Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:24 PM

14 posts, read 10,748 times

Advertisements

Now that congress is getting close to passing a new public health, I find myself very concerned about the type of plan that it is. I have read up a little on the plan that Massachusetts has and I find it more appealing. Can you give me your thoughts, both pros and cons, to the system you currently have in place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 03:42 PM

138 posts, read 339,794 times
I live in Mass currently and do not have health insurance. I also waive the $912 fine under "religious exemption". I can not stand it when the government tells me to do something whether I want to or not. I cannot afford the plans which seem to start at 300 a month.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:48 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
My thoughts are, the HCS here rots. They make you pay for those high priced premiums whether you can afford it or not, and I cannot!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:48 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontopueblo View Post
I also waive the $912 fine under "religious exemption".
Interesting. Can I waive paying taxes under "religious exemption?" Just out of curiosity, what religion is it that prohibits you from having insurance or paying fines?

Old 07-16-2009, 05:55 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
I believe it was PJ O'Rourke who said "If you think health care is expensive now, just wait until it's free!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
My thoughts are, the HCS here rots. They make you pay for those high priced premiums whether you can afford it or not, and I cannot!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I believe it was PJ O'Rourke who said "If you think health care is expensive now, just wait until it's free!"
That is what I am afraid of.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:41 PM

138 posts, read 339,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Interesting. Can I waive paying taxes under "religious exemption?" Just out of curiosity, what religion is it that prohibits you from having insurance or paying fines?
No you can not waive paying taxes or you end up in jail, not paying penalties such as this one have no teeth so it is no easily enforced.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:39 PM

It certainly doesn't seem like many people are complaining about it, so it must not be so bad.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:19 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
It's all so complicated. I try to follow it but can't pay attention long enough. I agree that fee for service is the wrong philosophy. I'd much rather see a Mayo clinic, one fee for treatment of a diagnosis system, so we don't wind up, for example, building football field sized proton radiation fields to treat slow growing, in many cases, non-fatal, prostate cancers so that investors can make tons of money without having proven that the treatment is effective.

I think everyone should have access to preventative healthcare, and everyone should have access to free healthcare to treat serious conditions regardless of their personal finances.

We're all one diagnosis away from bankruptcy.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:57 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Clevedark, I agree with you. I have no experience with the MA system, but we have to do something about healthcare in this country and I think that free or very cheap access to preventative healthcare would be an excellent start. I had been without health insuance for almost a year, started working freelance (1099) for a former employer. When he found out that I didn't have health insurance, he switched me to W-2 with them paying about 1/2 my premium. I pay a bit over $200 a month for Blue Cross Blue Shield with 90% coverage of most things. SIX days after it went into effect, I was in the hospital having just about every cardio and neuro test known to man because I'd passed out at the gym. Now, if I didn't have insurance, I don't know if they would have given me all those tests or not, but the bills totalled over $26,000 which would have bankrupted me. I probably would have insisted on not going to the ER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts