U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 03:24 PM

3,554 posts, read 1,377,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
:
:
I enjoy Boston and Environs but sometimes I really do actually like being in Springfield or Easthampton where traffic is essentially nonexistent and I can see valleys and hills.
That's why I like living high on the North Shore, despite commuting into Cambridge. I am not "out in the weeds", but I am out of the madness at least with some quiet small towns, nice parks, salt marsh and forests around me, and plenty more lower-stress, greener areas within 30 minutes . I don't like my commute, but I still feel it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 03:54 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,064,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
That's why I like living high on the North Shore, despite commuting into Cambridge. I am not "out in the weeds", but I am out of the madness at least with some quiet small towns, nice parks, salt marsh and forests around me, and plenty more lower-stress, greener areas within 30 minutes . I don't like my commute, but I still feel it's worth it.
I did that too and knew some other people who did. We got to live a quiet life with beautiful nature around, ocean to swim in, sunsets, salt marsh, birds, and although it was a long drive, we had good jobs too.

As to the divide between E & W, I'm from WMass and we never went to Boston. It was much too far away/too long a drive and there was just a general disconnect in that we didn't even know what was there or why we would want to go there. We had the CT River Valley as our general area and our highway was I 91. We would go shopping or to a museum in Hartford and I never even knew there were museums in Boston until much later. Never went to Boston for shopping in my entire life, not even when I finally lived on the north shore. The CT River has always been like a north-south magnet, even going back in history. We do not think east-west.

We never went to the Berkshires either. That was another entirely different world. It has Tanglewood, which I didn't discover until I was an adult. I think another reason is that Tanglewood is very expensive unless you want to sit on the lawn and Boston is very expensive too. The CT River Valley was affordable for us and people lived and moved up and down the CT River Valley, mostly down to the Hartford area. I never knew more than one or two people who moved out to the Boston area as it was too remotely located and unknown to us. And we could get to the Cape without going near Boston!

Old 01-21-2020, 05:02 PM

983 posts, read 859,201 times
I feel connected to every part of Mass., and love it. I grew up in a Boston suburb, went to the Cape for a few weeks in August, but have lived in the beautiful Pioneer Valley since 1980 and will never leave. Only negative for me is that the Cape is now so much farther. But, at heart, I'm a rural and small-town guy.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:12 AM

892 posts, read 1,097,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
A more accurate assessment might be that central MA hates everyone, including themselves, and these salty central MA residents are often confused for being either eastern or western MA residents.
Haha, I feel exposed!!

Old 01-22-2020, 03:43 PM

3,554 posts, read 1,377,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I did that too and knew some other people who did. We got to live a quiet life with beautiful nature around, ocean to swim in, sunsets, salt marsh, birds, and although it was a long drive, we had good jobs too.

As to the divide between E & W, I'm from WMass and we never went to Boston. It was much too far away/too long a drive and there was just a general disconnect in that we didn't even know what was there or why we would want to go there. We had the CT River Valley as our general area and our highway was I 91. We would go shopping or to a museum in Hartford and I never even knew there were museums in Boston until much later. Never went to Boston for shopping in my entire life, not even when I finally lived on the north shore. The CT River has always been like a north-south magnet, even going back in history. We do not think east-west.

We never went to the Berkshires either. That was another entirely different world. It has Tanglewood, which I didn't discover until I was an adult. I think another reason is that Tanglewood is very expensive unless you want to sit on the lawn and Boston is very expensive too. The CT River Valley was affordable for us and people lived and moved up and down the CT River Valley, mostly down to the Hartford area. I never knew more than one or two people who moved out to the Boston area as it was too remotely located and unknown to us. And we could get to the Cape without going near Boston!
Other than some trout fishing way up north near the source years ago, I have never really explored the CT River Valley, but that is on my list of things to do when spring rolls around - take my time a little bit and explore the portion from North Hampton, MA to Hanover, NH. Any special places you'd suggest for me to be sure to include?

Old 01-22-2020, 08:01 PM

4,273 posts, read 5,097,871 times
I was watching House Hunters, and a couple from Gloucester was buying a house in Westboro. The husband kept saying he wasn't sure if he wanted to move "all the way out to western Mass." (sigh... ) Get out much?

Old 01-23-2020, 08:37 AM

752 posts, read 961,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I was watching House Hunters, and a couple from Gloucester was buying a house in Westboro. The husband kept saying he wasn't sure if he wanted to move "all the way out to western Mass." (sigh... ) Get out much?
As a lifelong Boston area resident it still amazes me how provincial we are as a state. This is a perfect example.

And yes, I'm including myself in that. I've only been to Worcester and parts west a handful of times, not including driving the Pike. I don't have a reason for that other than no family nor any reason to go out that way unless I was visiting some place specific :shrug:

Old 01-23-2020, 10:24 AM

6,495 posts, read 2,760,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Never even heard of Westboro so maybe he has a point lol

Old 01-23-2020, 01:45 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,540,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Never even heard of Westboro so maybe he has a point lol
*Westborough

Old 01-24-2020, 08:42 AM

17,034 posts, read 9,458,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
*Westborough
Not WEBO?

When I worked there, spelling it Marlboro, Northboro, Westboro, and Southboro was pretty common for residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts