Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 01:36 PM

19 posts, read 164,541 times

Advertisements

We've looked everywhere but nothing seems to fit. Either the home requires too much work or the asking price is too demanding -our comfort zone is 300k-350k. We do not have children but would like them soon enough (2-3 years). I work from home, she works in Medfield. We currently do not need anything more than a 2-bedroom condo, but some time ago we thought that a small home would be best, in case we needed to stay there to ride out the market. I think we've gotten ahead of ourselves in terms of looking at school systems and neighborhoods that are good environments for kids.

My question, I guess, is what should our priorities be at the current moment while looking for a home?

Should we consider condos again?

Is Andrew Square in South Boston a nice neighborhood, even if for just the two of us?

What about West Roxbury?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:22 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,346 times
My ex-boyfriend lives in Andrew Sq. It's not a bad area at all, but it's a little rough around the edges. I never felt unsafe or had any problems and neither did he, but he does live on the main drag on Dorchester Ave. There's a strong Polish presence there with a Polish church in the neighborhood (and a yummy Polish restaurant - Cafe Polonia), It's an underrated location. The T is right there, immediate access to the highways (93 and 90) and easy shopping at South Bay. Fairly easy street parking too.

West Roxbury is a little more residential and quite nice.

Think about it this way - if you don't plan on having children for another 2-3 years, school districts aren't going to really matter until the child is 5 which won't be for another 7-8 yrs.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:13 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,582 times
Shiver--that's so funny, when I saw Andrew Square the first thing I thought was "mmm...cafe Polonia!"

I agree, it's a bit rough-ish, but not unsafe. West Roxbury is definitely more residential and I think great for both young couples or families, and homes there do seem to hold their value well. At your price point I suspect you'd be looking more at condos, but I'm sure you could find something nice.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,108 times
A couple of things for you to consider, if I may...while schools are important to consider for when you have kids, since you don't have any now, you should not place as much emphasis on that when deciding where to look. Most people are not able to buy their dream home when they buy their first home...the best way to get closer to buying your dream home is to buy your first home. You'll be able to build some good equity by the time you have kids and they are ready to go to school. Then you can move to a different town if you feel so inclined. With the help of a good real estate agent you can find a home that meets your criteria and is a smart purchase in any market and at any time. You need to look at "what" you want in a house and you also need to look at "why". You should be pre-approved by a lender and then work with an agent to determine what features and amenities you want can be found in a home in that price range in the towns that will work for you.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,443 times
Default Wakefield-Reading area

Try Wakefield

I think it would be a good fit for you

Reading Might be another option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts