Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 24,501 times

Advertisements

every time i mention to anyone that i want to move to the cape, all i hear is " it's so expensive to live there" " we wanted to retire there but couldn't afford it" " you have to be wealthy to live there" " you have to be a lawyer or dr. to live there" " no one can afford to live there". well i know people live there and i know they are not all dr's and lawyers. i'm not wealthy and i'm not a professional, i just want to live on the cape. is it really so hard to survive on the cape? i live in central mass and i see poverty, lots of homeless people, drug addicts, abandond homes, lots of crime that is trickling into the small towns. it seems to me people around here are having a hard time surviving. is it like that anywhere on the cape? do people really struggle to survive there? i am ready to sell all i own, and take a leap of faith and move there, has any one ever taken a leap of faith like that? or have i compleatly lost touch with reality. i still have my sense of humor.

from an inland prisioner of pessimistic people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
I am always wondering this very thing. I've compared rent, electric, gas, and food. Cost of insurance, cars and I can't see that big of an increase from what I pay right now in AZ. I figure I will find out when I get there because I do hear this a lot. You know the locals that are on this forum don't tell me that though. They say some things are more expensive, but not everything. I noticed things like milk and butter being a dollar more, but then a lot of veggies and seafood is a lot cheaper for me. These things cost a lot in the desert, but our citrus is cheaper. (I get the Cape Cod times mailed to me) All in all, I will be spending about 500 more a month I figure for rent and food, but get a beach, festivals, and a lot of services I don't have here. If I factor in health care, insurance cost then I actually save 500 a month. I pay much more for my private insurance with 3 kids then I will under the MA health care system. Oh, and we make more money in MA then out here in AZ. About 20,000 more a year. So.....????? Still wondering this myself.......
Can't wait to read the answers you get from the Cape Codders.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:32 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
sh45, I don't know if it's actual negativity, but more making people aware of the obstacles involved in living there. Tell us a little more about your situation.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:00 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
They are trying to keep you away for selfish reasons.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:54 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
sh45, I took a leap of faith 30 years ago and moved from Westborough to Brewster. Still here today and I'm not scarred for life!!! lol

It was far tougher thirty years ago to make a living down here... winters were especially tough back then. The population has more than doubled for year rounders in that time and with that change came more year round requirements and necessities which were filled with new businesses which sprouted up.

The Cape is now a year round community and if you're not picky about what you do for work, there is always work to be found.

I don't know what your particular situation is, but I think if you want something bad enough to sell everything and make a go of it, then you will succeed.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 15,553 times
Default Moving to Cape Cod

I have been living on the Cape for about 20 years, having moved here from the Boston suburbs. The pros are: beautiful scenery, slower pace, less traffic (than the city or suburbs) 9 months of the year, lower real estate prices (away from the water) than compared with the city/suburbs.

The cons: Very few employment opportunities, and the ones that exist are primarily lower income. Higher taxes, few town services, higher prices on everything from gasoline to groceries and clothes. Horrible traffic 3 months a year.

You also have to know where you are moving to. Upper Cape (Sandwich, Falmouth, Bourne, Mashpee) plus the Barstable villages of Osterville, Cotuit, and Centerville, tend to be younger and more upscale families (although Falmouth and Mashpee do have significant low end populaces). Lower Cape (Eastham, Orleans, Chatham, Wellfleet, Harwich, Brewster) tends to be older retired people. Mid Cape (Hyannis, Yarmouth, Dennis) have a lot of young transient people, and significant drug issues.

The Cape is a beautiful place to live and work if you can make it all happen. The best employment opportunities are for either someone with a trade (Doctor. Lawyer, Electrician, Plumber), or someone employed in the medical industry. A lot of people move back home after a few years because they can't find a decent job, or find themselves travelling an hour off Cape to find work.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:34 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
You've already received many good answers. One huge misconception I read is that the Cape closes down after Labor Day and stays that way until Memorial Day. They tend to go on that the boredom leads to drug and alcohol abuse. Generally I find people who have that opinion are the type that need instant gratification and constant entertainment. Sure some places close up after the season and there are fewer events that take place but the Cape takes on new vibe that anyone who loves living here, looks forward to that.

Also the idea that you have to be rich to live on Cape is not accurate. If you are willing to work hard, as Coastal mentioned, you will find work. The economic diversity in many towns is startling. You can find homes in the millions and homes in the the low 100K's in the same zip code.

Good luck to you whatever you decide!

Old 08-14-2009, 10:53 AM

502 posts, read 1,391,525 times
I've been eavesdropping on this thread and am happy to read the above posts... we're self-employed and considering the Cape. I'm so tired of pessimists and people who look on the dark side of things.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:13 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid9562 View Post
I have been living on the Cape for about 20 years, having moved here from the Boston suburbs. The pros are: beautiful scenery, slower pace, less traffic (than the city or suburbs) 9 months of the year, lower real estate prices (away from the water) than compared with the city/suburbs.

The cons: Very few employment opportunities, and the ones that exist are primarily lower income. Higher taxes, few town services, higher prices on everything from gasoline to groceries and clothes. Horrible traffic 3 months a year.

You also have to know where you are moving to. Upper Cape (Sandwich, Falmouth, Bourne, Mashpee) plus the Barstable villages of Osterville, Cotuit, and Centerville, tend to be younger and more upscale families (although Falmouth and Mashpee do have significant low end populaces). Lower Cape (Eastham, Orleans, Chatham, Wellfleet, Harwich, Brewster) tends to be older retired people. Mid Cape (Hyannis, Yarmouth, Dennis) have a lot of young transient people, and significant drug issues.

The Cape is a beautiful place to live and work if you can make it all happen. The best employment opportunities are for either someone with a trade (Doctor. Lawyer, Electrician, Plumber), or someone employed in the medical industry. A lot of people move back home after a few years because they can't find a decent job, or find themselves travelling an hour off Cape to find work.
If what you posted was accurate, the Cape would be full of only those professions and trades. What a bunch of total hooey.

Brewster has 10k+ full time year round residents now and has a healthy does of middle income younger families. I'd like to see your statistical data for your info, especially since that was your first post.

There are hairdressers, barbers, opticians, store managers, supervisors, etc. who all earn decent livings and are able to live year round on the Cape. There are a dearth of carpenters and landscapers as well as house painters and odd job handy men all making a good 'go' of it here.

I don't know what town services you think are lacking? Please list them town by town so your post has some 'tooth' to it.

Many people with young families moved down in the 80's and 90's swelling most town populations by as much as 1,000%. With that influx came new businesses that started up which required more staffing. What was once a seasonal and difficult place to survive year round in, is now a year round thriving suburban, but quiet location to raise a family.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:02 PM

91 posts, read 280,183 times
I am a life long MA resident and moved to the Cape 6 years ago when my husband's construction business was booming. He has since sold the business and is working for someone else (economy driven) and I secured a wonderful job in Woods Hole.

I live mid Cape - (think Hyannis area) and my commute is 45 mins - 1 hour (summer time) - I adore living here. I love living 1.5 miles from the beach, working down the street from the ocean, I love the people here, I love the scenery - there are so many positives to living here.

However, I will say that finding work on the Cape is difficult. It took me 5 years of commuting *off Cape* and fighting the weekend traffic to secure the job I have now. It was worth it, too. I have always been a commuter, so that doesn't bother me so much.

The cost of living has gone down (economy driven) and your taxes tend to be lower on the Cape. Our 3 bed/2 bath home is $1,600/yr for property taxes. I really enjoy living here.

I am tired of the snow, though. I have mentioned that in many posts before. It's just me. I don't like driving in it, shoveling it, I hate black ice - blech! I'm a big fat chicken driving in it and I've been driving for almost 20 years! (I still hate it!)

My desire is to move South for a while, try it out and if I absolutely miss MA, I can always come back, but the Cape is wonderful.

Twiggy - you will really love living here. I mean that. Don't let my hatred of the snow scare you off. You've got your ducks in a row. I see good things happening for you here in MA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts