U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,962 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My son is currently looking for a two family home. They would like a community that would produce a good rental income, but most importantly want a community with a good school system and good reputation regarding interaction with parents etc. Their desire is to stay put once settled and raise their family.

Any suggestions regarding the above communities test scores etc.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:42 AM

967 posts, read 4,628,358 times
Arlington might be a good choice as they're likely to find more multi-family inventory than in Winchester (which also has strong schools but not a ton of multis).

Old 07-05-2009, 02:32 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,219,156 times
Thumbs up Winchester

Winchester has great public schools, in fact some would argue the best in the state. Muraco Elementary got top in the MCAS Scores a couple years ago.

Just about everyone in the High Scholl graduates and goes on to college

Winchester is a great town with lots to do and easy access to the city and area/region

if you have any questions feel free to ask away or PM me

Winchester Public Schools

What activities are your kids into ? I.e. what age are they?

Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 PM

Default Alicia Sacramone

I should also mention that Alicia Sacramone the olympic gymnastics star for the USA in Beijing grew up in Winchester and graduated from Winchester schools

the majority of students go on to college and do well in life

Old 07-05-2009, 02:36 PM

Default Winchester

Also my mom has taught in the Winchester school system since the 1980's. --a lot of the teachers stay around Winchester for years.
She teaches up at Vinson Owen school, on the west side of town

Old 07-05-2009, 05:22 PM

11 posts, read 41,414 times
The closer to Boston that you are, the better the rental income gets. Newton and Brookline are the most ideal choices for this, as you get a lot of renters with young kids who want to take advantage of the amazing school systems while saving to buy something. How much money does your son have to spend on a 2-family? If he has at least 750K, I'd undoubtely, without any question recommend these areas.

If he wants to spend less, Watertown and Arlington schools aren't bad, nor are Quincy's. Braintree Public Schools are good, and it's an awesome commuter town. They're not as great as Newton, Brookline, Winchester, Waltham, Weston, but the area is also more affordable.

If it's his first time buying, remind him of the 8,000 tax credit that's been buzzing around the Real Estate market. It expires in November.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:29 AM

Default Arlington

I might suggest Arlington as well
easy access to Boston

Arlington Heights might be a nice area

Bike path through town from Alewife-Davis Square area to Bedford

Route 2 is right nearby - with easy access to 495-128...(short cuts through back roads to 93) (about 10 minutes)

easy bus routes to Davis-Porter Square and Alewife

nice suburban small town with lots of activities through the year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts