Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,189 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I relocated some time ago and live in Tewksbury. I'm taking custody of my daughter and now that I am investigating schools for the local districts I'm wondering if a student residing in one district can attend a school in another district?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 01:31 PM

75 posts, read 305,541 times
I would say that's a definite no. I am/was really involved in highschool sports as an adult and this is a pretty strict rule that's followed...you have to live in the town to go to school there. Theres many reasons but a lot has to do with taxes. Andover residents don't want to pay taxes for a child who lives outside of town to go to school there, and that childs family contributes nothing to the town.
Soon you could have 100 families sending there kids to that school and there would be no money to cover it in the budget. Imagine trying to go to Andover or any towns taxpayers for more tax money because they need to cover for families that aren't paying into the system that funds these good schools.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:25 PM

9,898 posts, read 15,466,501 times
Some districts allow outside students to enroll, but I doubt Andover does. Are there any nearby charter schools you could look into?

Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,890,997 times
School choice is usually limited to in-town residents who may want their child to attend a school in the same district but not the school that they are slated to attend which is usually determined by their address. You usually would have to petition the district and give a plausible explanation as to why you want your child to attend a different school (day care is on the other side of town, or something like that. "I prefer X school over Y school" is not a valid reason to allow you into another school.

If you are wanting to have your child educated out of your town's school system, you may have to look into the possibility of paying the Andover school district to educate your child. After all, your Tewksbury property taxes are not funding Andover schools. I would recommend approaching the Andover school department to get the information on what is and is not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart_L View Post
Hello,

I relocated some time ago and live in Tewksbury. I'm taking custody of my daughter and now that I am investigating schools for the local districts I'm wondering if a student residing in one district can attend a school in another district?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM

61 posts, read 231,151 times
Only if the student is a minority and resides within the city limits of Boston...

Old 07-26-2009, 09:15 AM

136 posts, read 460,848 times
Default Check Out MA DOE Web Site

The MA Dept of Ed website gives district profiles including which ones offer school choice. This might be a start:

School Finance: School Choice

Or just call the district and find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts