Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM

9 posts, read 42,253 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to MA in August, have three school age kids and my husband will be based out of Marlborough. Looking for a great family area with lots of ammenities and activites. Currently considering...Hopkinton, Bolton, Grafton, Upton, Berlin, and Shrewsbury. Any suggestions on which areas are better and which we should avoid? (we are looking to purcahse a 4-bedroom house for around $600,000.) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:30 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Default Hopkinton

I hear good things about Hopkinton. A friend of mine lives there and loves it. Its also the start of the Boston marathon every year. They have a beautiful town green - on the common and a state park there. - You'd be close to the Mass Pike and 495 - as well as Worcester so you'll be right in the middle of everything - 2-3 hours from almost ebvery part of New England

you could even drive to the beach up 495 to Salisbury - which would be at the end of 495

or you could drive to the south coast/cape---newport RI from there-
for beach weekends etc

Old 06-07-2009, 10:50 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Default Hopkinton and area links

Here's a few links about Hopkinton and area to help you out

Town of Hopkinton:
Official Website of the Town of Hopkinton, MA

Hopkinton
Official Website of the Town of Hopkinton, MA (http://www.hopkinton.org/visitors.htm - broken link)

Hopkinton Public schools
Hopkinton Public Schools

Town Parks:
Town Forrest

Nearby Malls
MALLS

Museums:
Museums

Nearby Golf:
Golf Courses

Nearby ski areas
SKI AREAS

Government and town statistics/info
TOWN OF HOPKINTON

Local business:
Hopkinton, Mass - Business Listing

Local history:
HISTORY

Hopkinton Then and Now in pictures
Then & Now

Area Dining
Dining & Nightlife

Hopkinton State park
Hopkinton State Park

Hopkinton Police
HPD - Virtual Substation

Weston Nurseries
(Hopkinton)
Weston Nurseries - Garden Center, Landscaping, Commercial Sales

Hopkinton Country Club
New England's Premier Family Country Club

Cornell's Irish pub
Cornell's Pub Web Site

Golden Spoon Ice cream
Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt

Old 06-12-2009, 04:54 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
Marlboro certainly does not have a reputation for being a good school system, sorry to say. I can't imagine how they got rated that well from Boston Magazine. They practically lost their acceditation a few years back. My mom taught there for years and from what she's shared over the years it's definately not the place I'd pick to educate my kids.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 PM
jpq

48 posts, read 150,083 times
Check out Littleton too.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:40 AM

675 posts, read 2,683,817 times
Check ot Southborough as well. Very good schools, lots of nice families, and a good location. We love it here.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 8,337 times
I live in Berlin, it's a very small town located on the 495 pop. 2600 I believe. The property taxes are just over 1.5 percent which is very low. Be sure to look closely at towns property taxes!! Berlin has Solomon Pond mall w/Macy's, JCPenny's is on the South/West side of Town and a BJ's/Lowe's/Supermarket is being built on the NorthEast side of town by the end of this year. The town itself is very quiet and very family oriented. I have people riding horses by my house everyday. It shares a border w/towns like Marlboro/Northboro/Bolton/Hudson all of which have great amenities for quick access from Berlin, Bolton's HS (which is shared w/Berlin and Stowe) was rated in the top 500 public HS in the nation. Berlin is nice, but without the taxes or the traffic of it's neighbors.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:07 AM

8 posts, read 20,556 times
I don't know why the person who lives in Berlin is saying they share a HS with Bolton. I live in Bolton and Nashoba High School is actually shared with the towns of Lancaster, Bolton, and Stow.

Berlin actually shares HS with Boylston. From what i have heard Berlin schools are Ok, but not as good as Nashoba or Harvard.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,337 times
Because the person in Berlin actually had the knowledge before writing the above post that Nashoba will allow students from Berlin to attend, as does Assabet HS in Marlboro.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:00 PM

12 posts, read 48,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire View Post
Marlboro certainly does not have a reputation for being a good school system, sorry to say. I can't imagine how they got rated that well from Boston Magazine. They practically lost their acceditation a few years back. My mom taught there for years and from what she's shared over the years it's definately not the place I'd pick to educate my kids.
My sense is that perhaps your mom's experience although no doubt legitimate might be bit dated. By every metric the Marlborough School System is getting better. Conversely I recently was on a flight to Los Angeles and sat next to a teacher from Sudbury (Marlborough's neighbor) who relayed horror stories about that highly respected school system (non of which I will repeat here). The reality is the best way to look at a school system is to look at there metrics and beyond that actually visit the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts