Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,940 times

Advertisements

My family and I are in the market for a 3 bedroom apartment, and made an appointment to view one. Due to circumstances at work, we were unable to make the appointment. The next morning, I emailed the broker to state my regrets. He emailed back that he would be charging myself and my sister a $50 missed appointment fee, and if we did not remit payment in a weeks time, that he would be taking us to small claims court. Is this Legal??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 04:44 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlipp View Post
My family and I are in the market for a 3 bedroom apartment, and made an appointment to view one. Due to circumstances at work, we were unable to make the appointment. The next morning, I emailed the broker to state my regrets. He emailed back that he would be charging myself and my sister a $50 missed appointment fee, and if we did not remit payment in a weeks time, that he would be taking us to small claims court. Is this Legal??
that sounds fishy to me. I've heard of submitting a deposit or application fee, but usually the fee is returned back to you if you don't rent the apartment

Old 05-18-2009, 04:51 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,765 times
I think the guy is full of it. Did you sign a contract? I don't see what his claim in smalls claims court would be. I would contact the broker owner of the company and don't pay the fee.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:03 PM

967 posts, read 4,786,120 times
I'm sorry to hear you had such a rotten experience. That's completely ridiculous of the agent. Everyone misses appointments from time to time and if you call someone ahead of time to say you can't make it, that's that. It's happened to everyone. I'd ditch the agent and file a complaint with either the broker he works for or the Mass real estate board.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 PM

454 posts, read 796,038 times
Did he have you sign an agreement stating that missed appts. are subject to a fee? If not, idsuggest he place his thumbs somewhere warm

Old 05-18-2009, 06:47 PM

967 posts, read 4,786,120 times
I do agree that he has no right to ask for money for a missed appointment. However, it doesn't sound like you notified him until the next morning that you weren't going to make it, which is pretty inconsiderate. (If I misunderstood that I apologize). In either case, the guy isn't owed money unless you signed some sort of agreement to that effect.

Last edited by scarletfire; 05-18-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 06:24 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,479 times
You are inconsiderate, but probably not required to pay a fee unless you agreed to in a contract.

you do realize that he could have spent that time with other clients, right? That he, perhaps, is feeling the crunch of the economy in many ways that a person not working on commission would.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 PM

74 posts, read 287,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlipp View Post
It will cost this broker more time and money to recoup his loss in small claims court than it cost him by your not showing up and he knows that. He's hoping to scare you into thinking you will lose a day's pay to go to court. Don't fall for it.

He's not a very good thief or businessman. He's now lost your business, good will and references. I would write a letter to the owner/manager of the brokerage he works for explaining the situation.

While calling earlier would have been the best way to deal with this, things happen. Anyone who works with the public and sets appointments knows this and understands that.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:26 PM

371 posts, read 1,161,901 times
He's bluffing. Just hoping for a sucker so he can make a quick $50. Ignore him and move on.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:45 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
Everyone's time is precious, and blowing off an appointment without taking a moment to call and explain is inconsiderate.

I think he made his point in a rather memorable way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts