U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,219,392 times

Advertisements

So I been watching the massachusettes forum for awhile now (check my join date.) And I've notice over that time treads, where people are either looking for liberal towns or conservative towns in Massachusetts.
Now I'm not currently looking to move to a particular type of town or anything.
But let me ask you guys. Are there towns for Moderates? Or perhaps towns that are mixed with liberals and conservatives living as neighbors?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 01:18 PM

17,525 posts, read 30,835,781 times
Well, in the 2004 elections, the state went 60% for Kerry, 40% for Bush. I hardly think that's a liberal landslide.
I don't think there are towns that are extremely either way, really. Maybe I've lived here too long to see it, but I think people could be comfortable in any town with any reasonable convictions. Cambridge used to be an exception (to an absurd degree- all that "charming diversity" under rent control- idiocy. So glad Cambridge voted to stay out of El Salvador, etc.) but now there's so much money and high real estate washing around Cambridge, I think it's gotten more moderate. Money has a way of doing that.
"A conservative is a liberal who signs a mortgage."

Old 06-22-2009, 04:14 PM

406 posts, read 1,436,199 times
Funny--I know a lot of liberals with mortgages. I'm one, in fact.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,662,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Well, in the 2004 elections, the state went 60% for Kerry, 40% for Bush. I hardly think that's a liberal landslide.
I don't think there are towns that are extremely either way, really. Maybe I've lived here too long to see it, but I think people could be comfortable in any town with any reasonable convictions. Cambridge used to be an exception (to an absurd degree- all that "charming diversity" under rent control- idiocy. So glad Cambridge voted to stay out of El Salvador, etc.) but now there's so much money and high real estate washing around Cambridge, I think it's gotten more moderate. Money has a way of doing that.
what cambridge are you talking about? moderate...

Money doesn't make a conservative anywhere in Mass, in fact, sometimes despite logic it seems the opposite.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:02 AM

79 posts, read 224,917 times
Working hard + low taxes + personal responsibility + limited government intervention = conservatism

Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,219,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda View Post
Funny--I know a lot of liberals with mortgages. I'm one, in fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
what cambridge are you talking about? moderate...

Money doesn't make a conservative anywhere in Mass, in fact, sometimes despite logic it seems the opposite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTD View Post
Working hard + low taxes + personal responsibility + limited government intervention = conservatism

Guys. Let us stay on point.

What towns (if any ) do you know or think are moderate towns?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:42 PM

4,657 posts, read 6,124,825 times
Looking for a moderate town is like looking for a clothing store that caters to people of average height--being in the middle just isn't very noteworthy. I'd bet there isn't one city or town in this commonwealth that doesn't have at least one conservative and one liberal, so every town has liberals and conservatives living next to each other as neighbors. As much as these boards might make you think otherwise, most people are mature enough to treat their neighbors with respect even if they may vehemently disagree with one or all of their political views. Sure, there may be the occasional pocket of liberal or conservative intolerance, but that's something that will be far more localized than the town level.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:12 AM

74 posts, read 274,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Looking for a moderate town is like looking for a clothing store that caters to people of average height--being in the middle just isn't very noteworthy. I'd bet there isn't one city or town in this commonwealth that doesn't have at least one conservative and one liberal, so every town has liberals and conservatives living next to each other as neighbors. As much as these boards might make you think otherwise, most people are mature enough to treat their neighbors with respect even if they may vehemently disagree with one or all of their political views. Sure, there may be the occasional pocket of liberal or conservative intolerance, but that's something that will be far more localized than the town level.

Great post Jay.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:31 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,204,367 times
Agreed. It's simplistic to think that all towns can be labelled according to political leanings. It's far more complicated than that--it's quite common, for example, for one spouse to be democrat and the other republican. We humans are a crazy bunch.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:39 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,868,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Sure, there may be the occasional pocket of liberal or conservative intolerance
Like the People's Republic of Cambridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: