Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,867 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am toying with the idea of moving to Nahant, MA. How would the commute be to the Cambridge area inside of the 9am-10am range?

I know 1A, the Lynnway, etc...can get crowded, I just don't know how crowded during the rush.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:02 AM

59 posts, read 284,305 times
Default *bump*

i am going to guess it could take an hour!
anybody...?

Old 06-15-2009, 07:41 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,041 times
Jared, it's been a long time since I made that commute, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. Check the commuter rail and see if it still runs through Central Square in Lynn and what the parking situation may be. You'd have to drive there but it's not far from the Causeway. Central Square was a little dicey when I lived in the area, don't know if its gotten better or worse.
You could also drive to Wonderland in Revere. Lots of traffic.
There are also buses that used to run from Swampscott to Haymarket via the Lynnway.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 AM

68 posts, read 183,309 times
I live in the area - in fact, I just moved to Nahant (lived in Lynn for a few yrs).

Yes, the commuter rail still runs - it's expensive, but it gets to North Station in about 15 minutes - definitely the fastest way to get in town. The bus that goes to Haymarket takes a long while - I think it's just a bit less expensive than the commuter rail. If you take the bus, it's smarter to take the subway at Wonderland, since you'd have to get to the red line anyway.

My son works in Cambridge, and commuted from our old Diamond District apt. for awhile. He said he learned some short cuts that he took when the traffic was bad - but then again, he's a bartender, so his hours are much different.

Forgot to mention - Lynn Central Square is sketchy - but in the five years I lived in Lynn (walked extensively down Broad St. to get to Shaw's and even Price Rite, and to go to the commuter rail), I never had any problem.

Last edited by anouk_pantoufle; 07-06-2009 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: forgot to include info about Lynn

Old 07-06-2009, 10:43 AM

11 posts, read 42,600 times
I know someone that used to commute in from Nahant to Central Square everyday and it took her about 45 minutes to an hour in rush hour. She'd generally leave her house between 7:30 and 9:00, depending on her schedule for the day. Going back was just as bad, if not worse.

If you can avoid the Tobin Bridge, and go in Rt 16/99, you'll sometimes save yourself some time (and definitely the tolls on the Tobin or in the tunnels).

Nahant is an absolutely beautiful area to live in and I wish your son the best of luck!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,041 times
I have to admit, as an East Lynn native, that I enjoy hearing the phrase "Diamond District". Never heard that in all my years until I starting reading here! It took me a while to figure out that it was the Lynn Shore Drive area, where I spend the majority of my teen years.
Must be a creation/revival by the local real estate market to make it sound more attractive to buyers. It was a nice area when I grew up there, some great old homes and architecture, but "diamond"?
Does anyone know where this phrase comes from? I've been looking everywhere but can't find much.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:46 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,802 times
Thumbs up Nahant commute

The commuter rail would be the best option from Lynn

but ---

if you do drive in

(you might consider renting a parking space somewhere in town)

check on craigslist parking section in Boston

---might save you time and money--and hassle.

-----

A good route for driving would be

Nahant Causeway
Lynnway 1A south
Revere Beach Blvd (Senic Drive) for the AM
State Rd to Bennington St
Bennington into past suffolk downs race track
past constitution beach and the airport
to 1A

from there you have two options

if you're heading south of town or along the Pike
take the I-90 Ted Williams tunnel
to I-90 West or hook up with route 3 S. either way you'll be going opposite flow of AM traffic)

Or if you're heading north of the city or downtown you might consider
the Sumner Tunnel
(get a Fastlane Transponder for the tolls)

A second option without the tolls would be Revere beach
then 145 W revere beach pkwy-winthrop ave to
Broadway 107 South
Right on 2nd st.
L on Beacham St (if you dont mind potholes)
then left on 99 to Sullivan Square
then Rutherford Avenue into town
(you wouldn't want to get on the highway in the rush hour)(at least not southbound)

follow along with googlemaps

if you dont mind revere beach pkway you could just go revere beach pkwy to
99 as well

99 would also be a good route to take home as well

could take rutherford ave north to 99 north
to Everett Square
then go back to Revere beach pkway and take revere beach pkwy back up to
Lynnway 1A and back to Nahant

either way it'd work fine for ya

and you'd avoid the tolls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts