Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,382 times

Advertisements

Two students from Lowell have tested positive for swine flu -- the first confirmed cases in New England, public health officials confirmed today.

Lowell children test positive for swine flu - White Coat Notes - Boston.com

Please remember to use sanity. Those at most risk for fatal outcomes are the very young, very old, infirm, and those with compromised immune systems. Other populations of people have excellent recovery rates. There is absolutely no reason to run off and kill any pig you see.

Don't forget HYGEINE. Carry hand sanitizer. WASH your hands with warm soap and water for at least a minute, don't forget your nails! Cough into your elbow.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:57 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AandD View Post
Two students from Lowell have tested positive for swine flu -- the first confirmed cases in New England, public health officials confirmed today.

Lowell children test positive for swine flu - White Coat Notes - Boston.com

Please remember to use sanity. Those at most risk for fatal outcomes are the very young, very old, infirm, and those with compromised immune systems. Other populations of people have excellent recovery rates. There is absolutely no reason to run off and kill any pig you see.

Don't forget HYGEINE. Carry hand sanitizer. WASH your hands with warm soap and water for at least a minute, don't forget your nails! Cough into your elbow.
Thanks for posting this.

I think we're all a bit over the top in reacting (I just received a call from my sister who is vacationing happily in Cozumel Mexico) and blowing it out of proportion. It's dangerous to certain at risk groups and caution is certainly important. It's sad to think about those who are dying.

Good luck, everyone... use some precautions and we should all be just fine!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
I don't know where you got your information for "at risk" populations but everything I've read says the target is age 20-40 for death.

"A: In Mexico, the virus appears to be targeting those aged 20 to 40. This is not unusual – the same occurred during the worst pandemic of the last century, in 1918, when 20 to 40 million people died. Young healthy people with strong immune systems react most powerfully to the virus but the very strength of their reaction produces inflammation and secretions in the lungs which can be overwhelming. In the US, the virus appears to be targeting children who are suffering only mild illness. The difference in the two countries is so far unexplained. One hypothesis is that a second virus may be circulating in Mexico which is interacting with the swine flu virus to produce more severe symptoms."

Old 04-29-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I don't know where you got your information for "at risk" populations but everything I've read says the target is age 20-40 for death.
Daily briefings connected with agencies following the outbreak.

But mostly I just used common sense and historical data on flu outbreaks. Let's put this in perspective: An average of 36,000 people die every year from flu complications. EVERY YEAR. From one release: "Flu-related complications can occur at any age; however, the elderly and people with chronic health problems are much more likely to develop serious complications after influenza infection than are younger, healthier people."

of course, it's possible that the general media isn't really sensationalizing this, and that they've done extensive data analysis on ratios of age groups affected versus mortality rates within those age groups. I hadn't even remotely considered that as a possibility since the chance of it happening is well, nil... but stranger things have happened.

Take whatever precautions you feel pertinent to your life. But there's really no need to buy into media hysteria.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:29 PM

176 posts, read 598,197 times
To add to the list of outbreaks in New England, there are three confirmed cases of H1N1 in Maine now, and a few others being tested last I heard.

I'm not sure what I think about it though. It seems to me like just another flu that can be treated if its caught in time. Like AandD said:
Quote:
But there's really no need to buy into media hysteria.
At the same time though, I feel like the WHO knows more about diseases than I do, and they seem to think there is very serious cause for concern as they just raised the alert level from level 4 (out of six) to level 5.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:47 PM

oh yes - there is cause for concern... there are SO many areas where the public health infrastructure is minimal at best, where simple hygiene is nearly impossible, where access and quality of medical treatment is non-existent... It is areas like that which keep the bug moving and mutating.

I have a child with a compromised immune system. I am definitely taking all the precautions I can, minimizing contact with unknowns when possible, and looking for symptoms for illness. BUT - I do that ALL THE TIME, because I know I have a child with increased susceptibility to bugs. I'm just more aware now.

*Sigh*. I was just reminding people to be a little extra careful, with the caveat that the media may, surprisingly, be blowing this out of proportion.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 PM

176 posts, read 598,197 times
I agree. I've been washing my hands more, staying away from those that are sick. 3 confirmed cases here in Maine now, and 2 schools are closed along with a few dozen more tests being done on people with flu-like symptoms. Maybe I'll buy me a few of those masks too

Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Guys, I've added a temporary sticky thread to the forum for all comments about the flu. I anticipate lots of new posts about this and I think it would be best to keep them all in one place. Thanks for your
help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts