Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 AM

4 posts, read 10,267 times

Advertisements

I might be moving (depending on job) near Boston. I currently live in a smaller town about 15 miles from New York.

I would be looking for the following in the town:

1) Within a 30-45 minute commute via train/car to Boston
2) Walkable downtown with rests/bars/train station,etc
3) Safe town

Thanks for all your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:08 AM

65 posts, read 233,942 times
Whats the price range you're looking for?....varies widely depending on what suburb we suggest.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 AM

4 posts, read 10,267 times
Well, Im open to buy or rent. And I very flexible as to what type of residence (smaller apartment/condo) is fine. So for now lets say $ isnt a huge issue, save for the MOST expensive areas.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:44 AM

406 posts, read 1,496,159 times
Well, by your criteria I could recommend a vast range of areas...from Newton or Winchester where you'd pay $700k + to buy and $2500k + to rent to Quincy or Malden where that average could be more like $330k to buy and $1500k + to rent. But it really depends on more of what your budget actually is and what qualities you look for in an inner suburb. We have many, and they are very, very different from each other.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:30 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
My suggestions about the areas I know: Newton near Newton Centre; Waltham near Moody St,; Quincy near Quincy Center and Wollaston. Newton is the more expensive and upscale of the three.

There are others too, it really depends on your budget and specifically what you're looking for.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Cool Waltham

I second Waltham its a hip , happenin' area. :-) with good transit into Boston via commuter rail service.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 19,165 times
If money is indeed not an issue - Beacon Hill, Back Bay are the best fit followed by Brookline, Cambridge and Sommerville. If these towns / areas are too expensive or hoity toity, I would agree with DreamworksSKG, Waltham is your next best option.

You could also consider Newton Corner which has a sizable young population, and a very quick commute to downtown (~15 min on MBTA express buses).

Old 08-12-2009, 08:49 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Cool Wakefield-Melrose

Wakefield and Melrose are nice, Wakefield has a bit more to do ...- Melrose is a bit quieter.

Both have commuter rail into Boston

Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
If you're fifteen miles from NYC, you will be pleasantly suprised by how quiet and liveable Boston itself is. Fifteen miles from Boston is like 30 to 40 miles from NYC if you get my drift--it gets country very fast around here.

There is not the same divide between city and suburb in Boston as there is in NYC. What I'm saying is the city is much more approachable and easier to deal with than NYC.

Brookline is very close and bustling. Jamaica Plain is a fun urban neighborhood with lots of green space. Cambridge is an exciting place to be. I like Somerville, but it's kind of Hoboken-like to me, meaning not a lot of trees and lots of young people.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:44 AM

12 posts, read 107,135 times
For renting I would definitely say Davis Square, Somerville. I feel like it is the place to be for young and trendy professionals. South Boston is the same, for a more traditional preppy North-Face vibe. If you are looking to make an investment, Medford offers an affordable housing stock with a close proximity to Boston with an express bus going into the city. Watertown does the same, is close to the Mass Pike, has a great restaraunt stock, local malls, grade B+ school system, and abbuts Cambridge. I feel as if the homes in Watertown almost never loose their value as its geographic location offers many advantages to both City-slickers and people whom work in the suburbs. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts