Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Please. I'd much rather be in Worcester than: Roxbury, Dorchester, Springfield, Holyoke, Lawrence, Brockton, Fitchburg, Lowell, Revere, Chelsea... well, you get the point.

I was just saying that the rude people, terrible driving, and crummy roads are all over this state and not just exclusive to Worcester.
Hey, I'd rather be in hell than in any other those places you mentioned lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:49 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Please. I'd much rather be in Worcester than: Roxbury, Dorchester, Springfield, Holyoke, Lawrence, Brockton, Fitchburg, Lowell, Revere, Chelsea... well, you get the point.

I was just saying that the rude people, terrible driving, and crummy roads are all over this state and not just exclusive to Worcester.
And my point is if you're going to say Worcester is a little better than some of the worst s-holes in MA you really aren't making a case. I'm not talking about rude people, bad drivers, and roads either.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:05 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Well I'm looking forward to visiting later in the year.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 9,493 times
HI MERVDOG

my name is morris. me and my and my familly are going to move to worcester soon.
you sound like you really know the place and love it
right now we are looking for appartments. could you please give me some information about the neighborhoods that i should look in to around the UMMS.
I would really apreciate it
thanks
here is my email : [EMAIL="mnehama@gmail.com"]mnehama@gmail.com[/EMAIL]
morris

Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 AM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
And my point is if you're going to say Worcester is a little better than some of the worst s-holes in MA you really aren't making a case. I'm not talking about rude people, bad drivers, and roads either.
I know, I know... late reply.

But what's your case? The worst "s-holes" (as you put it) in MA aren't as bad as the worst "s-holes" in the rest of the country. Dorchester is an umbrella term for an area encompassing MANY neighborhoods, some not so wonderful, but others excellent. Chelsea may not be gorgeous, but it's not a bad city. Fitchburg has a rough economy, but again, not a bad town. Revere also isn't beautiful (I don't think the beach area is terrible) but isn't a bad town. Roxbury has hit and miss areas, but some aren't bad at all. Lowell, Springfield, etc have bad neighborhoods and great ones. Lowell has a lot of history and a pretty cool city center. Worcester is similar... there are areas to avoid, but it's not a bad city at all. Certainly not even close to some of the "s-holes" elsewhere. I'd take any of Massachusetts "S-holes" over Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, Richmond (CA or VA), Houston, etc.

The real issue is that many people in Massachusetts (and New England) have an aversion to any urban area other than Boston (or a few other regional urban centers like Providence, Portland, etc). Cities like Worcester, Lowell, Springfield, Manchester, etc all sit in the shadow of greater Boston. It's impossible for those cities to offer what Boston does and it's unfair to chastise or label them negatively because they can't compare. It's also unfair to expect these smaller urban areas to offer the pristine environment that the well-to-do suburbs do. As diverse urban areas, they can't do this either.

What these cities do is provide affordable urban alternatives to the sometimes prohibitively priced Boston area. They offer history, diversity, culture, entertainment, etc that one would look for in an urban area. No, not on the same level as Boston, but few cities do. To label them "s-holes" is unfair and displays a pretty decent quantity of ignorance and lack of knowledge base. If you think Worcester is bad, you need to get out of New England more.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 AM

65 posts, read 248,613 times
hello everyone. these posts have been very helpful. i'm interviewing for a job in worcester and have been wondering about the city. i've never been, and have actually been focusing on providence. but i have a potential job opportunity in west boylston and may have to reconsider where i live. seems like a long commute from providence.

i am a single, 31 year-old female. i grew up in buffalo (kind of a rough town), so i'm used to city life. i'll be looking to live IN worcester (i'll shrivel up and die in the suburbs!) i enjoy eclectic cuisine, live music, art, wine, good beer, hockey, outdoor activity, taking walks around my hood, etc... i'm used to an urban lifestyle in an old city with an edge.

any ideas or suggestions for good neighborhoods would be much appreciated. i'll be living alone, so i'd like to be safe, but not bored. and not pay through my nose for rent.

looking forward to your feedback. thanks!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
kv.ny,
I suggest you re-post your query as a new thread- people might not see you piping into this current discussion.
You'd probably love living in Providence, but yes, it's quite the commute- lots of wear and tear on the car/expense, and considerable time. If you were doing it five days a week, I think it would get old fast.
I don't know much about Worcester neighborhoods, so can't help you there. Offhand, I don't know that it has a neighborhood or area as you mention, but Providence does (and housing is more affordable than the Boston/Cambridge young person/art/etc. mecca.
Best wishes.
Hey, you could always start in Providence and if the commute doesn't work for you, move up to Worcester, with your job settled and maybe more local people to talk to about where to live?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 AM

65 posts, read 248,613 times
brightdoglover,
thank you for the suggestions; i just started a new thread. and thanks for the input.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,230 times
im from worcester and live in main south and if u really no worcester than u no what kind of **** whol it is all u see is people on the cornor selling drugs. u see people high on herion noding out, needles on the streets. when your working dont look at people wrong cause u will get **** up. and dont go down kilby street at night time. and stay straped when walking at night. there are some nice places in worcester but i dont no to meny nice or out going people who live in worcester.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 AM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben dora View Post
im from worcester and live in main south and if u really no worcester than u no what kind of **** whol it is all u see is people on the cornor selling drugs. u see people high on herion noding out, needles on the streets. when your working dont look at people wrong cause u will get **** up. and dont go down kilby street at night time. and stay straped when walking at night. there are some nice places in worcester but i dont no to meny nice or out going people who live in worcester.
Is it a "**** whol" because of terrible education and poor spelling? Also, don't most cities have the same problems you have listed? I can't think of one city that doesn't have drugs, a few bad streets or neighborhoods, some "rough" characters, etc. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you've probably never lived anywhere else in the country. Just a hunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts