U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 05:08 PM

9 posts, read 19,217 times

Advertisements

Do I have the right to choose which elementary school my second grader will go to next year? My daughter attending Governer Winslow for two years. I loved it and she did as well. I moved and now she attends Martinson and I am completely unhappy. Do I have legal right to switch her back? There are 5 elementary schools in Marshfield.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 09:14 PM

9 posts, read 19,217 times
just to be clear, both elementary schools are in Marshfield. I moved to a different district?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:38 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,214,353 times
To be honest. I don't know. But I think you could probably work something out with the schools where you child could go to the school of you choice. But you would probably be forced to transport your child there.

Actually. I wonder why you couldn't just switch schools. Considering that folk put there kids into private schools/home schooling is really (in my mind) the same in principle. You don't like a particular school you take them out and put them in an alternative place of education.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:32 AM

74 posts, read 274,233 times
Legally, if the school your child attends does not make AYP for 2 years, you can move your child. If the school is performing, it is up to the discretion of the principal, superintendent and/or school board.
Good luck.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:02 AM

368 posts, read 1,325,783 times
ugh. I don't have an answer, but I'd just like to commiserate with you.

This is my issue as well - only I'm having a hell of a time finding a rental home that is still in the elementary school that my kids currently attend. In my small town there are 3 elementary schools. All of which are GREAT schools, really. The problem is - we've just relocated from Texas and my sons are FINALLY starting to make some friends. moving them to a different school now would be SO damaging to their self confidence - being the "new" kid sucks.

So my first question on any house I look at is "what elementary do you feed into"?

Some ideas: I'm not sure if there is a rule that allows you to stay in the same school if you move within a city/town. It would be worth it to ask. You could also look into a 504 if your child has a medical diagnosis or learning difficulties, or you can show a documented regression in learning, which would allow you school choice if you wrote it in the plan. If your child is on an IEP you can request a school placement. You may run into more resistance since you moved your child OUT of the preferred school - it might have been easier to get them to keep the student rather than re-admit.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:36 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,200,840 times
Sometimes schools systems allow you to stay in your current school if you move to a different district in town.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:28 PM

122 posts, read 297,789 times
Yes, it depends on several things. If your child(ren) are high performers, schools love them and want to keep them, whether they're "in district" or not, and won't fight it. Also, attendance is a huge thing. Is your child absent or tardy often? If so, schools will shy away ~ it messes up their attendance record percentages and also shows less than great parent support. Also, behavior plays a role. Do your kids cause problems? If not, it is in your favor. A school can keep a student if the school wants to, even out-of-area. They can also say no if it's not to their advantage. If a school is under-enrolled, that helps your case as well. The more students a school has, the more teachers they can keep (or hire) so schools are happy to have out-of-area students who are smart, well behaved, have good attendance and have parents who are active in PTA and other school activities. If your child gets to stay in the school you want, even though you are out-of-area, make sure you make yourself known - be a "room mom", run for a PTA office, work your butt off with fundraising, etc. That's how you become valuable to the school. I've been teaching for 21 years, and I know this to be true.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:12 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,200,840 times
The OP should call the Marshfield superintendent's office and find out what the policy is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts