Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 05:29 AM

3 posts, read 5,889 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm Matt, 30m, and live in Southampton, England. I've been to Worcester, MA several times to see the Sharks play at the DCU centre, visit the freedom trail and commute to Boston. I know Worcester is not a major tourist attraction and has issues with crime and lack of attractions (according to previous posts!), but I'd like to know more about the city, where best to buy, any areas to avoid, and any apartment blocks to consider. I must have been to Worcester 3 or 4 times but have never had the opportunity to visit the Greendale Centre, whats there and whats it like? Is biotech park a nice area to consider living?

If anyone can offer help and advice, I'd be really grateful!

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 08:46 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephedex View Post
Hi,

I'm Matt, 30m, and live in Southampton, England. I've been to Worcester, MA several times to see the Sharks play at the DCU centre, visit the freedom trail and commute to Boston. I know Worcester is not a major tourist attraction and has issues with crime and lack of attractions (according to previous posts!), but I'd like to know more about the city, where best to buy, any areas to avoid, and any apartment blocks to consider. I must have been to Worcester 3 or 4 times but have never had the opportunity to visit the Greendale Centre, whats there and whats it like? Is biotech park a nice area to consider living?

If anyone can offer help and advice, I'd be really grateful!

Matt
I lived in Worcester for 10 years before moving to the suburbs. I actually miss having everything around me and always open.

I personally really like the west side, which would be the Tatnuck Square area. My mother lived in the Webster Square area for many years, and that was a nice neighborhood. I also really like the Salisbury Street area, but it is expensive.

Another option would be to move to Holden, which abuts Worcester. Holden has everything (grocery store, CVS, dollar store, many restaurants etc.), which makes it nice.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:10 PM

81 posts, read 331,961 times
Matt,
A lot depends on some factors like if you are planning to have a family in the future. Then, go for Shrewsbury or Holden. Worcester is definitely not an exciting place to live. Our tenants here were from England. They loved us, but didn't really get used to Worcester, or MA in general, and moved back after 2-3 years.
Are you asking about Greendale Mall? It's almost abandoned...
The only few really nice areas are Salisbury/Tetnuck area. good luck, but I would personally not buy here .

Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 10,440 times
Hi Matt,

Worcester is an interesting animal and you are right to ask the questions because it's not very easy to navigate. Some of the best areas to buy are the West Side (Tatnuck), Westwood Hills, Mill Street area (near Worcester College), North Side (Burncoat, Brittan Square area), East Side (Lakeview, Bloomingdale). Selecting where you want to buy may vary on what you're looking for.

In looking at your question it seems to me you're looking for a condo option right now and not really a house. If my guess is right, there are a few condo options that are in these areas and would be great options. Some new construction is also available and very affordable in Worcester. There are the Chestnut Place Condos, Kettle Brook Lofts, and many more.

Worcester is an up-and-coming city that was on the Forbes List for "America's Most Livable Cities". It is certainly a city worth exploring.

Sedie

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-24-2009 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: no advertising/soliciting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts