Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 AM

91 posts, read 280,183 times

Advertisements

So I toy and threaten to leave MA all the time. I'm a life long resident (all of my 35+ years) - and I see that in other areas of the country, housing is much more reasonable, the weather is more pleasant and the overall initial feeling I get from the other areas is positive.

I know the job market is crap right now BUT - if I do decide to move to a lower cost of living area, is it really worth it?

My dream is to own my own home. Not finance some old, run down, needs a ton of work that will cost me $2k a month in mortgage payments here in MA. Plus the taxes and the snow every flippin winter.

I fantasize about owning a cute home in South Carolina for $100k or a nice stucco home in AZ for $100k.....

Is it 6 of one, half dozen of another moving to another state? Especially when wages factor in?

Should I suck it up and stay in MA?

Any advice? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Darinsmom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
What do you do for work?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 AM

I've been in Human Resources for 13 years.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:54 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
You should move for the same reasons I am because "yes" it's all relative.
I live in Phoenix and you can get a decent home here (newer, a lot of new homes) but they are not close so you have to drive far for work, etc. Great if you're retiring though.

The salary you get here will be less for most people, depending on your field, but usually lower. It's a right to work state so stability is not very good. They can fire you for anything at anytime. No government services, our unemployment pay is 49th in the country. Education is 50th. Walmart is one of our largest employers. Its like the "walmart" of the U.S. It's cheap but in the long run not really because you have to buy everything separate. Nothing comes with it. Keep that in mind.
No real public transport, everyone drives a car! It says we have it, but it's only for people who can't afford a car if you know what I mean?

We have a lot of people moving here to escape the snow though, and are happy with that decision.
I think living any place for a long time is a "no, no". It leaves one feeling like they haven't experienced anything. That's why I'm moving, I've lived in the valley of the sun for years and need a change.
Checking the price difference though with the Cape I find it to even out in the end. ( Maybe a little higher on the Cape, but not by that much.) I'll see when I get there. lol

The rent is about the same, (housing prices are much the same), the electric bills are high here for 6 months with our summers, the Cape is high in the winter. Food will be higher on the Cape except for seafood (which I miss) and thats a lot cheaper than PHX. Produce is higher here except for citrus. In this climate citrus grows local.
Mexican food is a cheaper way to go down here but like I said seafood or steak is higher in the desert.

I don't have to pay for a private school in MA, nor do I have to pay as much for health insurance. Entertainment is a lot more accessible in Cape Cod for the kids with the festivals and beaches. In Phoenix you have to drive farther, and well, what beach? It's a trip to California if you want some beach. lol

But, if you are sick of MA, then all I've mentioned won't matter. Just like the sunshine in the winter here doesn't matter to me anymore. lol The "newer" homes don't matter anymore either. I'm just really bored with everything here and need a change. I'm looking forward to seasons, snow, different type of person, just everything will be a change and thats what I want.

I would try it, you can always return. But, let me warn you, save some money for that return trip so that you don't get stuck somewhere you can't get out. Another problem with moving to a "cheaper" state is that you have a harder time going back to one that cost more. lol Easier to go the other way. When your salary is low, it becomes hard to save money. Your salary will match the housing............anywhere you go. If it's cheaper for homes, food, etc. you won't make as much monthly either. It evens out for most, or else everyone in the U.S. would live in the sunshine states! lol
You also get what you pay for, this is what I mean by "you have to buy everything separate". Republican states have less offered so you have to buy it all. Insurance, benefits, (no unions, pensions, etc.) Add it all up depending on what you will need, keep in mind anyone can lose a job now and see what the state you choose pays for unemployment until you find another job. Or if they pay it at all. People on our threads are complaining about not getting their money for 6 months or longer.
PM me if you have any AZ questions, I've been here a long time and can answer them all! You will love the winters for sure! The homes are really new looking compared to MA, roads are smooth, there will be a lot you do like about it. You should get out and explore the country, before it's to late!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM

Twiggy - You have mail.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Besides the lower real estate prices, what else are you looking to find in a new location? The reason I ask is because other than warmer weather, places like Arizona and South Carolina are very different. Why those 2?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 AM

I chose those 2 randomly really - although I've been to SC and I love it there. My nephew moved there 6 yrs ago and won't come back. The people are fantastic, the weather is beautiful and again, the cost of living is lower.

I chose AZ strictly on the stucco homes. Love the look. I have always been intrigued by living in the desert but I have never visited there. Again, I have a dear friend who moved there back in 2005 and he said he will never return to MA. He was a life long MA resident, too, until a job forced his move to AZ. He has a beautiful home there and he said the best part is NO SNOW!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
The Carolinas do seem very nice. Nice moderate climate and very reasonably priced.
My boyfriend's best friend lives in NC. However I couldn't live there... too christian for me and I need a more sophisticated area to work and live it. I'm a contented New Englander for life.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:20 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
Housing is without a doubt expensive in MA. I just think you really need to research the area that you move to. Consider taxes, insurance, utilities, gas, etc. That may all even out or not. Are there jobs in your field, how plentiful, what's the average pay and is there a way to advance career wise?

The house you have in MA may cost 400K and while the housing may be cheaper elsewhere; by how much? A similar home in a good area may still cost you 250K. A lot cheaper than 400K, but still not 100K. Areas where the homes are 100K may not serve your needs. They may be too remote socially or too remote for good job opportunities.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:20 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Oh, okay, I was just puzzled because the areas are so different. I like SC a lot, but I know I couldn't stand living in Arizona, lol.

Well, you are doing the right thing by asking as many questions as you can on the different state forums. Try to get as much feedback as you can from other former New England residents who have made the move, especially the natives who grew up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts