Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 04:37 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

Regardless of political ideology I think we can generally say that the more noticeable problems are the more likelihood that actions will be taken. Remember back in the 50's and 60's when breast cancer was talked about in hushed tones behind doors? Then the long stigma of AIDS in the 80's before it was taken seriously. That might be where we are today with drugs.

Mental health is the 3rd rail in the USA. For some reason we thought that if we simply put people on meds and took them out of the shelters that cared for them that this experiment would work. It hasn't. And it hasn't for 60 years.

The trouble is if mental health is funded by the government it becomes political.
If it becomes private it then is accused of outrageous profits
If it becomes a non profit it won't attract enough to hire people.

Prevention is key. At the same point though there has to be some tough love. The clock ticks and opportunity costs add up. I was in a citizen police academy once and an officer said "What do you do with a 54 year old heroin dealer that's been arrested and charged 10 times". We don't really have answers for that. I'm all for giving people second chances but when we start talking double digits and decades go by.

The economic costs are paid for by all of us. Lost productivity, increased prison costs, increased police costs, sucking up court time that could be used for other things, higher insurance costs on other people etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 08:16 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have no idea what this has to do with drug policy. And we had almost 50% voting for a white nationalist party. There is only one human race, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You have a very different set of social services in small affluent countries with homogeneous populations. It's far easier to vote in a generous safety net when those less fortunate are your neighbors sharing your language, values, and culture. The Nordic countries are much different from the UK where it's a far more heterogeneous population. That applies to drug policy since actually treating people is really expensive. The Brit NHS drug addiction treatment is nothing like the Nordic countries, just like the rest of Brit health care.

25% of the Massachusetts state budget is Medicaid. Where does the funding come from for expensive drug treatment programs? Steal more from the education budget so the poor city schools aren't funded? That's the next 25% of the budget. Hike taxes? That's not going to fly on Beacon Hill in a state with a flat income tax.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:14 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You have a very different set of social services in small affluent countries with homogeneous populations. It's far easier to vote in a generous safety net when those less fortunate are your neighbors sharing your language, values, and culture. The Nordic countries are much different from the UK where it's a far more heterogeneous population. That applies to drug policy since actually treating people is really expensive. The Brit NHS drug addiction treatment is nothing like the Nordic countries, just like the rest of Brit health care.

25% of the Massachusetts state budget is Medicaid. Where does the funding come from for expensive drug treatment programs? Steal more from the education budget so the poor city schools aren't funded? That's the next 25% of the budget. Hike taxes? That's not going to fly on Beacon Hill in a state with a flat income tax.

Drug treatment programs can be a fraction of the cost of how we do it, and achieve better success. Our system is incredibly expensive with marginal success rates. There is A LOT of profit in our rehab system, and loads of it being siphoned by for providers contracted with the industrial corrections industry.

There are also proven ways to prevent young people from getting into drugs in the first place, which is far more cost effective. We just need the will to invest in it.

But if some bozos don't want to pay to help someone a few blocks over because they go to a different church, or eat different food, or have a different amount of melanin in our skin then we deserve to be doomed as a society.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,096 times
Default Stay Away!

I was born and raised there and left as soon as I was old enough to do so legally. It is a pit! Negative population growth, real estate values decreasing by 3% per year, high crime and one of the worst education systems in the country. They push you through high school so they won't have to put up with you another year. Can't read, no problem...here's your diploma. I couldn't leave fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Hi,

I always drive by Fall River on my way to MA. I have also spent time in Providence, New Bedford and the towns surrounding it but never Fall River. Maybe that is because there isnt much to draw me there. Anyone live in Fall River I am curious what your opinion of it is.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts