the process of evaluating a permit for a very large 'lifestyle center' development called Westwood Station. A 'lifestyle center' typically combines housing, offices and retail in one location. It will be the largest commercial property parcel in the town's history, and clearly help relieve the tax burden. It should be noted that Dedham has grappling with a similar proposal called Legacy Place. Dedham's proposal has no housing in it, mostly shopping and a move theater. Dedham's is much smaller, but both complexes, if approved, will be only a couple of miles away from each other. There is a lot of talk about how to handle the traffic, as residential areas will be affected. You'll find Homepage - Norwood, MA - The Daily News Transcript is a good source for information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts