Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:10 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times

Advertisements

Any house built prior to 1978 may have lead paint in it. The fear is that kids under 6 will eat it since it tastes sweet and the lead will build up in their systems and can cause neurological problems. Lead paint is treated like a hazardous waste today and it can be very costly to have it taken care of. Encapsulating might not be enough when it comes to renting.
Kids are not the only ones at risk but pets can lick, chew or eat the paint too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 08:40 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
My roommates are having a baby in the next few months, and we suspect this apartment has not been de-leaded. They (I think naively) think that the landlord will allow them to leave because of this. I don't want to get screwed over here... does anyone have any advice? Can lead paint really do that much damage to an infant who cannot do anything on its own? We'd only be staying there 4 more months.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
My roommates are having a baby in the next few months, and we suspect this apartment has not been de-leaded. They (I think naively) think that the landlord will allow them to leave because of this. I don't want to get screwed over here... does anyone have any advice? Can lead paint really do that much damage to an infant who cannot do anything on its own? We'd only be staying there 4 more months.
Your roommates are probably correct especially if you only have four months left on the lease. Any landlord with a solid head on his shoulders would release you from the lease so as not to have to pay for the de-leading. Especially if there is no guarantee that four months later you'll still be living there. In my experience, most landlords try to avoid paying for de-leading whenever possible.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:00 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,237,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
I'm not a landlord, but I've rented a house with lead paint in the past. I recall just having to sign an agreement that we are aware of the lead paint and that if we eat the walls and die, the landlord is not held accountable.

FYI: illegal and by MA laws immediately unenforceable in the court or law, even if you sign it 15 times.

Many people are unaware of this. Landlord do put all sorts of clauses that are illegal, and if you sign them they are not held against you (renter). They are struck down by judge (if situation escalate enough to be going to court).

People educate yourself, it very easy to learn about regulations in MA online.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:06 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,237,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

If they have lead on the doors and windows friction will make "lead dust" that is airborne and invisible. When baby starts crawling additional exposure can come from chipping baseboards, floor dust included. Babies put everything in their mouth.Toys, feet, hands--it is impossible to protect them.
Landlord should be smart to let them go ASAP. One or two months will not kill them, if they stay, but better safe than sorry, for all involved. Your friends should be talking to their landlord ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts