Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,576 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving back to Massachusetts after living in NYC for 2 years. Having lived in Boston previously, I am looking to move to a quieter, quainter seaside suburb. I am considering Marblehead, Beverly, and Scituate. I was wondering if anyone knows what the social/dating scene is in any of these towns? I'm not looking for major nightlife, I just would rather not be the only single person in town. Any information would be immensely helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 08:50 PM

136 posts, read 462,720 times
Welcome back to MA!

I'm not the most informed as I happen to be married with two kiddos here in Scituate, but my sense is that there's not much a 'scene' for singles. I'd guess that the single Boston professionals likely socialize with friends and coworkers in Boston while the townies have their local watering holes. Scituate in general is quiet, older, and lots o' families.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:04 PM

75 posts, read 306,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begreen13 View Post
... I just would rather not be the only single person in town.
How you doin'?...lol.

Those towns are all very nice. Certainly not the hot bed of the dating seen on the east coast, but I'm sure there are plenty of singles in all three...Enough to have a singles "scene" probably not. Given those areas are fairly affluent you will probably find well established professional singles there.

Theres always Boston...all those towns are close enough to get involved in the dating/singles scene in Boston.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:51 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
You have a tall order here, because wanting a quaint suburban town and also seeking a singles scene are a bit contradictory. As SouthshoreDad points out, you may have to compromise some on the local singles scene, and rely some on Boston.

Of the towns you are considering, Marblehead may have a fair number of restaurants, because it's a tourist destination, and the population of Marblehead and surrounding towns is large enough that I'm sure you'll find plenty of people in all age groups, but I don't know that you'll find a serious "singles scene" in the area. Beverly is unlikely to offer this either, but it is the closest to Boston of any of the three towns you're considering, as well as being fairly close to some other cities with a lot of young professionals, like Cambridge and Somerville. Other coastal towns that are at least reasonably nice which you might consider, more for their proximity to Boston than for a really good local singles scene, would be Quincy and maybe Winthrop.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 AM

Thanks guys! I think using the term "singles scene" in my original post was a little misleading. I'm really not looking for a place with a lot of nightlife-I have that here in NY. I'd just like to live in a town where there are places I can go, get a drink and a bite to eat and hopefully not be the only one who's there alone.

In a way, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that moving to the suburbs as a single woman isn't crazy. A lot of people keep telling me to stay in the city where there are more dating opportunities. But honestly, I'm tired of living in a city and really desire to have a home in the 'burbs. Plus maybe if I get the home, the husband and children will follow! If you build it, they will come...

Old 08-03-2009, 10:38 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times
I lived in Marblehead for a few years in my late 20's and loved it. The only reason I left was the due to the commute intown. I was single at the time, and never felt out of place walking into a bar or resturant on a Fri night solo. Maddie's, The Rio Grande or The Riptide was usually where I headed. There were a fair number of singles in town, although most were a few years older than me at the time. From what I remember it was more along the lines of a 30's - 40's crowd. My brother currently lives in Beverly, and their downtown area seems lively as well. And of course Salem is in between the two towns. I can't comment on Scituate though...I'm a North Shore native.

As many mentioned (and you probably already know) it's not Boston, but for seaside suburbia, Marblehead/Salem/Beverly would be my first choice.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:07 PM

Based on the updated info, I'd say you're on the right track with the towns you are considering, as well as some of the other suggestions on here, and probably plenty of other towns as well if you were flexible about wanting a coastal locale. I lived in Framingham for a few years. Framingham has a bunch of restaurants. It is somewhat of a large town, with a population of about 65k, and is a commercial center in the western suburbs. Being a commercial center, F'ham serves a wider population than its own, which probably explains the number of restaurants. However, F'ham is also very suburban in character. It's commercial activity is heavily mall-oriented. There are some exceptions, but many of the restaurants there are chains. Lots of families. Not the kind of town that's really going to be a destination for singles. Even in Framingham I would go to some of those chain eateries, hang out in the bar in back, and encounter plenty of people there alone, or single people in groups. Even got to know some of the regulars in places I went to with some frequency.

Even though you've been living in the country's largest city and metro area, it sounds as if you probably haven't ventured out to the 'burbs too often. Large metro areas are population centers that go way beyond the city, with a lot of cross-traffic between towns in the same general section of a metro. It's not like a bunch of isolated small towns with no connection to each other. In some ways, a section of a large metro area will be like an outlying lower-density section of the city proper, with each town being like a city neighborhood, and the same kind of moving around between towns that you have between neighborhoods that make up an entire large section of the city. Being in a large population center, even out in the 'burbs (as long as it's not the more country, woodsy 'burbs) will give you the opportunity to run into the whole range of age groups and varieties of marital/dating stutus when you go out to places where people congregate.

You should be fine if looking for what you describe in some of the suburbs with more active downtowns and/or restaurant scenes. You might actually want to do some research on how many restaurants there are in these towns, plus adjacent towns, due to that cross-traffic I mentioned earlier. Then another question would be how close you'd like to be to the city, for when you need that urban fix. That would affect whether, for example, Marblehead (farther out) or Beverly (closer in) would work better. Okay, it's true that there are a lot of families in reataurants in the 'burbs, and when you're new to the area you may have to get a feel for the place and search out the eateries that suit you best, but you should defintitely be okay finding what you're describing in your later post. Best of luck with your search.

Last edited by ogre; 08-03-2009 at 11:15 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 AM

Thanks again. I grew up in Lexington so I know the metro Boston area well. Framingham isn't what I'm looking for. I'd really like to be on the coast. I'm leaning towards Marblehead and Beverly at this point.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 PM

Yeah, I was not meaning to recommend Framingham, which does not sound like what you are looking for. I was just making the point that if even some restaurants in very suburban F'ham get their regular collections of single patrons, this provides a pretty good indication that this situation can be found in the 'burbs. Sounds as if Beverly and Marblehead are good towns to check closely for what you want. Then of course there's the question of how much you want to rely on local entertainment versus ready access to the city, as M'head is some distance from town.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begreen13 View Post
Thanks again. I grew up in Lexington so I know the metro Boston area well. Framingham isn't what I'm looking for. I'd really like to be on the coast. I'm leaning towards Marblehead and Beverly at this point.
The 2 towns, are great, a bit from Boston, maybe, also
geared towards money, and family with kids! Anyway, if you did grow up in
Lexington, that is a great place, and, maybe Beverly would fit you best.
Marblehead, has water, but it is further from the city? Welcome to Boston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts