U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 09:16 AM

6,397 posts, read 2,706,831 times

Advertisements

i've heard of all the other boros just not westboro..ugh

must not be' happening' or very populated
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 09:33 AM

2,381 posts, read 1,515,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

This assumption would be slightly wrong. It has quite a bit of retail and corporate, including a new Amazon/Kiva Robotics R&D site and a few other notable employers. It’s arguably the most “happening” ‘borough along with Marlborough.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 01-24-2020 at 10:31 AM..

Old 01-24-2020, 02:58 PM

21,858 posts, read 20,978,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Other than some trout fishing way up north near the source years ago, I have never really explored the CT River Valley, but that is on my list of things to do when spring rolls around - take my time a little bit and explore the portion from North Hampton, MA to Hanover, NH. Any special places you'd suggest for me to be sure to include?
At your service, lol. As an outdoor lover, you might drive along rte 47 in Hadley to get to Skinner Park and drive (or hike!) up the mountain to enjoy the view of the Pioneer Valley. You can see the river winding along way below you and the towns. https://www.mass.gov/locations/skinner-state-park Hadley is just next to Northampton (all one word) so you can also walk around in Northampton and enjoy the shops and restaurants later on.

There's a bike trail, if you're interested. https://www.mass.gov/locations/norwottuck-rail-trail

If you go a little bit north of Northampton, you get into a beautiful semi rural area that includes Historic Deerfield. It's amazing. One magical street of perfectly restored 18th C homes and it's not crowded or touristy feeling like Sturbridge Village (which is mainly 19th C.) This hearkens back to an earlier era and focuses on the Deerfield Massacre of 1704 when Native Americans attacked the settlement while the guards were sleeping on the job.

Even if you don't want to tour a house, there's an incredibly interesting museum to look around in and you can see the famous Indian door--a door that still has the hatchet marks in it. This place brings history alive, as they say. But it really does--you feel transported to a different world. In many ways Historic Deerfield tells the story of the Pioneer Valley.

https://www.historic-deerfield.org/tours

These are just some highlights but if I were visiting for a few days, these are places I would go. I hope you do come and visit.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:30 PM

3,496 posts, read 1,330,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
At your service, lol. As an outdoor lover, you might drive along rte 47 in Hadley to get to Skinner Park and drive (or hike!) up the mountain to enjoy the view of the Pioneer Valley. You can see the river winding along way below you and the towns. https://www.mass.gov/locations/skinner-state-park Hadley is just next to Northampton (all one word) so you can also walk around in Northampton and enjoy the shops and restaurants later on.

There's a bike trail, if you're interested. https://www.mass.gov/locations/norwottuck-rail-trail

If you go a little bit north of Northampton, you get into a beautiful semi rural area that includes Historic Deerfield. It's amazing. One magical street of perfectly restored 18th C homes and it's not crowded or touristy feeling like Sturbridge Village (which is mainly 19th C.) This hearkens back to an earlier era and focuses on the Deerfield Massacre of 1704 when Native Americans attacked the settlement while the guards were sleeping on the job.

Even if you don't want to tour a house, there's an incredibly interesting museum to look around in and you can see the famous Indian door--a door that still has the hatchet marks in it. This place brings history alive, as they say. But it really does--you feel transported to a different world. In many ways Historic Deerfield tells the story of the Pioneer Valley.

https://www.historic-deerfield.org/tours

These are just some highlights but if I were visiting for a few days, these are places I would go. I hope you do come and visit.
Thanks very much for the insider's tips! I am an old guy, but I do have a bike and a hitch carrier to tote it with. I might bring it to aid in exploring the small towns :-)

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-26-2020 at 06:52 PM..

Old 01-26-2020, 06:36 PM

15,179 posts, read 27,252,920 times
Quote:

THe North Jersey vs South Jersey divide might be even stronger than East vs West here. As much as I enjoy proximity to NYC and tree cover in my wifes native Maplewood, I really really enjoy the levittown esque simplicity,neatness, stillness and quiet of my Aunts home/town in Willingboro NJ and into Mount Laurel NJ. ..
If New Jersey was designed the way it actually works, there would be no north or south. Or New Jersey. There's be the Philly penumbra and media penetration/Pine Barrens/Shore, and the northern part to New York. I grew up in south Jersey and was pretty old before I realized how close NYC actually was. Had to go to Seaside Heights to get NYC radio programming.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:50 PM

4,272 posts, read 5,083,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
*Westborough
k

Old 01-28-2020, 07:52 PM

4,272 posts, read 5,083,458 times
Quote:

You've heard of Northboro and Southboro, but not Westboro? That's pretty funny.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:21 AM

980 posts, read 854,642 times
Yes, especially as Westborough has the MassPike going through it.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:38 AM

16,923 posts, read 9,381,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
You've heard of Northboro and Southboro, but not Westboro? That's pretty funny.
From context, I believe he means he’s always seen it written Westborough and never Westboro. Back in the dark ages when I was between startups, I worked at the main Data General building in Westborough. Internally, it was Webo. Generally, it was spelled Westboro and you didn’t see much of Westborough. I did a startup in Marlboro in the industrial park just outside 495. I don’t recall ever seeing Marlborough on anything in the mail.

If you see Westborough now, I figure it’s because the realtors got at it to make it more pretentious.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:39 AM

38,242 posts, read 28,001,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
From context, I believe he means he’s always seen it written Westborough and never Westboro. Back in the dark ages when I was between startups, I worked at the main Data General building in Westborough. Internally, it was Webo. Generally, it was spelled Westboro and you didn’t see much of Westborough. I did a startup in Marlboro in the industrial park just outside 495. I don’t recall ever seeing Marlborough on anything in the mail.

If you see Westborough now, I figure it’s because the realtors got at it to make it more pretentious.

My main office is here and we seem to get an equal amount of mail to both. It's interchangeable.

And, yeah, this is a relatively BLAH community with a few nice open spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts