U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 9,276 times

Advertisements

A couple of my friends and I are planning a road trip from FL to Mass. I was wondering if anyone had done this and would like to ask if there are any attractions/site seeing to visit during the road trip. Also what is the best way to take?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:30 PM

2,954 posts, read 11,836,812 times
I've done it the other way. Unless you're coming from the Florida panhandle, you basically take 95 North.

(If you are coming from the panhandle, I guess you still take 10 East to 95 North unless you're all the way out by Pensacola, where it's better to take 65 to 85 North to 95 North.)

On 95 North, once you hit Delaware, it's probably better to take the NJ Turnpike rather than 95 through Philly (unless you want to see Philly). There are also some alternate routes to 95 North once you pass NYC (like 684 to 84 to 90, or 95 to 91 to 84 to 90), but you can take 95 all the way to Mass. as well.

There's plenty to see on the way. It depends on how much time you have and your interests. There are a lot of big and small cites along the road. 95 takes you past Providence, RI; Mystic, Connecticut; New Haven, which has Yale and some good pizza; New York City; Philadelphia; Baltimore; Washington DC and Alexandria, Va.; Richmond, Va. and a whole host of other towns that are very interesting.

Farther south, 95 passes through more rural areas, and there is the infamous South of the Border near Dillon, S.C. Lake Marion in S.C. is very pretty, and Savannah is gorgeous. So are the Georgia coast islands like Cumberland and St. Simmons.

I don't know how much of Fla. you've seen, but 95 passes right by Jacksonville, St. Augustine (oldest city in the US), Daytona Beach, Cape Canaveral and down to Palm Beach and Miami.

I took 8 days to drive down and saw as much as possible, mostly skipping NYC and DC (where I had lived) and going to places I hadn't been to before. On the drive back I did it in two 12-hour days and stayed in a motel in Rocky Mount, NC. I didn't see too much on the way back.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 PM

122 posts, read 297,863 times
We've done the FL to Mass. trip a handful of times by car. My favorite place to stop is the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, and it's not too far out of the way. Once you visit, you'll go back, I promise. The scenery is beautiful, the weather cool and crisp most of the day, even in the summer, lots of hiking trails, waterfalls, lodges and cabins (Big Meadows area is my favorite of the lodging areas), and just a good feel to it. You can eat meals in one of the two lodges (again, the Big Meadows Dining Room is the best), and don't even have to rough it if you don't want to. You can also pitch a tent if that's your thing. At nighttime, there are campfires, Ranger talks, folk music entertainment, etc. Great for a family with kids, or just adults - we've done it both ways. On your drive there, you could stop at Natural Bridge, or on your way out, Luray Caverns. Both of those are fun, somewhat touristy, but the Shenandoah Nat. Park itself
isn't overly touristy, IMHO. If you want to stay in one of the cabins or the lodge, you need to book now.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 AM

11 posts, read 30,063 times
I used to live in NE, Ma and NH while my parents were in Fl where I now live so have made the trek many times.

If you have done the I-boring-95 thing, then you might want to look at a bit more of an inland route - will take you up thru the mountains of SC< NC, Virginia etc.

If you haven't been up I-95 in Fl you can do that, go to Savanah and then cut inland.......guess it all depends on your time frame - there is a LOT to see.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 9,276 times
thanks for all the useful advices. i took i 95 all the way to mass last time but didnt really see much since we were on a schedule. This time it seems like im going take the inland route to mass to see the scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts